Check Out The Trailer For "Penny Dreadful" Coming May 11 from Showtime

Started by emazers, February 15, 2014, 01:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Bad Wolf

Looks like a much better take on the classic monsters than anything NBC is likely to crank out, if Dracula is any indication. I'm curious how faithful they'll be to the characters, but at least it appears to be a genuine attempt at Gothic Horror.

I'm curious who that contortionist character is. If that's supposed to be Spring-Heeled Jack, well done on making him a creepy, credible monster again. I'm not sure that's the case though.
Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf! Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Lala lala laaa...

Mord

horrorhunter

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mord

HH, I'm getting a little tired of having to wade through a sea of disgusting breasts and other female body parts to get past your vile posts. Also, my computer seems to take a much longer time getting past these pictures (a defect of some sort, I'm sure). 

horrorhunter

Quote from: Mord on February 15, 2014, 07:25:48 PM
HH, I'm getting a little tired of having to wade through a sea of disgusting breasts and other female body parts to get past your vile posts. Also, my computer seems to take a much longer time getting past these pictures (a defect of some sort, I'm sure).
My apologies, kind sir. I'm compelled to expose the truth to the great unwashed masses. If that truth is rife with images of the comely, curvy, and scantily clad, then that is simply a burden we must bear in our quest for enlightenment. Carry on, fellow crusader.  :angel: :)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mord

Quote from: horrorhunter on February 15, 2014, 07:56:51 PM
My apologies, kind sir. I'm compelled to expose the truth to the great unwashed masses. If that truth is rife with images of the comely, curvy, and scantily clad, then that is simply a burden we must bear in our quest for enlightenment. Carry on, fellow crusader.  :angel: :)
You're absolutely right. I always think of the personal suffering you and I go through and forget about the final result. You're a better man than I, valiant crusader.

Haunted hearse

What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

horrorhunter

Quote from: Haunted hearse on February 15, 2014, 10:12:14 PM
Hasn't she posted here some time back?  I love her work.
I've seen some of her old posts on here. She may feel a bit shot down since Showtime swiped her name. I really enjoy Penny Dreadful's Shilling Shockers.

Getting back to the point of the thread, this show does look pretty cool. We can use all the good horror we can get.  cl:)

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Big Bad Wolf

Quote from: horrorhunter on February 16, 2014, 12:58:13 AMShe may feel a bit shot down since Showtime swiped her name.
In fairness it's not really her name. The term "penny dreadful" has been around long enough that it's used like this a lot, and considering the premise of this show, it's not inaccurate. Still, she's pretty great though, and definitely one Penny Dreadful worth remembering and enjoying!
Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf! Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Lala lala laaa...

horrorhunter

Quote from: Big Bad Wolf on February 16, 2014, 04:49:05 AM
In fairness it's not really her name. The term "penny dreadful" has been around long enough that it's used like this a lot, and considering the premise of this show, it's not inaccurate. Still, she's pretty great though, and definitely one Penny Dreadful worth remembering and enjoying!
I was joking. However, it is her character's name because she's called that, and she was the only one that I'm aware of using it that is known to the public, or more accurately to the horror community. Whether or not she could lay any legal claim to it I have no idea. Since nobody is stealing her gig it probably falls under public usage since it originated in Victorian Britain to describe cheap fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_dreadful
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Big Bad Wolf

Quote from: horrorhunter on February 16, 2014, 02:04:43 PM
I was joking. However, it is her character's name because she's called that, and she was the only one that I'm aware of using it that is known to the public, or more accurately to the horror community. Whether or not she could lay any legal claim to it I have no idea. Since nobody is stealing her gig it probably falls under public usage since it originated in Victorian Britain to describe cheap fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_dreadful
I'm just glad people still remember the penny dreadfuls on some level. So much importance and influence, and so little appreciation.

horrorhunter

Quote from: Big Bad Wolf on February 16, 2014, 02:32:00 PM
I'm just glad people still remember the penny dreadfuls on some level. So much importance and influence, and so little appreciation.
I agree, Big Bad Wolf. The Penny Dreadfuls have a very important place in the history of affordable printed entertainment, which includes many of the items we hold dear in our collections- Pulps, Comic Books, and Monster Magazines.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Haunted hearse

Quote from: horrorhunter on February 17, 2014, 01:54:22 AM
I agree, Big Bad Wolf. The Penny Dreadfuls have a very important place in the history of affordable printed entertainment, which includes many of the items we hold dear in our collections- Pulps, Comic Books, and Monster Magazines.
My understanding, thanks to inflation, they are now called dollar dreadfuls. :P
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?