Missing TOMLAND PHANTOM of the Opera Discovered!!!!!!

Started by mjaycox, March 24, 2008, 08:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjaycox

More characters in the Tomland Monster line continue to be discovered!

See this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350037328124

It shows the previously-known Wolfman, which has an 8" counterpart. And now, thrill of thrills, a Phantom of the Opera... suggesting there may indeed be an 8" Tomland Phantom out there as well ( as all of the Tomland mini monsters have thus far revealed 8" counterparts).

May the hunt (and wallet draining) continue!

Beast witches,

Matt Jaycox
UMA medic
"I don't want to live in the past. I just don't want to lose it."
     -The Two Jakes

Roback

Thanks for posting this Matt. It's amazing that new stuff is still being found but an 8 inch Phantom, wow.
Robert Acquarulo

Dr.Terror

Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

raycastile

Yeah, and I'm the high bidder!  I hope I don't take a bath on it.
Raymond Castile

poseablemonster

Well, if you are hitting this one I will stay out...just hit it hard!   ;D  It is a bad time for me monetarily anyway.  Yet another bit of evidence that this Tomland monster stuff is from the UK.  I don't think they made an 8" Phantom, though.

raycastile

Quote from: poseablemonster on March 25, 2008, 03:36:07 AM
Well, if you are hitting this one I will stay out...just hit it hard!   ;D  It is a bad time for me monetarily anyway.  Yet another bit of evidence that this Tomland monster stuff is from the UK.  I don't think they made an 8" Phantom, though.

I doubt there is an 8-inch Phantom, but who knows when it comes to Tomland.  There might be a non-glow set of 8-inch monsters that hasn't surfaced yet.
Raymond Castile

mjaycox

Quote from: poseablemonster on March 25, 2008, 03:36:07 AM

Why? So far all the other mini-monsters have revealed 8" counterparts. Supposedly including Dracula (although personally I have never seen a pic of it, though I have seen the mini-drac). Lincoln Made a Phantom. And Tomland was clearly influenced by Lincoln in their sculpts.

I think it is very possible, in fact even probable that they made a Phantom.

Matt
"I don't want to live in the past. I just don't want to lose it."
     -The Two Jakes

raycastile

We know from a super-secret, unpublishable source that the FMOL glow series included eight monsters, and the Phantom was not one of them.  But I think it's possible there was a non-glow set of second series FMOL.  Just because one hasn't surfaced on the collector market doesn't mean it's not out there.

As for these little "super deformed" guys, I placed my bid as soon as I discovered the listing.  Now I will watch what happens.  I'll either win it or I won't.
Raymond Castile

raycastile

It's interesting how elusive UK monster toys are in general.  I've been wanting a set of the early 90s Toy Island electronic monsters since they came out.  There was a vampire, zombie and werewolf, only released in the UK.  I didn't have any UK contacts back in those pre-Internet days.  I have never seen one for sale on ebay, even the UK ebay.  Never saw one in Toy Shop.  I've asked several UK dealers and none have ever had any.  I have never seen one of these for sale anywhere.  How can that be?
Raymond Castile

Roback

Are you certain that they made it to retail? If they did then it's very strange that you never saw one available on the secondary market. Even the rarest of the rare surface on eBay eventually.
Robert Acquarulo

poseablemonster

Quote from: Roback on March 25, 2008, 12:54:47 PM
Are you certain that they made it to retail? If they did then it's very strange that you never saw one available on the secondary market. Even the rarest of the rare surface on eBay eventually.
It seem to me that someone had verified the fact that they were produced at the retail level.  Laurie Halbritter is the person to ask about them.

The fact that the Phantom is not pictured on the Tomland "second series" cardback leads me to seriously doubt the existence of an 8" figure.  The superdeformed little guys also had a skeleton in the assortment, but I doubt they made an 8" version of that one, either.

raycastile

I've heard from people who remember the Toy Island figures in UK stores.  They got a little bit of press in the toy magazines at the time.  They were definitely out there.  They just didn't seem to make it into the collector market.
Raymond Castile

poseablemonster

Oh, I was still referring to the Tomland superdeformed figures, not the Toy Island monsters.  I've never heard of them.

Dr.Terror

Does anyone have a pic of the Toy Island monsters?   I'm curious what they look like.

My Mom is visiting the UK in a few weeks, I always have her poke around shops while she's there. If I have a pic of the TI guys to show her, I'll have her poke around for them as well.
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

raycastile

I wish I had a pic, but I don't even have that.  I know they were pictured in one of the magazines when they first came out.  Probably Tomart's.  If anyone has Tomart's mag from the early or mid 90s, take a look.  It was probably around 1993-95.  I remember seeing color photos.  I'm surprised Tomart didn't put them in their big monster book a couple years ago.

The werewolf has a canine head.  The vampire is bald.  Zombie has an eye dangling on a stalk.  They have fabric costumes.  They make noises.  Werewolf howls, vampire laughs and zombie says "Heeelp meee."
Raymond Castile