1979 Mattel Rodan Toy

Started by Gasport, July 27, 2009, 11:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raycastile

The Drac, Frank and Wolfy are made by a French company named Cesar.  I bought some of those when that guy had his sale, too.  The ones in the rear I think are Travelers?  Not sure.  A couple look like West German knockoffs of Topstone masks.  There are few things in life as disappointing as purchasing what an ebay seller claims is a Topstone mask, only to find when it arrives that it is in fact a West German or Sri Lanka knockoff.
Raymond Castile

curseofthewerewolf

My local frenemy (he USED to be my friend) left one of the Rodan toys behind with the box at a local thrift store. He wasn't sure if it was "any good." When he looked up something about it (this was probably before either of us had PC's) he went back the same day, but it was gone. So it was probably more than 10 years ago. Would have been a great bargain.

Gasport

Long as  i started this thread back in July, i thought i'd update it w/the latest Rodan to hit the auction block...not a bad price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200409994415&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

NekroDave

Actually, another one sold BIN for $195 today. It was in good shape and in the box. No elastics though. I tried to talk a buddy into buying it, but he had to pass. Not sure who got it, but it was a much better value, imo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rodan-shogun-in-box-vg-cond-1979-Godzilla-enemy_W0QQitemZ250541348458QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a556d966a

BlackLagoon

Quote from: NekroDave on December 02, 2009, 07:58:52 PM
Actually, another one sold BIN for $195 today. It was in good shape and in the box. No elastics though. I tried to talk a buddy into buying it, but he had to pass. Not sure who got it, but it was a much better value, imo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rodan-shogun-in-box-vg-cond-1979-Godzilla-enemy_W0QQitemZ250541348458QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a556d966a

That Rodan was awesome! I never even knew Mattel had the rights to Godzilla...how long did that go on for?
"I send my murdergram to all the monster kids, it comes right back to me, signed in their parents blood"

raycastile

The Mattel Rodan has got to be the most undervalued, under-appreciated classic monster toy of the 70s.
Raymond Castile

The Creeper

I had one and loved it!  I also had a big Godzilla and Shogun Warrior.  I still have the Godzilla though.
Long live the UMA!

Remco Monster

A seriously amazing toy...but Jeepers doesn't think so....

Side note: Something that only people like yourselves may appreciate. I named Jeepers after the horror host Jeepers Creepers. :)
Instagram (remcomonster)

Jscareshock

Cool toy.  DOn't know that I'd ever seen one before.

darkmonkeygod

I still have mine from a K-B warehouse close out sale in '81 I think? It, Godzilla, the Kraken and the Remco UM action figures used to terrorize every other action figure line, from Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica (the four armed Ovion was on the Monster's side, he is copyright Universal after all!) to the Lone Ranger and Indiana Jones. The Millennium Falcon was forced into a cliff side more than once my the awesome might of Rodan. Good times.
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

jim m

really love the rodan but i would say this is way more overlooked and under valued.

darkmonkeygod

The Kraken is a cool toy, but Rodan is huge, and is such an odd thing: A licensed America only addition to a line which started in Japan or a character created in Japan. No cultural tie in. Rodan wasn't in the Godzilla cartoons, the film wasn't re released, the was no new one. Just odd. Would love to know the history behind it. Imagine if Mattel the had done more Toho monsters...
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

The Creeper

I had the Kraken and Persus, Thello, Calibos,Charon, and the Pegasus!  That was all the Clash of the Titans Figures I think they made.  Never knew why they didn't do Medusa?  She would have been a cool figure!
Long live the UMA!

BlackLagoon

That Kraken is the all time greatest!!!...I love the Kraken and have never seen it as a toy before! Time to go fishin' for Krakens!

I do remember the 3 3/4 line which seemed to resemble Star Wars figures..locked joints and such. Still cool though.
"I send my murdergram to all the monster kids, it comes right back to me, signed in their parents blood"

NekroDave

That Kraken has been on my list of "wanna get it, but don't gotta get it" types for a long time now. I want one in the box, but to get one like that, you're typically gonna have to throw down $200+, something I haven't been prepared to do as yet. But for such a small line of toys, I really should make an effort to get them all. Hopefully the new movie doesn't inflate the prices.