Soaky Bubble Bath bottles: Questions on them that I need answers opinions on

Started by Anton Phibes, June 12, 2011, 01:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yendor1152

Wow, we were big Soaky collectors/users back in the day (mid 60s). I still have two of the monsters in pretty decent shape: Creature and the Wolfman. Never had the mummy, but I remember Franky quite well.

For some reason, I connect these to something unusual: a soap that, when left out in the air, grew "hair!" Can't for the life of me recall its name, but I think there was a plastic toy inside the bar!

Rod

Most Horrible

Oh I could cry. I had a bunch of soapy toys (as I called them) when I was a kid and down the road they were given away. I mainly had Hanna Barbera ones. There is a collector's price book for soapies and stupid me looked to see how much my Squiddly Diddly was going for....$75. :o :o Ah well.
"Do you like gin? It is my only weakness..."- Dr. Pretorius

Monolith

I had three of the monsters for years and recently got the Mummy, so now I finally have all four.
I have a few Hanna  Barbera soaky's too. Here's a pic I took of my Squiddly Diddly...

And here's my Touche Turtle.

Illoman

Monolith!! Back in the day, Touche Turtle was my favorite!! The only thing I still have left from my childhood with him is this 78 rpm yellow record:

yendor1152

Are those official Soakies? I don't recall seeing the character names written on the bottle.

Rod

yendor1152

Thanks for the info. I've noticed on several websites that people have a tendency to call any figural bubble bath container a "Soaky." Legit Soakies were only produced by Colgate-Palmolive.

Rod

Monolith

Quote from: yendor1152 on June 15, 2011, 08:03:40 PM
Thanks for the info. I've noticed on several websites that people have a tendency to call any figural bubble bath container a "Soaky." Legit Soakies were only produced by Colgate-Palmolive.

Rod

I tend to call any figural bubble bath container a "Soaky", but I'm not really a hardcore bubble bath container collector, I just pick up characters that I like when I see them. But you are correct, thanks for the info.

Illoman--- That's a great Touche Turtle Little Golden record! I also have a Touche Turtle push-puppet made by the Kohner Bros.

Illoman

Quote from: Monolith on June 16, 2011, 02:31:22 AM

Illoman--- That's a great Touche Turtle Little Golden record! I also have a Touche Turtle push-puppet made by the Kohner Bros.

Monolith, could you post a pic? I'd love to see it!!

Monolith

Sure! Here he is in the middle. I've got a bunch of other Hanna Barbera push puppets, too.

And here, in the middle top row is another Touche Turtle LP you might like. I liked him as a kid ,too.

Illoman

Those are freaking awesome!!! When I was a kid I loved *anything* that had to do with Hanna Barbera. You can imagine what Kings Island meant to me when it first opened!!

Gasport

That Franky is SWEET! Cleanest example i've ever seen... CONGRATS!!

Anton Phibes

Thanks for all the input guys. I had a buddy of mine take a look at it. He's a collector/dealer. He says the paint on the nose has only barely been roughed up, as have the hands, but he declares its all original. As you'll recall, I was floored by how cheap it was and the great shape it was in. I thought it might have been restored in some way. But he says no.  I paint models, and know how impossible it is to 100% match any color, so I thought maybe the whole thing had been restored by repainting it. Glad to know I am wrong, and I am even happier with the buy now. The guy I bought it from says he thinks he has a Wolfman wrapped up in similar condition he will bring me for the same price! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.... ;) :angel: