King Kong vs Snake 1970s Model

Started by YoungestMonsterKid, April 13, 2024, 10:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungestMonsterKid

Ok, so I've always loved looking at the pictures of the model mentioned above. It went unreleased in 1976, and I don't know if the prototype even survives anymore. But I'm curious. Does anyone know anything about it?
It appeared in a catalogue and a TV commercial, so we know they made it. But apparently only the "Last Stand" model kit (of Kong on the WTC) was released.

Hepcat

For which company was the prototype produced?

???

Collecting! It's what I do!

YoungestMonsterKid

It was Mego. They had the license for the 1976 movie. Again, they made two Kong models, but only released the one with him on top of the WTC. (Which is a rather boring looking model, IMO).

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: Mike Scott on April 13, 2024, 03:03:05 PMIsn't it kind of small, too?
Overall, I think the model is normal sized, just Kong himself is really small, as a result.
Here's the commercial to get an idea of scale:

Mike Scott

Quote from: YoungestMonsterKid on April 13, 2024, 04:20:25 PMOverall, I think the model is normal sized, just Kong himself is really small

Bigger that I thought it was, though. That 4 ft. target game is pretty big!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

YoungestMonsterKid

I feel like adding, CultTVMan did apparently do some conversion pieces to work with the "Mighty Kogar" model, and it sort of recreates this lost model.
I have the Kogar model, so I hope one day I find theses Kong pieces.

Dr.Terror

As far as I know that's the original sculpt being used in the catalog/commercial.    I've not seen a pic in any collection or even mentions of it.   I would assume it's gone. 
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: Dr.Terror on April 15, 2024, 08:52:37 AMAs far as I know that's the original sculpt being used in the catalog/commercial.    I've not seen a pic in any collection or even mentions of it.   I would assume it's gone. 
I mean, the kid is shown putting the trees on the model. So it's possibly a model and not the original sculpt. But hey, maybe it is an original sculpt and the trees were removable?

Dr.Terror

"Sculpt"  as in a hard solid resin  casting of it used for preproduction work.  They are usually in multiple parts.  You can see seams on his wrists. That's why the trees can be removed.   Obviously I did not mean the actual clay or acetate sculpture.   
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: Dr.Terror on April 15, 2024, 04:37:49 PM"Sculpt"  as in a hard solid resin  casting of it used for preproduction work.  They are usually in multiple parts.  You can see seams on his wrists. That's why the trees can be removed.   Obviously I did not mean the actual clay or acetate sculpture.   
Ah ok.
I'll admit, I'm ignorant to the process models are originally made.

Monolith

I always wanted that model of Kong fighting the snake. I never saw one in anyones collection over the years though. I have the Mego model of him on top of the world Trade Center and I have the big Mego target Kong...

1970's Mego King Kong by donald deveau, on Flickr