Whats the last song you listened to today??

Started by Dr.Teufel Geist, June 22, 2009, 06:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geezer butler

geezer butler

Tricky: Makes Me Wonder

Beautifully sad song.

geezer butler

Wolfman

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

geezer butler

Mercyful Fate:

Evil
Black Funeral
Satan's Fall
Desecration of Souls
Doomed by the Living Dead
Nuns Have No Fun

Timi Hansen RIP

Hail Satan \m/

marsattacks666

Quote from: geezer butler on November 12, 2019, 01:54:12 AM
Mercyful Fate:

Evil
Black Funeral
Satan's Fall
Desecration of Souls
Doomed by the Living Dead
Nuns Have No Fun

Timi Hansen RIP

Hail Satan \m/

Oh my Lanta
I just watched King Diamond, Live on YouTube for his latest album, Masquerade Of Madness-2020 release.🤘

Hail, Satan!👹
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

geezer butler

Herb Alpert: Rise

marsattacks666

PIL- Rise(12" single)
The Damned-Fan Club
Black Flag-Depression

Hepcat

This one by the Kingston Trio!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3zdE8bliGI#

While the song was recorded in 1958 and became a big hit single, I might not have heard it for the first time until perhaps 1960 when I was eight years old. I always thought the song was in reference to Dr. Tom A. Dooley III (17 Jan 1927 - 18 Jan 1961), a very famous Catholic aid worker in Indochina at the time. He and his aid work had been the subject of magazine articles in wide circulation publications such as Life, Saturday Evening Post, Look, etc, which is probably how he'd come to my attention. By 1960 it was widely known that Tom Dooley was losing a battle with cancer so even as a youngster in those much less politically correct times I thought the song was rather mean. "Yeah, Tom, despite all your selfless humanitarian work you're still going to die!"

This impression of mine was evidently not uncommon at the time. But just yesterday I learned that my lifelong assumption was incorrect! The song actually originated as a southern folk spiritual based on the 1866 murder of a woman named Laura Foster in Wilkes County, North Carolina. Tom Dula (pronounced Dooley) was hanged for the crime but there remains considerable doubt that his conviction was wrongful.

:-\
Collecting! It's what I do!

Wicked Lester

geezer butler

Yeah that is a good version. I lmao first time I heard it.

geezer butler

Issac Hayes: Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic

Wicked Lester

geezer butler

Smoooooth  8)

The Isley Brothers: Voyage to Atlantis
                             Footsteps in the Dark