Diamond Select Universal Monsters Wave 3 Pictures!

Started by Universal_Adam, December 03, 2011, 09:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard_Of_Ed

I didn't think the Jekyll looked like Karloff in the figure images. That's why I was confused.

If a film was made before 1928 it can go in the PD. I'm not sure when LAM was made.

If Diamond Select has  the rights to Chaney's likeness, as they seem to have given the figure images, and if the make up is not owned by WB they could in theory still include him.

Mike Scott

When it comes to toys, it doesn't matter if the movie is in the public domain. It's who owns the actor or character likeness.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Count_Zirock

The fact remains, the LAM Vampire isn't a Uni monster or character, and that's who DST has a license with, Universal Monsters.
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Wizard_Of_Ed

In some cases a PD film does lose the likeness rights.

Count - This is what caused this train of thought to start with. Sideshow included him as a Universal Monster in their line.

I think it would be great if the follow up the Universal Monsters with a wave of silent Monsters like Count Orlock and LAM and others.

Count_Zirock

Quote from: Wizard_Of_Ed on June 18, 2012, 02:56:15 AMCount - This is what caused this train of thought to start with. Sideshow included him as a Universal Monster in their line.
Sideshow made LAM Vampire and Graf Orlock figures, but they weren't part of their Universal Monsters line.

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Wizard_Of_Ed on June 18, 2012, 02:56:15 AM
I think it would be great if the follow up the Universal Monsters with a wave of silent Monsters like Count Orlock and LAM and others.

I'd much rather have lesser characters from the classic Universal films next:  Renfield, Henry Frankenstein, etc.  Give our monsters PEOPLE to play with.  Ha!   ;)  The Julie Adams figure with Creech was a great start.  I'd like to see it continue.   Oh yes... and Dracula's Daughter  (Countess Zaleska) needs to be part of the Monster series. 

Count_Zirock

Quote from: aura of foreboding on June 18, 2012, 07:45:16 PM
I'd much rather have lesser characters from the classic Universal films next:  Renfield, Henry Frankenstein, etc.  Give our monsters PEOPLE to play with.  Ha!   ;)  The Julie Adams figure with Creech was a great start.  I'd like to see it continue.   Oh yes... and Dracula's Daughter  (Countess Zaleska) needs to be part of the Monster series.
True dat! Also, I want to see a deluxe Carradine Dracula with top hat, cloth cape, and coffin!

Wizard_Of_Ed

Count Orlock was in the Universal short BOO! so if Jekyll/Hyde in Abbott & Costello makes him a Universal Monster why wouldn't this count?

The only thing about Julie Adams is I wish she had been an atriculated figure. I'd like to be able to pose a scene rather than be locked into one display option.

I'd like Renfield, the Countess, and Dr. Petorious. I wouldn't mind a Carradine Dracula like that too. The only thing is that when we only get 3 slots a year I'd like to get different monsters than variants.

I'd like to see human/Monster 2 packs. Maybe in a few years they could reissue Monsters like that much like the Eddie/Marilyn Munster 2 pack. I'd pay 30.00 for 2 figures.

Anyone know how many years Diamond Select has the rights to the Monsters?

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Wizard_Of_Ed on June 18, 2012, 09:02:35 PM
... The only thing about Julie Adams is I wish she had been an atriculated figure. I'd like to be able to pose a scene rather than be locked into one display option. ...

Oh, r-e-a-l-l-y?
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: aura of foreboding on June 18, 2012, 07:45:16 PM

Renfield, Fritz, Henry Frankenstein, Ygor, Dr. Pretorious and Maleva & Bela the Gypsies should all be included.

I have always felt females were woefully under-repesented in the Universal classic monster movies.  The Monster's Bride was probably on screen less than 10 minutes in one movie and never resurrected.  Dracula's daughter appeared in just one film and , even though she was the star, I've never seen a model or action figure based on her character.

Rhondo Hatton is a natural - but Universal can't claim to own rights to the "makeup".

ADAM

Count_Zirock

Quote from: Wizard_Of_Ed on June 18, 2012, 09:02:35 PMCount Orlock was in the Universal short BOO! so if Jekyll/Hyde in Abbott & Costello makes him a Universal Monster why wouldn't this count?
They used clips from an uncopyrighted-in-the-U.S. film in a short. They didn't release the film "Nosferatu," or use the character of Graf Orlock in another film, played by another actor. Robert Louis Stevenson's "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" was already in the public domain when Paramount made their 1931 film. Universal could have done their own version, but the Paramount film was a hit. They got beat to the punch, is all. They might have done it in the '40s if MGM didn't beat them to it in '41 with Spencer Tracy. Since "A&C Meet Frankenstein" did well, Uni saw their chance to finally do "Jekyll & Hyde." And, that's the only version Uni has a claim to.

King Kang Kong

Quote from: Wizard_Of_Ed on June 17, 2012, 07:11:09 AM
What Jekyll/Hyde  are they including in series 4? It looks like neither version I've seen. Is this another invented design ala Dracula?

Both figures are based on Karloff, from the Abbott & Costello film.

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Count_Zirock on June 18, 2012, 08:32:06 PM
True dat! Also, I want to see a deluxe Carradine Dracula with top hat, cloth cape, and coffin!

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on June 18, 2012, 09:38:45 PM
Renfield, Fritz, Henry Frankenstein, Ygor, Dr. Pretorious and Maleva & Bela the Gypsies should all be included.

Yes to all of these.  I would buy them in seconds flat.  As for this next series, I am definitely buying the Phantom and Jekyll and Hyde, but I have to think about Metaluna.  When I see it, I will decide whether to invest.  (Never been a favorite.)  But the above named characters would be welcomed into my collection without question.  And I am still hoping that we may get a Lugosi Dracula figure somewhere down the line.  Maybe an Abbot and Costello version?

Count_Zirock

Quote from: aura of foreboding on June 19, 2012, 01:14:05 AM
I am still hoping that we may get a Lugosi Dracula figure somewhere down the line.  Maybe an Abbott and Costello version?
That would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath. But, if they COULD pull that off, I'd want to see a whole "A&CMF" wave of Dracula, Lon Chaney's Wolf Man, Glenn Strange's Monster, and Chick Young & Wilbur Grey!
Oh-h-h-h ... nerdgasm! Now I need a cigarette (KIDS, DON'T SMOKE) and a Red Bull.

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Count_Zirock on June 19, 2012, 01:33:18 AM
That would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath. But, if they COULD pull that off, I'd want to see a whole "A&CMF" wave of Dracula, Lon Chaney's Wolf Man, Glenn Strange's Monster, and Chick Young & Wilbur Grey!

I have been waiting for this for years.  Since Universal apparently doesn't grant licenses for A&C  (even when asked), I doubt this will happen.  But give us the monsters at least!