Watch "Penny Dreadful" early!

Started by Big Bad Wolf, April 28, 2014, 06:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geezer butler

Anyone else watch the premiere last night?

I like the series and think it has a lot of potential.

I'm disappointed though that they don't show the Count. When I saw the three she-creatures attack Vanessa, I though for sure they were Dracula's brides. But I was wrong.

I hope they make room for Dr. Jekyll and the Invisible Man. They should 86 Dorian Grey character IMO and bring in the Count,  Jekyll or Invisible Man.

It looks like series will feature strong witchcraft theme this season. That's fine but I'm going through witchcraft fatigue. True Blood and American Horror Story did that, and there's an entire series (Salem) devoted to the topic. So I'm not crazy about PD going there.

I think the Frankenstein's Monster character steals the show. Hopefully we'll see more werewolf this season too.

Gory Glenn

Caught the last few minutes but I did record it so will have to watch it soon. Your right about the Monster being the most interesting part of the show and now there's his mate. Be interesting to see where this goes.

Big Bad Wolf

I was also really frustrated that Dracula didn't show up in the flesh. I'm sure they're saving him for later. I just hope they're as respectful of him as they've been to the Frankenstein characters.
Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf! Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Lala lala laaa...

ScreamingSpider

I'm kind of hoping that the "Devil" that is occasionally taking hold of Vanessa is in fact Dracula. I know possession isn't in the his usual repertoire of powers but considering he's often depicted as having mind control powers it's not that big of a stretch. It also plays into his modus operandi of being a abusive sexual predator that turns womens' sexuality against them. Weirdly enough the NBC series kept this aspect but decided to portray it as romantic/enticing instead of horrific.

And sadly, this is probably the closest thing we're going to get to a proper Universal Monsters revival. Even if it does draw more from literature than cinema.
It is the year of our lord 2015, I have yet to stop being pissed by the NBC Dracula.

Gory Glenn

I'm trying to like this show but I find it hard to watch. Some of the story arcs are interesting, like the Frankenstein story, but others are boring like the Vanessa Ives story arc. Great Victorian Gothic atmosphere which is what attracted me to it in the first place.

geezer butler

Quote from: ScreamingSpider on May 19, 2015, 10:49:14 AM
"I'm kind of hoping that the "Devil" that is occasionally taking hold of Vanessa is in fact Dracula."

I've been thinking the same thing. When they talk about "the Master" I hope they mean the Count.

geezer butler

Quote from: Gory Glenn on May 19, 2015, 04:34:28 PM
I'm trying to like this show but I find it hard to watch. Some of the story arcs are interesting, like the Frankenstein story, but others are boring like the Vanessa Ives story arc. Great Victorian Gothic atmosphere which is what attracted me to it in the first place.

I have similar feelings about the show. I always say it has "a lot of potential." I really dig the premise of the show and enjoy the set and costume designs. Some of the characters are very interesting, but the writing is uneven IMO. To me, the Frankenstein arch and werewolf story lines are the best. Yet they get interrupted by the Vanessa witch situation. The Dorian Gray character doesn't work either. You could develop a pretty cool story line around him, but instead he disappears for multiple episodes. Then they'll throw him in some gratuitous hyper-sexual scene, and move on. Last season they put Vanessa in these gratuitous hyper-sexual situations too. Believe me, I'm not a prude. But if a show is trying too hard to make things 'sexy-chic,' it usually doesn't work. It's too obvious and the scenes end up looking banal.

geezer butler

Real good episode last night. Things were moving a bit slow, but great stuff last episode.

*I thought they abandoned Dracula story-line, but after last night I feel like the Count's appearance is imminent.

*Dorian Gray character starting to get interesting. And they finally showed the portrait last night. 

*The scene between the Monster and the Bride was excellent IMO. The Bride could end up being the coolest character on the show.

Seems like there may be confrontation between Monster (or the Bride) and Dorian Gray. That would be awesome. I hope Vanessa et al. recruit the Monster at some point. I really want to see some monster against monster fight scenes.

