1979 Kenner Alien Original Price?

Started by Count Zachula, December 28, 2019, 11:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count Zachula

For Christmas the girlfriend got me one of my holy grails. The 79 Kenner Alien with box.  Its in nearly perfect condition, nothing missing, nothing broken.  We got into a conversation about this guy and wondered how much this thing cost when it came out.  Couldn't really find any info on it.




Mord

Incredible gift! Thank your girlfriend. It goes for as high as $1,500 in mint shape. I'm not sure what the list price was, but Toys'R'Us sold them for $14.99 back then. I'm sure they were 20 to 25 bucks in higher end stores. Parents complained about it being too scary for kids, so it disappeared from shelves after Christmas 1979. I hope that helps.

Mike Scott

#2
J. C. Penney 1979 Christmas Catalog .

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

I remember seeing piles of them in toy departments back in 1979-80. While I had really enjoyed the movie, the toy was of no interest to me even though I had already embarked on re-amassing the comics and cards I'd had as a kid.

:-\

Collecting! It's what I do!

Mord

 Count Z is enjoying an incredible Christmas gift from his girlfriend, and all you can add is your lack of enthusiasm for it. That's a sh*tty thing to do. Some comments need not be made.

geezer butler


Count Zachula

Quote from: Mike Scott on December 29, 2019, 03:02:31 AM
J. C. Penney 1979 Christmas Catalog .



Oh wow! Good find!  So 14 bucks back then was like...what 50 bucks nowadays? I see toys at Target this big go for that much.

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

#8
Quote from: Mord on December 29, 2019, 03:46:38 AMCount Z is enjoying an incredible Christmas gift from his girlfriend, and all you can add is your lack of enthusiasm for it. That's a sh*tty thing to do. Some comments need not be made.

Not what I meant. I was highlighting the phenomenon of how we so often don't appreciate something until it's no longer available. Back in 1979 the Kenner Alien struck me as a bit strange for a kids' toy. Now they're a highly prized collectible.

It's the old "You don't know what you've got till it's gone."

:-\
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mord

#9
Quote from: Hepcat on December 30, 2019, 03:29:21 PM
Not what I meant. I was highlighting the phenomenon of how we so often don't appreciate something until it's no longer available. Back in 1979 the Kenner Alien struck me as a bit strange for a kids' toy. Now they're a highly prized collectible.

It's the old "You don't know what you've got till it's gone."

:-\
Sorry, I misunderstood. It always seemed so unique (size & sculpt quality), that it stood out from the rest. I now know what you mean.

Hepcat

Quote from: Mord on December 30, 2019, 04:31:09 PMIt always seemed so unique (size & sculpt quality), that it stood out from the rest.

Yes, it was so unique when it came to size and quality that it stood out from other kids' toys.

Moreover the movie wasn't intended for kids and kids were actually restricted from attending the movie in some locales including Ontario. As a result I was actually surprised to even see such an impressive representation of the Alien as a kids' toy.

But then again Topps also put out a set of gum cards based on the movie so evidently it must at the time have been a hot property with kids anyway.

:-\
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mord

Quote from: Hepcat on December 30, 2019, 05:56:31 PM

But then again Topps also put out a set of gum cards based on the movie so evidently it must at the time have been a hot property with kids anyway.

:-\

I think that hopes were high, but most products failed (which explains the current demand). The Topps cards were very disappointing. There were only a few cards that actually featured the Alien.

Count Zachula

Did kids actually get to see the movie and like it?  Or did they just want it because it seemed like a cool adult thing? Kind of like a Robocop or Jason Voorhees situation.

Mord

Quote from: Count Zachula on December 30, 2019, 07:03:25 PM
Did kids actually get to see the movie and like it?  Or did they just want it because it seemed like a cool adult thing? Kind of like a Robocop or Jason Voorhees situation.
That's the thing, kids DIDN'T see the film. It was rated R and was not kid-friendly. Kenner got the license because it was a sci-fi movie and Star Wars was all the rage. They dropped the ball on Star Wars by not having any toys ready when the movie first came out. They didn't want to make the same mistake with Alien. Unfortunately, it wasn't a hit with kids (hence, the lack of products and demand from collectors & fans).

Joseph_Baeza

Count Z...that's an INCREDIBLE gift and it goes without saying that your girlfriend is a keeper!  For those interested and may not know, NECA just came out with an 18" Big Chap in retro-style packaging similar to the original Kenner version, and it is unbelievably cool!  You can find him on BBTS for $125 or so, and he is well worth every penny!  Get him before he disappears and shows up on eBay for 2-3 times the price.