Imagineering Inc. The Story and The Stuff

Started by The Phantom Creep, March 20, 2008, 07:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Phantom Creep

While I've always really liked the various stuff Imagineering Inc. put out I've never really collected any of it.

Dan was kind enough to send me a few things from them recently and I'm trying very hard not to start collecting it !!  ;)

Anyways, Terry asked about the story of Imagineering Inc. in another thread so i thought it should have it's own thread.

I'm sure many of you out there can share the story and photos of these great products so let's have it...
"Ladies and gentlemen, please do not panic. But  SCREAM!! Scream for your lives!!"

fmofmpls

Thanks Shawn for calling class to order. Scoot over some and pass me a pencil. I think Mr. Roebuck is coming down the hall. Sit up and look attentive. Psst. Check out that chick in the front row. She's hot. I'm going to ask her for her number after class.
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

Mike Scott

Collegeville Imagineering, Inc.

Collegeville makes the Halloween costumes and Imagineering makes the make-up kits. Here's a bunch of pics of their products.

http://theimaginaryworld.com/iman.html
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

fmofmpls

Hey Shawn. This isn't Mr. Roebuck. Who's this guy? What? A substitute teacher? Mr. Scott? What a dweab. Let's see what he knows.

Oh, Mr. Scott, Mr. Scott! Shawn and I would like to know if the Imagineering Company produced those make-up kits found in the back pages of Famous Monsters magazine in the 70s? I don't see them listed in your worksheet you handed out.
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

Mike Scott

Quote from: fmofmpls on March 20, 2008, 08:45:46 PM
Shawn and I would like to know if the Imagineering Company produced those make-up kits found in the back pages of Famous Monsters magazine in the 70s?

No idea? I don't even remember what they looked like?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

gracebuster

Gentlemen,
Thank you for coming. Please put your pencils down and listen...

Mr. Castile is that  an IMAGINEERING MUMMY Kit you are trying to hide?

Please bring it up to my desk. Right now! Stop pretending you didn't snipe it. I'll have ot confiscate it. Sorry.

Okay, where were we. ah yes.. Imagineering...

Okay here is the thing, I am working on the history of the place and I ask for a little more time to get all of my ducks in a row.

I promise that when it's done it will be very enlightening.

In the meantime, class, let's open our books to The Captain Company ads...who'd like to begin?

knewby

I love, love, love the Imagineering kits from the 60's on up. I shall have to take some pics of my brother's collection which dwarfs the Imaginary's Worlds collections. He has displays, catalogs, etc, etc....and most every variant package you can imagine...........................Larry

knewby

Forgot to mention that Imagineering has been around since at least the 60's. I have some of their famous fangs which are in a baggie. I also used to have a "Moon Ball" which looked to have come out during the time of the space race and moon landing........................Larry

OldTimey

I bought so much Imagineering product in the early to mid 70's that they should have made me a major stock holder in the company.  :D
Darryl

neonnoodle

I love all that stuff...these cheap, simple products made my neighborhood a fun, gory, creepy place around Halloween-time in the 70's...lots of kids had tubes of vampire blood, scar stuff, and the various other products.  The pure essence of fun for monsters!
Beautiful moving, shifting colors!

See TRANSLUCE: Rainbow Meditation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz5aqIhYI_Q

raycastile

I'm big on Imagineering.  My collection is comparable to what you see on the Imaginary World page, give or take a few pieces.

Uh oh, Mr. Roebuck's coming up the aisle with a ruler in his hand.  He looks displeased.  He must have spotted this Mummy kit I have stashed in my book bag.  The bell better ring, quick!
Raymond Castile

Gasport

Ah, how well i recall the synthetically sweet taste of their "Vampire Blood". [Cake icing, wasn't it?] I remember squeezing a good portion of the tube out and eating it! My digestive system was WAY more resilient back in 1971 as compared to now. It probably WASN'T cake icing...  I'm surprised i'm still alive.

raycastile

Dan will not like hearing this, but man, you can really smell the goop in that Mummy kit, even though the package is sealed!  It's just like being 10 years old again at Halloween.  I can't describe that smell.  Strangely pharmaceutical.
Raymond Castile

mike c

Quote from: Gasport on March 24, 2008, 02:57:45 AM
Ah, how well i recall the synthetically sweet taste of their "Vampire Blood". [Cake icing, wasn't it?] I remember squeezing a good portion of the tube out and eating it! My digestive system was WAY more resilient back in 1971 as compared to now. It probably WASN'T cake icing...  I'm surprised i'm still alive.

Dear me, the fun I had with Scar Stuf and Vampire Blood... I must have gone through hundreds of tubes and little plastic containers of that great combo of blood and guts... and while I never bothered to even consider tasting the wax-infused fiber of Scar Stuf, I certainly ingested my share of Vampire Blood in my day. I can taste it even now, seriously!

Mike C.

neonnoodle

Damn, I'll tell ya...it's weird how just thinking about this stuff brings the memories back.  I remember CHEWING on some Scar Stuf at one point...I knew it was basically a harmless wax so I kinda nibbled on a piece...never had the guts to taste the Vampire Blood, although years later I discovered Ben Nye's version of stage blood, which they boasted was safe and had MINT FLAVORING in it just in case you happened to taste some.  But yeah, Scar Stuf and Vampire Blood, they were dimestore blood and guts.

The freakiest thing once I started buying more "professional" materials was MAX FACTOR TECHNICOLOR BLOOD, this was glycerin-based and had rose perfume oil in it, it was the weirdest stuff, crayon-red and designed to record much darker on Technicolor film stock.  Almost impossible to find nowadays except maybe in a museum!  Sometimes you would find a dusty old glass bottle of this, or a bottle of MAX FACTOR PANCHROMATIC BLOOD (a dark purple color), on shelves in your school's theatrical department.  You would open it up and be hit by the stench of ROSES, of all things.  I think they put this perfume in the blood to ensure that people did not drink it!
Beautiful moving, shifting colors!

See TRANSLUCE: Rainbow Meditation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz5aqIhYI_Q