Silent Screams

Started by Sir Masksalot, November 13, 2022, 10:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Masksalot

I just finished re-reading it last week, published by LuminaryPress/MidnightMarquee
in 2003. It was intended as the first in a series chronicling horror movies of the 20th
century but I've never seen a follow-up volume. That's a shame because it's a great
read for film buffs, exhaustively researched, perhaps a bit too scholarly for some.
My only beef with it is that barely one paragraph was devoted to Georges Melies who
merely originated the cinema fantastique although, admittedly, none of his filmic
frolics were frightening in the least.

I scored my inscribed edition during the first stop of a joint book tour. Both authors
were there with prop displays from their own formidable collections. How could one
not be drawn in by Nosferatu's baleful gaze?

Have you read it or have an opinion about silent era horror in general? Post in reply, thanks.

marsattacks666

I haven't. However.....I was admiring your photo with Bob Burns. Great person and so very nice.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

BigShadow

He also did a book a few years earlier Silent Screams: The History of the Silent Horror Film, which I highly recommend.  Here's the  Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Screams-History-Horror-Film/dp/1936168154/ref=sr_1_1?crid=JOTBOV3596U9&keywords=steve+haberman&qid=1675103017&sprefix=steve+haberman%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-1.

I haven't seen any other horror books by him.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast

Mike Scott

Quote from: BigShadow on January 30, 2023, 01:29:31 PM
He also did a book a few years earlier Silent Screams: The History of the Silent Horror Film, which I highly recommend. 

Are you sure this isn't the same book? Sometimes, Mid/Mar will reissue a book with a slightly different title, like their reissue of "The Making of King Kong".
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

BigShadow

Quote from: Mike Scott on January 30, 2023, 02:28:14 PM
Are you sure this isn't the same book? Sometimes, Mid/Mar will reissue a book with a slightly different title, like their reissue of "The Making of King Kong".

You're right, it is the same book.  Compared them on Amazon with the "Look Inside" feature.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast