Show your Monster Collection(s)

Started by hhwolfman, December 01, 2007, 12:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Smith Monsternut

I'm impressed  how neat and organized your collections are! Mine is a dusty mess and stuck everywhere " even on the ceiling :)" in my little cottage/studio.  When you find the time to clean everything? Do your wives clean them for you? Mine will not touch my stuff and after she threw out my original Jack Davis 6 foot Frank poster years ago  and I really don't want her to .

My Mom used to bust up my stuff on her cleaning sprees back when I was a little monster kid too. They have no respect for the great art of monster collecting !

But I really got to invest in some glass cabinets someday .

Best..
tom
Tom Smith " Dr. Deadly"

Toy Ranch

Tom, I have a rule about cleaning a shelf a week, and just go around the room and keep it cleaned off.  It's not a perfect plan, but seems to do fairly well.  My monster room is also my office, and where my computer is...  so I spend a lot of time in it every day. 

NekroDave

fmofmpls, you're display is INCREDIBLE! I love that you've got an old school gothic chandelier covered in cobwebs. Such a nice touch, along with the wallpaper.

I hate all of you though. I have neither the room nor the money to be starting another collection... but after seeing these pics, I have no choice. lol I think I'll go slow though. Maybe one little thing each week.

The Phantom Creep

Cleaning is no problem, I just don't do it. I know I should but..... well I don't. The only time it kinda happens is when I'm reorganizing. Having glass cases helps but as you can see a lot of my stuff is just out in the open. And my computer is set up in my monster museum as well.
"Ladies and gentlemen, please do not panic. But  SCREAM!! Scream for your lives!!"

Meek

Professor: Is that really a bust of Pallus that your Raven is perched on? I still want to know who in the respective households dusts all this stuff? Or do cries of "Don't be touchin' my stuff!" echo off the walls, out the doors and down the streets?

"Meek"(done and dusted)

There is an amazing amount of covet-able THINGS on display...
MY Monster room is too small to swing a Pendulum, but hopefully bigger digs means a bigger Monster Room...at least that's what my wife tells me!

These pictures are OLD, and I am currently in the midst of a massive re-organization.  Inspired by some of the collections I've seen in the group, I am MIXING my monsters.  Yes, the shelves will contain groups of Monsters in sets...all the Mego monsters together, all my Auroras together, etc...
Formally they were all segregated as you'll see.

I have a LOT more items and even added a couple of more shelves but the wall paint job is the same, and the Moon and the stars STILL glow in the dark...

I'll take all new pics soon...but for now, here is what was...

[/quote]
"I am like a Unicorn in a racing stable. Beast doesn't fit."   T.E.Lawrence

Toy Ranch

Great monster room, Meek!  ;D

I love your painted walls and UMA purple! 

Quote from: Meek on December 08, 2007, 02:37:56 PM
I still want to know who in the respective households dusts all this stuff? Or do cries of "Don't be touchin' my stuff!" echo off the walls, out the doors and down the streets?

"Meek"(done and dusted)

Dusting is fun time.  That's when I play with my toys!  If they just sit there and you don't dust them, you don't get to take them out and play with them.  I especially love getting around to the batt op toys because I get to put batteries in them and fire them up!

Creechs Lil bro

raycastile

I like the Mad Monster Castile and would surely buy a complete mint-in-box one for $500 if I had the opportunity.  But $1,000-$1,500?  Nah.  There are too many other things I'd rather own.  If it was an AHI monster castle, I'd snatch it up.

I own one solid-boxed set and one loose set of Mego Mad Monsters.  I used to have a loose, naked red-haired Dracula.  I sold him years ago.  The money was too good to pass up (about $450).  If it had been my only example of a rare AHI variation, I would never have parted with him.  I also used to own a Kresge-carded Wolfman, but sold him.  The card was rough and the bubble resealed.  Bad condition + good money = SELL.  But not if it had been an AHI or Lincoln!