I hear the show gets low ratings, but Showtime is giving it at least one more season. Penny D isn't perfect, but I support it cuz how many Gothic horror shows are there on TV? Shows with these great characters??

ravenloft

I haven't seen any of the second season, I don't have Showtime and watched the first season on DVD. Will have to pick up second season this way too. Hopefully it is still as intriguing and promising as the first was. I too felt like the Vanessa Ives story line seems to dominate too much of the story line overall and was outright shocked when the monster was destroyed by the first after just developing empathy for him, well played writers. Detracting was when van Helsing was abruptly slain before he became a "cast member" leaving me dismayed and on edge. Maybe that is what the writers were going for, don't get too comfortable, but it seems they wasted a good deal of built in legend potential with the demise of that character. Overall I am pleased and it certainly has more exciting promise as a series. What is your speculation for the third season's story arc?

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/penny-dreadful-season-three-renewal-for-showtime-series-37137/

geezer butler

Quote from: ravenloft on June 24, 2015, 06:52:44 PM
I haven't seen any of the second season, I don't have Showtime and watched the first season on DVD. Will have to pick up second season this way too. Hopefully it is still as intriguing and promising as the first was. I too felt like the Vanessa Ives story line seems to dominate too much of the story line overall and was outright shocked when the monster was destroyed by the first after just developing empathy for him, well played writers. Detracting was when van Helsing was abruptly slain before he became a "cast member" leaving me dismayed and on edge. Maybe that is what the writers were going for, don't get too comfortable, but it seems they wasted a good deal of built in legend potential with the demise of that character. Overall I am pleased and it certainly has more exciting promise as a series. What is your speculation for the third season's story arc?

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/penny-dreadful-season-three-renewal-for-showtime-series-37137/

Yeah I watched the first season on blue-ray. The only reason we have Showtime now is we switched cable providers and they threw it in as part of the deal.

I think you'll like Season two though. In terms of season three, I hope they stop teasing us with Dracula Easter eggs and just show us the Count. And I hope he becomes a primary character. I agree with you about Van Helsing. That was disappointing the way they wrote his character off right away. So if they show Dracula it better not be a cameo like VH.

The show's creator said in interviews he'd like to introduce Dr. Moreau as a character. That would be cool, but I think Dr. Jekyll has to be there. In terms of the Big 4 of Gothic horror literature, he's the only one missing from the PD universe. The Invisible Man would be cool too. I would go deeper and feature character based on Bram Stoker's "Jewel of Seven Stars." In other words have a female Mummy character.

Big Bad Wolf

Ethan Chandler's real name was revealed last episode and it's a doozy: Ethan Lawrence Talbot. It's interesting too, in that his werewolf makeup is deliberately based on the earlier Werewolf of London.
Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf! Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Lala lala laaa...

Wicked Lester

I just bought season one off Amazon unseen just based on overall reviews. Probably do a two day marathon next weekend.

ravenloft

Ooh goody! I just picked up season 2 on DVD so now i can catch up to the rest of you since I don't have Showtime. I plan on marathon watching the whole damn thing tonight (if i can make it), getting up tomorrow for work is going to be rough...

ravenloft

well i finished season two. I certainly enjoyed the whole witch shack on the moors training and whatnot but felt the other plot lines dragged or even detracted a bit. Seems like they ended it not expecting to get picked up for a third season, now what do they do plot-wise when the cast is scattered to the four winds at the start of season three...

Big Bad Wolf

Quote from: ravenloft on October 28, 2015, 02:28:06 AM
well i finished season two. I certainly enjoyed the whole witch shack on the moors training and whatnot but felt the other plot lines dragged or even detracted a bit. Seems like they ended it not expecting to get picked up for a third season, now what do they do plot-wise when the cast is scattered to the four winds at the start of season three...
I dunno, but they're bringing in Dr. Jekyll (and presumably his nasty little counterpart too). So.