Ben Cooper Shocking Phantoms

Started by raycastile, November 20, 2011, 11:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjaycox

I have that book! I have about 2 or 3 dozen boxed costumes
"I don't want to live in the past. I just don't want to lose it."
     -The Two Jakes

Hepcat

Cool! I'd like to see some pictures! Why don't you start a thread for classic kids' Halloween costumes?

Either that or post yours in one of these existing threads:

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=20324.msg327051;topicseen#msg327051

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=15262.0

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=29649.0

:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

raycastile

Quote from: Hepcat on May 15, 2016, 04:11:17 AM
If you like Halloween costumes, by all means get the book:

It's a good one!

How many M.I.B. Halloween costumes in all do you have in your collection?

???

I'm pretty sure I bought that book in the years since I originally posted. But all my collecting books are now boxed up and in the basement.

I have a lot of boxed costumes. I have several boxes of boxes. I'm guessing I have 75-100 costumes.
Raymond Castile

YoungestMonsterKid

So I found this image online. I think this shows that they reused the same smock for the later Phantom mask.
Either that or this particular mask and this smock somehow got mixed up together, which I doubt.

Mike Scott

Quote from: YoungestMonsterKid on October 20, 2017, 09:46:28 PM
Either that or this particular mask and this smock somehow got mixed up together, which I doubt.

It happens! A guy was selling a DP Creature costume and box with a Collegeville Creature mask, a couple of months ago.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

YoungestMonsterKid

Either way, I think this smock is really cool. It's different from the usual kind that have the character on them. (Which I still don't understand.) But I guess I didn't grow up with costumes being like that.
He has his name on his pocket watch so if he loses it people will know where to return it. And I was actually thinking that the knife isn't in him but just in his pocket. That's the blood of whoever he just stabbed.

Not really sure how I feel about the Shock Monster-esque version. It doesn't really seem like the Phantom is the first thing people will think of it as.

Hepcat

Quote from: Mike Scott on October 20, 2017, 10:42:27 PMIt happens! A guy was selling a DP Creature costume and box with a Collegeville Creature mask, a couple of months ago.

:o

Hopefully you pointed that out to him!

???

Mike Scott

Quote from: Hepcat on October 21, 2017, 05:50:40 AM
Hopefully you pointed that out to him!

I did and he even had the correct mask in another auction, so he made the switch.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

Hepcat

Quote from: YoungestMonsterKid on October 20, 2017, 11:53:41 PMIt's different from the usual kind that have the character on them. (Which I still don't understand.) But I guess I didn't grow up with costumes being like that.

Neither my friends nor I ever had a full-fledged store bought (Collegeville, Ben Cooper, etc.) Halloween costume as kids. My parents would have thought such a thing was shamelessly profligate and completely out of the question.

I'm therefore not sure when I first noted that most of these costumes were self-referential and had the character's name emblazoned on the front. But I thought it was ridiculous and bizarre when I did.

But I now associate the self-referential aspect with the kids' costumes of old that were displayed in a riot of colour hanging from the ceiling in neighbourhood Woolworth, Kresge, Metropolitan and Zellers stores.

As a result that's what I now expect in a kids' costume.

:-\

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: YoungestMonsterKid on October 20, 2017, 09:46:28 PM
So I found this image online. I think this shows that they reused the same smock for the later Phantom mask.

That's not the right mask for that costume.

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on October 24, 2017, 11:55:43 PM
That's not the right mask for that costume.
Have you seen the right shirt for it? What does it look like?

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: YoungestMonsterKid on October 25, 2017, 03:02:41 PM
Have you seen the right shirt for it? What does it look like?

I have. It's an exaggerated tux front with a huge printed medallion that has the Phantom's face on it.

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on October 26, 2017, 07:03:09 AM
I have. It's an exaggerated tux front with a huge printed medallion that has the Phantom's face on it.
Glad to know. Now I need to find a picture of this.

Maceo1

I am being watched, by blind people.