I just can't see spending a lot on window-boxed Mad Monsters, Kresge cards, Lionrock cards, etc.  They are cool to see in other people's collections, but I'm satisfied with my solid-boxed set.  The solid boxes are the way I remember them from childhood, and are probably the most iconic and typical packaging style for this toy series.  I might upgrade a couple of my solid boxes one day, but I don't expect to buy the more expensive package variations any time soon, unless a super deal falls in my lap or I stumble on a "hidden" auction.

As for the Castle, yeah, I'm sure I'll buy it one of these days, but it's low on my priority list.

Quote from: hhwolfman on December 08, 2007, 11:18:05 AM
I keep passing on the only one I ever see for $1300 One day I will have one. ;)
Raymond Castile

raycastile

Meek has the best wall decor so far.

Bobby, what is that orange-jacketed Frankenstein statue standing next to your other big Franks?
Raymond Castile

Toy Ranch

Quote from: raycastile on December 08, 2007, 07:23:26 PM
Bobby, what is that orange-jacketed Frankenstein statue standing next to your other big Franks?

It's a Mexican knockoff/bank off the TCI statue.  Bigger than the TCI, but same sculpt.  I got it in the early 90's in a trade with that guy in LA you were friends with...  Ron

Toy Ranch

Hey Zombophoto...

What is this cardboard box?

ramsey37

Quote from: raycastile on December 08, 2007, 07:20:43 PM

I used to have a loose, naked red-haired Dracula.  I sold him years ago.  The money was too good to pass up (about $450). 
I remember that auction. I believe ChrisDVM from the Mego Museum won that one. On a side note, how many Red-Haired Draculas and Blue-Haired Frankensteins do you think are out there? I've seen several of the Draculas, but I'm only aware of two Blue-Haired Frankensteins.
George
Where apathy is master, all men are slaves.

fmofmpls

Quote from: NekroDave on December 08, 2007, 12:31:01 PM
fmofmpls, you're display is INCREDIBLE! I love that you've got an old school gothic chandelier covered in cobwebs. Such a nice touch, along with the wallpaper.

Thanks Nekro Dave! The chandelier was something I found at a garage sale. I then went to Home Depot and bought 6 flicker flame bulbs for extra added realism! LOL!

QuoteI hate all of you though. I have neither the room nor the money to be starting another collection... but after seeing these pics, I have no choice. lol I think I'll go slow though. Maybe one little thing each week.

And that's how all good collections begin - small. Never mind the space issues or even the money concerns, if the love is there .. it'll find a way. I know that sounds corny, but it's true. And whatever you do, don't fall victim to the comparison game. It doesn't matter who has what. All that matters is your personal enjoyment of the crap you do own and not obsessing over stuff that you don't. This is the secret to building a long and prosperous monster collection.

The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

fmofmpls

Quote from: ZOMBOPHOTO on December 08, 2007, 01:15:19 PM
Cleaning is no problem, I just don't do it. I know I should but..... well I don't. The only time it kinda happens is when I'm reorganizing.

Zombo, I'm so glad you said this. Misery loves company because I also do not dust. I gave up a long time ago. Now I just reconcile my poor cleaning skills with telling everyone the dust makes it all look even more creepy! Did the Munsters ever dust anything? I think not.  :)
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

NekroDave

Thanks for the advice!  I hate to say it, but traditionally I've been VERY competitive in my collecting, lol. However with the monster stuff, there is just so  much out there that I could get to make a collection look nice, even if I don't necessarily have anything rare or valuable, that I think I'll be satisfied. It's how it looks that's gonna be more important to me than anything else.

Btw, great point about the dust! I can see how it could totally enhance a monster collection (as opposed to something else). I remember when I was a kid, I had a few EC horror mags hanging about a door, sporting some old, nurtured spider webs. Man, they looked great like that until my mom stupidly knocked them down. I was furious. lol.