monster make-over

Started by poseablemonster, April 17, 2008, 08:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poseablemonster

I've always disliked those Burger King Creature From The Black Lagoon premium figures.  The translucent green plastic just doesn't work well for the figure, and makes the sculpt look kinda thick and not detailed.  Anyway, on a whim I took one and sprayed a coat of primer on it.  It already looked better at that point.  You could begin to see some more detail in the figure.  Then I threw a quickie paintjob on top of it, and I think it's a pretty decent looking figure.  I was really surprised by the detail in the sculpt:

Trap-Door Maker

Wow. That is a nice sculpt. Someone did a similar thing with their Toy Island monster figures & revealed some pretty decent sculpts, as well.

Getter_1

I have that figure and now that I see it painted, it's really a shame that they used green clear plastic to make it.  Your paint job makes it look so much better.  Nice work!

Crazy1van

I have two of those squirt-gun figures.  Now that I see the potential, maybe I'll risk one of them to my heavy-handed brush strokes.  If so, I'll post the results.
Homo homini lupus
"Man is a wolf to man"

http://www.pjfarmer.com/woldnewton/Talbot.pdf

Wich2

REALLY sharp, Andy!

Speaking of repaints, and of Megos, which we were elsewhere:

- If you strip down a Mego (or CTVT repro) Frankenstein head, you can see MUCH more Karloff/Strange influence. Repaint the bangs right, even moreso; add heavy lids, & you're almost at Pierce (except for the moved bolts.)

Best,
-Craig W.

raycastile

He's a pretty sweet Creetch.  Those BK figures are probably the nicest versions of the Uni Monsters done in that scale.  The funky plastic and minimal paint jobs obscures some nice sculpts.
Raymond Castile

gracebuster

fmofmpls

Nicely done Andy! 100% better. Will you also provide beauty makeovers on the remaining BK monsters? And don't stop there! Might as well help out the Jack In The Box monsters too. Then when your done with all of that, I'll send you all mine.  ;D
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

poseablemonster

Thanks for the compliments!  It really is an easy process.  Just get some black spray-on primer and hit it with a thin coat.  After it dries, dry-brush white paint on it to bring out the detail.  Then various greens and yellows until it looks OK.  Finish off the eyes, lips and red claws and a coat of clear sealer...VIOLA!  New and improved creature!

Toy Ranch

Wow, who woulda thought!  Cool, nice job Andy!