Your collection: changes through the years. Evolve or Horde?

Started by Anton Phibes, March 08, 2016, 09:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skully

Hi Hepcat!!  Well, I got really lucky a few times, I got the model collecting bug actually from my brother-in-law who collected. Seeing those old kits really brought me back to the "good old days" of the 60's for me, I joined a model club called "collectors clearinghouse", which was an avid group of both collectors and builders. I even helped write books from this club on collecting, pricing, and gave many photos. At that time, John Green, and Toy Scouts were prominent in the world of collecting kits, I eventually traded many of my Aurora's to Bill from Toy Scouts for some original Aurora Artwork. I actually at the time used my 2 car garage for the storage of the kits, everything was nice and orderly. I would constantly put ads in the local newspaper to buy kits, go to all the flea markets, yard sales, and shows to aquire what I had, I also had people come to my booth at Renningers that saw some of what I had, and eventually sold me kits. I collected for many years, and still buy if it's a good deal, the love of kits actually never left me.  At the peak of my collecting during the late 80's and early 90's, I became one of the top collectors of unbuilt kits. Many opportunities were still had back then, unlike today. As an example, I remember buying mint Revell gift sets for the meager price of 10 dollars from a dealer who dealt in paper, he had no idea as to their true value, I then traded some of them to a collector in Japan, for a mint in box Godzilla's go cart, and other very rare monster kits from Japan!!  I always went the extra mile to aquire collectibles, be it models, monsters, artwork, or whatever.

Frankenmummy

I mostly only collect toys I had & that meant a lot to me when I was younger... Certain 1960-70s Gijoes & accessories, certain robots, & some other toys... And now I just mainly collect my favorite Monster figures because they were a part of my childhood through watching Chiller Theatre on TV...
I do not sell anything either... :laugh:
JIM

Hepcat

Quote from: Anton Phibes on March 08, 2016, 09:42:43 PMSo-- do you ever get rid of anything. if so, have you regretted it? If not, why? Do you find yourself pining for things that you stumble across you have sold off in the past and thought: "You know what--I should get those back."

There have been a very few times I've sold something off from my collection because I've redefined my collecting activities. I've usually regretted it though because I found I ended up wishing I still had the item. Therefore I haven't soldl anything off from my collection, other than doubles, in over fifteen years.

Quote from: Anton Phibes on March 08, 2016, 09:42:43 PMDoes your collection evolve or does it just grow continuously?? Just curious if anyone else has the "Always buy--never sell" motto they engage in with regards to their collections.

As a result my collection never contracts; it only grows. When my income is down, it just grows more slowly, that's all.

Quote from: Anton Phibes on March 08, 2016, 09:42:43 PM...a friend of mine who collects primarily Master of the Universe. He buys everything. Electric toothbrush, coloring and activity book, old figures, new figures.

As opposed to being a specific character collector like your friend though, I'm a "type of item" collector, i.e comics and magazines, bubble gum trading cards, model kits, board games, lunch boxes, etc. One of the pluses to this type of collecting is that it's easier to store and display that type of collection.

cl:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

scarey1scd

Having the collector mentality, ive gone thru different things to collect. From comics, to die cast, to trading cards, and always the Halloween/horror stuff. One day I just decided it was time to focus on ONE thing. The obvious choice was Halloween/horror because its been a constant. So I did sell off pretty much everything else (except for comics, which are stashed away in hopes that someday there will be another big rush for them and I can make a couple bucks lol)

But...I do not sell any of my Halloween/horror stuff. Once it get set up or displayed, that's where it stays.
Do you know where you are, Bartolome? I'll tell you where you are. You are about to enter Hell, Bartolome, HELL!...

ZeMastor

Quote from: Anton Phibes on March 08, 2016, 09:42:43 PM

[...]

So-- do you ever get rid of anything. if so, have you regretted it? If not, why? Do you find yourself pining for things that you stumble across you have sold off in the past and thought: "You know what--I should get those back."

Does your collection evolve or does it just grow continuously?? Just curious if anyone else has the "Always buy--never sell" motto they engage in with regards to their collections.

[...]

:angel:

Yes, I got rid of *ALL* of my childhood toys, sometime after I graduated from high school and before I got my first job. It wasn't voluntary. My Mom told me that I had to pack them all up and send them to the Goodwill. I'm sure she meant well... she really wanted us to make that transition to adulthood.

I'm not sure if she told my (older) brother the same thing. Maybe she didn't, or maybe he didn't listen to her. Because 15 years later, my brother revealed to me that he still had his toys. And he also had some of my toys- the ones he kidnapped when I was 10 years old! So, to this day, the only toys I still have left from childhood were the ones my brother kidnapped. I eventually donated one of my old faves to the Goodwill because I found a new, old stock MIP one on ebay. But at least that was my own decision.

I remember looking at toys at Toys R Us in 1996, cruising Halloween stores, and reading some of the collector toys mags. I never thought I'd ever get replacements for my old oily rubber jigglers. My brother and I even talked about making plaster casts of his toys, and buying rubber goop from Toys R Us (Creepy Crawlers made a comeback in the late 90's) to make duplicates. But we never did.

I think ebay was a major game-changer. All of a sudden, one can do a quick search, or set up an automatic notification if something you want popped up. I was finally able to re-buy my old favorites, after selling some old video and PC games.

Eventually I settled on a scale- 1:15, the size of the old Spooky Kooky monster jigglers. So I buy figures that are compatibly-sized, even from modern manufacturers. As long as it's flexible/highly articulated, 3D and about 4.5"-5" tall, I'm game.

Moral of the story: Parents, don't force your kids to get rid of their toys. Let them make that decision for themselves. When it's time, they'll let go.
Check out my Miniatures, Crafts and Toy blog at:
http://www.zemastor.blogspot.com

My Flickr album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/17151893(*at*)N06/

Type3Toys

Great topic! I was a huge impulse buyer. I would be in Target, TRU or Walmart and always hit the action figure isle. Lot of my buys would be, "man, that looks cool!".   But today, my space to display is filled, my interest in Super-Hero's has wained, not to mention good figures in toy store are harder to find.
I have shifted to mainly monster or monster related items, all though Marvel stuff still hold interest, it is harder to find. Have no interest anymore in Marvel Legends, unless the do the monsters.
Have a huge space for DD figures, which I love!
I have totally switched to 8" or smaller and REALLY am looking forward to the new Mezco stuff!

Hepcat

Quote from: ZeMastor on March 11, 2016, 04:25:40 AMMy Mom told me that I had to pack them all up and send them to the Goodwill. I'm sure she meant well... she really wanted us to make that transition to adulthood.

Yeah, that's what they all say but I think they have a sinister hidden agenda..

>:(

LundyAfterMidnight

Quote from: Hepcat on March 11, 2016, 03:41:15 PM
Yeah, that's what they all say but I think they have a sinister hidden agenda..

>:(

I can't help to agree & I'm grateful my parents never did that. As a result, I've salvaged  few treasures for my modest collection.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

Wich2

Everyone's heard a few real horror stories. And my Ma did encourage us to garage sale stuff - that we weren't playing with any more.

But, all of these parents having a sinister agenda?

C'mon, guys.

-Craig

Mike...In 3-D!

When I first started collecting stuff it was comics. I kept everything and just added more. When I got sick of keeping them organized I sold some off. Then, I decided I didn't want a house full of comic boxes. So now I get rid of the single issues (either give them away or sell them) and get the graphic novels when they come out. Unless, of course, it's a series that I really, really like. I keep those single issues.

When I started collecting monster toys I would grab anything that looked cool. Now I only have 1 piece for each character I like and sold the rest. I have the silver screen 12" Sideshow monsters and a couple of full color characters that didn't get the SSE treatment and some statues.

Then, I got really into movie posters and have amassed more than I know what to do with. I really should get rid of some of those, because there are still some I want to get, but I just can't make that decision right now.

For the most part I'm very much in a "if something comes in, something goes out" mindset. I want to keep my collection lean and mean.
"Naughty, naughty! Don't touch, Butch knows best."

Allhallowsday

Quote from: raycastile on March 09, 2016, 02:38:01 AM
My collection has evolved, along with my taste. ...

I think the lesson I'm s-l-o-w-l-y learning is that it is destructive to be a completest in any collecting genre. This is why collections get out of hand, credit cards get maxed, and people burn out. But I have that OCD gene that makes me want to "collect 'em all."
...So who knows. This time next year, I might be buying old keyboards instead of toys. We will see!
Ah, you define the collecting bug well. 
I parted with just about all of my monsters (with 1 or 2 exceptions) but started with Halloween which I still buy.  I like vintage things particularly if I've not seen them before.  I buy new things too.  I have sold or given away most of such collections: Robots, Barbies, G.I. Joe, Star Trek, records, Battery/Windup/friction/Space Toys, stamped photographs...  did I mention magazines or catalogs?   ::)  I still collect soft toys, too.
Talking with a brother-in-law (who collects cars) we concur that collectors are preservationists. 
Though I've regretted parting with things, I truly only regret the things I didn't buy.  Sharing through sales or swap with other collectors invigorates collecting in myriad ways.   Preserving anything is about passing the baton. 
If you want to view Paradise, simply look around and view it.

Wich2

>we concur that collectors are preservationists ...  Preserving anything is about passing the baton<

That's the hope.

But we all know that in the mass-produced fields most of us collect, those non-collectors left behind when we exit often could care less. And even among other collectors that might be out there, there are limits on interest based on rarity, generation, etc.

For those reasons, I think Mike's "lean and mean" is wise indeed.

Hepcat

Quote from: Wich2 on March 11, 2016, 07:04:49 PMBut, all of these parents having a sinister agenda?

C'mon, guys.

An exceedingly sinister one! They not only want you to grow up but act that way too! And mothers in particular want you to get married and create grandchildren for them. Something to do with passing along their genes I think. And they're opposed to anything, self-actualization for example, that might stand in the way of their own nefarious agenda. You can't fool me. I know what lurks in the hearts of mothers.

cl:)

raycastile

Quote from: stretchbaldy on March 09, 2016, 04:08:02 AM
Well said Ray... And please by all means.. Let me know when and what you decide to sell if anything! By any chance will anything Ahi be in the mix? If you ever wanna sell direct please let me know, thanks.

I don't think I'll be selling any AHI toys. I sold a few a couple years ago to finance a very expensive monster item that I just had to have. I'd hate to whittle down my AHI collection any further.
Raymond Castile

Palifan

In a way I'd really like to trim my collection down as I really can't justify the space needed to put it all on display, especially with two young boys and their need for toy storage (the cheek of it!). For the items I want to keep hold of I've found that rotating items in my cabinet works well for me as I get a new display every now and then.

At the moment I'm just going through what I have doubles of and slowly getting rid of them. It's not going to make much of a dent but every little helps I guess. The big thing for me will be sorting through all my items back in the UK. I'm really not sure when I'll be going back but I know there are a lot of things that I have several of and it makes no sense to keep hold of them now. It's amazing how things pile up when you're upgrading and I can't wait to put everything together and see what it looks like (just hope that I can let it go once I do though).

Ian