Super 7 "Official Universal Monsters Thread"

Started by Remco Wolfman, February 16, 2018, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrDark1

I'm in for these too-because of the Repka Art!  The figures are kinda o-k, some are not the Likeness I prefer.
These are small also, so I tend to stay away from such-but the card art is Stunning, and makes for a must have collectible/display.
I too would love to see more poster prints released of this art!

fearliath

Quote from: MrDark1 on September 08, 2019, 03:22:51 PM
I'm in for these too-because of the Repka Art! ...

I was really hoping they'd sell more of the prints as well, particularly a Wolfman, Mask of the Red Death and Dracula (among others). From what I could tell the first prints didn't sell all that well though (i.e. quickly) which is too bad.

Mike Scott

Quote from: MrDark1 on September 08, 2019, 03:22:51 PM

You'll have to wait for the limited ed. ones at the next SDCC/BOODEGA mad dash followed by high priced eBay scalps.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mike Scott

Quote from: fearliath on September 08, 2019, 04:06:47 PM
From what I could tell the first prints didn't sell all that well though (i.e. quickly) which is too bad.

They're all sold out, except for the Mummy.
CREATURE FAN

fearliath

Quote from: Mike Scott on September 08, 2019, 04:32:07 PM
They're all sold out, except for the Mummy.

There were only 85 of each print and they took a while to sell (even Creature - the best selling - took over 6 months to sell out). For something that is not their core product they likely just didn't see the sense in printing up more.

In related news, Metaluna Mutant Reaction figure is back in stock after having sold out months ago.

Mike Scott

Quote from: fearliath on September 08, 2019, 05:11:08 PM
(even Creature - the best selling - took over 6 months to sell out).

Really! I wish the beach towels had lasted that long!  :(

I saw the MUTANT was back.
CREATURE FAN

favoritemonsters

Me thinks this company is paying cheaper for licensed art but not for the expensive likeness for the toy, hence not good likenesses on the toy.

Mike Scott

Quote from: favoritemonsters on September 08, 2019, 05:17:52 PM
Me thinks this company is paying cheaper for licensed art but not for the expensive likeness for the toy, hence not good likenesses on the toy.

Hmmm? Can they do that?
CREATURE FAN

aura of foreboding

Quote from: favoritemonsters on September 08, 2019, 05:17:52 PM

Not convinced of this, as the sculpts aren't the generic ones we've seen in the past.  If we get the rumored Lugosi "soapy," we'll know for sure one way or the other. 

Count Zachula

Quote from: aura of foreboding on September 08, 2019, 07:45:51 PM
Not convinced of this, as the sculpts aren't the generic ones we've seen in the past.  If we get the rumored Lugosi "soapy," we'll know for sure one way or the other.

How much likeness can you get in a figure this small? Also their whole aesthetic is similar to the Remco figures, they're supposed to look kind of cheap and vintage-y. 

Joseph_Baeza

Quote from: Count Zachula on September 09, 2019, 01:10:14 PM
How much likeness can you get in a figure this small? Also their whole aesthetic is similar to the Remco figures, they're supposed to look kind of cheap and vintage-y.
Exactly the way I see it, Count.  They have that retro-look which is what Super7 is going for.  I normally don't purchase 3-3/4" figures, but the card art by Ed Repka puts these over the top in their coolness factor!

Mord

I would love to buy these, solely for the card art. I really wish the carpet matched the drapes. I've seen smaller figures with exceptional sculpts (check out the 3" figures that come with the Dept. 56 light up facades....brilliant!).

Subatomic_Matt

I wish these would come out already. I've needed them since Series 1 was announced! It's been like having only half the Beatles or something. I need 'em all!

fearliath

Quote from: Mord on September 09, 2019, 05:27:26 PM
I would love to buy these, solely for the card art. I really wish the carpet matched the drapes. I've seen smaller figures with exceptional sculpts (check out the 3" figures that come with the Dept. 56 light up facades....brilliant!).

Love it or hate it the stated purpose of all Reaction figures since the beginning has been to recreate the 5 points of articulation style of action figures from the 70's & 80's. Yes, some figures from the 80's had more detailed sculpts but for the most part if you time traveled a Teen Wolf Reaction figure back to 1985 it would fit right in. I am biased because I loved 1980's action figures and I especially love 3.75" scale figures so I buy these like crazy. I would also buy them if they were ridiculously detailed but that isn't what they are going for with Reaction.

AndyFish

I feel the same way-- I like that they look like toys, not shrunk down sculptures.   It gives them personality.  If these had been done in the 70s I would have grabbed them all.