Super 7 "Official Universal Monsters Thread"

Started by Remco Wolfman, February 16, 2018, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count Zachula

Quote from: Subatomic_Matt on November 27, 2021, 02:05:13 AM
... I wonder why Frankenstein has red sleeves and blue pants. The card back has him with light tan sleeves and a dark greenish gray pants (which is what the prototype showed back when).

I'm... not sure how I feel about that bright red.

In this photo posted by the Super7 store front, his sleeves look less red. The promo photos look super saturated.  Also, I know Ygor is usually depicted with brown hair, but did anyone else always imagine him with gray hair? He is half dead after all...

Monsters For Sale

Frank's red sleeves and blue pants make me think of how many Jack Davis models are painted.  Also the big Mexican plaster statues (they even have creamy-colored natural wool vests, making them red, white and blue.)

Not all of them, but I've seen a few.
ADAM

Anton Phibes

This wave suffered from The Curse of Covid (rated R , check local listings for airtime) with CWAU us being the sole survivor at first. Then rumors of Quasi getting tied to the wheel of woe again, then Ole Henry pulling a Claude Rains....but overall, I gotta say....they look like they will be nice. Especially The Hunchback. He seems to have came out better than I expected him to.

If this is the end, its still a good run. 17 figures (apologies to the erasers of history, but Metaluna Mutant is being counted). 18 if we wish to include the public domain Count Orlock. That's pretty good for a bunch of dudes coming up on 80-100 years old,lol.

However, if there is a wave 4.....and it were final, I would really like it to be:
1. Werewolf of London
2. Dracula's Daughter
3. Kharis (Chaney)
4. The Monster (burned from BOF)
5. Lawrence Talbot
6. Maleva

zombiehorror

Quote from: Count Zachula on November 27, 2021, 05:18:17 PM
Also, I know Ygor is usually depicted with brown hair, but did anyone else always imagine him with gray hair? He is half dead after all...

Lobby cards depict him with gray hair

Monsters For Sale

ADAM

Count Zachula

I seem to remember somewhere hearing the wig Jack Pierce put on Bela was gray.  But who knows....

Anton Phibes

The figures appear to be improved upon from their Toy Fair debut. Not sure about Frank.  Yet Hunchback is most improved. Ygor looks better because they removed the hole in his mouth, that I assume was there to accommodate a flute that they thought better of including due to how silly the figure would look without it being in his face.

Anton Phibes

Let's have a moment of silence, and lay a mariphasa lupino lumina on Wilfrid's grave. Thanks for the bullet, licensing issues. Perhaps he will rise from the dead yet. Most monsters do. :angel:

aura of foreboding

We know that Henry Frankenstein, Waldman, Elizabeth, Van Helsing, Dr. Reed, Kay, Pretorious, Kharis, Maleva, Fritz, Renfield, Mina, Dracula's Brides and others can all be licensed through Universal, so I say, "Why stop there?"  Hawthorne and DST's Minimates have all released these characters.  I say Super7 should too.  Who knows if they negotiated these other characters in their initial deal or if they have to go back to the table, but these characters are all doable, have been done before (with Universal's approval), and can be easily pulled off in this line.  If likeness rights to actors are an issue, release in a multipack with no card art.  Problem solved.     

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Anton Phibes on November 27, 2021, 11:08:14 PM
Let's have a moment of silence, and lay a mariphasa lupino lumina on Wilfrid's grave. Thanks for the bullet, licensing issues. Perhaps he will rise from the dead yet. Most monsters do. :angel:

I don't think that looks enough like him to mourn over.
ADAM

Anton Phibes

10 year old me would've loved this in 1980 to join my Remcos. It looks good for what it is, but as I have said many times; the main lure of these is the amazing card art.

Oh Chick

Mr. Hull did respond to me. He said in response to the delay/cancellation: "They did not inform me of this - when I can, will look into it, at present, very busy with our "Monsters Holiday" event.

MonsterBaker666

Crazy that in this day and age where EVERYONE wants a piece of the pie that Super 7 didn't know that Courtland Hull would say he has the rights to his Uncle's image and they'd have to make a deal with him.

As to a Wave 4 - I'd like it to be:

Werewolf Of London (if the rights issues get worked out)
Frankenstein (burned har, face, suit from Bride Of Frankensten)
Dracula's Daughter
Fritz
Son Of Dracula (Chaney)
Kharis (Chaney)

Maybe even Paula the Captive Wild Woman or even Rhondo Hatton as The Creeper from House Of Horrors (one can dream)

Monsters For Sale

What's the list of what they have produced so far?
ADAM

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: MonsterBaker666 on November 28, 2021, 06:17:51 AM
Crazy that in this day and age where EVERYONE wants a piece of the pie that Super 7 didn't know that Courtland Hull would say he has the rights to his Uncle's image and they'd have to make a deal with him.

I read this:

Quote from: Oh Chick on November 28, 2021, 01:47:29 AM
Mr. Hull did respond to me. He said in response to the delay/cancellation: "They did not inform me of this - when I can, will look into it, at present, very busy with our "Monsters Holiday" event.

to mean he wasn't aware of the delay.
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!