Super 7 "Official Universal Monsters Thread"

Started by Remco Wolfman, February 16, 2018, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonsterBaker666

I'm wondering if the higher shipping rate is because some stuff is on preorder.  Some of the stuff says "Pre-Sale" and some don't.  Perhaps they're going to send the stuff they have in stock out now and then send the rest later.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: MonsterBaker666 on October 11, 2022, 03:22:34 PM
I'm wondering if the higher shipping rate is because some stuff is on preorder.  Some of the stuff says "Pre-Sale" and some don't.  Perhaps they're going to send the stuff they have in stock out now and then send the rest later.

The Post Office is having higher rates between now and Christmas - could that have something to do with it?
ADAM

Dr.Terror

Shipping from coast to coast in a medium sized box  bumps the price it serms.
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

MonsterBaker666

I'll have to see the size of the box for my model and godzilla figure.  Can't be that much bigger than the last few packages they've sent me to justify over twice their last shipping charges

Dr.Terror

My set of thise boxed glow figures were cheaper to ship that my single burning Frank.  🤷‍♂️
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

Anton Phibes

I guess ole Henry Hull Werewolf of London ain't gonna make it this Halloween either. Anyone heard any further word on this one?

MonsterBaker666

I'd LOVE a Werewolf Of London figure, but I'm not holding my breath for it to come out.  If it does - great, I'd immediately order it.  If it doesn't - oh, well, that's the way it goes. 

Here's something that might come up - as we all know, now days everyone and their brother comes out and wants a piece of the pie (any pie - whatever it is) so often we're REALLY lucky to get any figures with an actor's likeness.  Chaney, Karloff, Lugosi, and now with a Hull likeness.  I see Atlantis models is re-releasing the old Aurora Glow In The Dark models and is coming out with Them Mummy and The Wolf Man - both with the "Licensed by Chaney Estate" notice on the box. 

Well I heard that actor Glenn Strange's grandson is now "legally straight with rights to Strange's Frankenstein likeness" so if anyone wants to do anything with Strange's likeness will likely have to pay to use it.  Trick Or Treat Studios currently has a Strange Frankenstein mask out - something tells me that might either disappear from their catalog or the price might go up if they have to pay a licensing fee.

Shades of King Ralph.

MonsterBaker666

For those who ordered the Entertainment Earth Exclusive "Thin" Glow In The Dark Creature boxed figure from Super 7, EE just charged my credit card for it, so it is likely shipping soon. 

Count Zachula

Quote from: MonsterBaker666 on October 12, 2022, 12:28:26 PM

Well I heard that actor Glenn Strange's grandson is now "legally straight with rights to Strange's Frankenstein likeness" so if anyone wants to do anything with Strange's likeness will likely have to pay to use it.  Trick Or Treat Studios currently has a Strange Frankenstein mask out - something tells me that might either disappear from their catalog or the price might go up if they have to pay a licensing fee.

Thats interesting! I'm actually really hoping for NECA to do a Strange Frankenstein, so hopefully they can work something out!

aura of foreboding

Universal hasn't used the Strange likeness in 20 years.  Maybe the grandson will actually try and get people interested in using it again.

MonsterBaker666

It could be a double edged sword.  Universal probably doesn't care what actor is depicted, as long as their licensing fee is paid for the character.   But what if the actor's heirs ask for some outlandish amount of money?  Then its back to a generic monster figure. 

I remember years ago back in the 1990s that Universal made agreements with the Lugosi, Karloff and Chaney families on licensing, but at some point a few years later Sara Karloff had said that Universal would no longer work on licensing with her.  She gave the "I have no idea why" they decided not to work with her anymore.  It sounded like Universal would license the character but if you wanted a Karloff likeness you had to make arrangements with her separately.   

aura of foreboding

Yeah, the issue with other Frankenstein actors is that Karloff automatically comes with the licensing deal through Universal now.  Toy companies don't have to reach out to deal with Karloff separately.  So if they automatically get Karloff, why would they bother trying to license through someone else? 

Mike Scott

Quote from: aura of foreboding on October 12, 2022, 04:15:41 PM
So if they automatically get Karloff, why would they bother trying to license through someone else?

I don't see the Strange grandson making much money.

BTW, how many generations get to make money off their dead ancestors? Great grandkids? Great, great grandkids?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

MonsterBaker666

Well that's it.  I think movies have a copyright of 95 years and then they belong to the public.  But an actors likeness...who knows.

When Sara Karloff started making the convention circuit it sounded like she hadn't seen many, if any of her fathers films.  But now she gets money off of them.  Karloff was alive when Don Post Studios made their Karliff Frankenstein mask.  I never heard that he got anything from the sale of the masks.  Glenn Strange was also alive when Post made Frankie masks based on his monster image.  Again, I dont think Post paid him anything. 

So one wonders if the Strange family will make anything off of merchandising.  Might make a couple bucks at conventions..."Yeah, I remember my grandfather...I was 4 at the time he died but I remember seeing his movies on TV..."

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Mike Scott on October 12, 2022, 04:22:17 PM
BTW, how many generations get to make money off their dead ancestors? Great grandkids? Great, great grandkids?

It's 70 years.

QuoteUnder California's statute, for example, post-mortem publicity rights survive for 70 years after the death of the deceased personality