Another thanks to Mego73, the Monster Display box has arrived! ! (pics inside )

Started by Roback, April 17, 2008, 08:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roback

Seeing that Mikes Mego Monster display box went over so well at Megocentral and also because Mike asked me to share it here with you guys, i thought I would post some pics and share. Let me start from the beginning. A few months ago I challenged Mike to come up with a Monster counter display box. Ever since he knocked the ball out of the park when I needed someone to create a box for the Megocon2004 Invisibleman exclusive, Mike has been my go to guy for all of my needs. After a long three month wait, the package finally arrived yesterday afternoon. It's obvious that Mike pulled out all the stops on this badboy. I'm not sure how he did it ( and on a few occasions he wasn't sure that he could either ) but he accomplished what he set out to do in spades.
As a clawed my way through the packing material I began to see the vibrant colors that Mikes work is so known for. As you can see from the pics below, I was beaming with enthusiasm. Mike even went so far as to fill it up with custom reproduction boxes. Freakin' incredible! I remember seeing a post a week back where Mike was kind enough to send an UMA member a reproduction Wolfman box out of the blue. That's just the kind of guy he is and I gotta tell you guys, he really blew me away with this one. If anyone would like to pick one up for their own collection, Mike would be happy to make you one. A guy with this big a heart and drive deserves our support. Thanks again Mike, for everything!

Robert Acquarulo

poseablemonster

Wow, really amazing work.   It makes me want to get into the Mego Monsters a bit more!

Roback

Knowing you Andy, I'm surprised that you aren't already. It's a great line with beautiful artwork. I especially like the choice of packagings you can choose from. Kresge cards, window box, solid box or Lion Rock cards, one is better than the next. The figures displayed loose with maybe the Mad Monster castle in the background looks cool too.
Still, can you imagine walking in to a toy store and seeing this counter display box chock full of boxed Monsters? Todays toys pale in comparison.
Robert Acquarulo

poseablemonster

I had this discussion with a group of friends not long ago...the Mego Monsters were not really my favorites as a kid.  I loved the Mego Mummy, but the other ones just didn't look enough like the real Universal Monster counterparts to capture my appreciation.  So, I had the AHI monsters and the Mego Mummy.  As an adult collector, I do appreciate the copyright-dodging creativity of the line, but I always seem to gravitate toward the kinds of stuff I really loved as a kid; and the AHI stuff will always be my favorite.

Mego73

A lot of those repro boxes are only folded photopaper and some of them have no bottoms. It was the experimenting I was doing to see how I could economically offer someone that display with (what looked like) a full set of boxes in the future.

What I would probabaly do in the future is do is do them bottomless and once folded stick in a paperboard insert to reinforce them while still avoiding the more costly adhesive mounting I would do for a one shot repro box.
Retro-maniac at large

Crazy1van

Amazing-looking display!  But why is the faux Dracula figure so much harder to find than the faux Frankenstein?  MEGO Frankenstein is the ONLY one of that series I owned as a kid, and even in the world of repro-packaging it seems I'm unlikely to complete the set!  8)
Homo homini lupus
"Man is a wolf to man"

http://www.pjfarmer.com/woldnewton/Talbot.pdf

Mego73

Quote from: Crazy1van on April 17, 2008, 03:48:42 PM
Amazing-looking display!  But why is the faux Dracula figure so much harder to find than the faux Frankenstein?  MEGO Frankenstein is the ONLY one of that series I owned as a kid, and even in the world of repro-packaging it seems I'm unlikely to complete the set!  8)

Oh he's out there, on Ebay. Here's a fairly good one for $30

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1970s-MEGO-MAD-MONSTERS-COUNT-DRACULA-VAMPIRE_W0QQitemZ360042569363QQihZ023QQcategoryZ19194QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is also the CTVT reissues, only some of them were better made than others

The only MM fig I found as a kid was the Mummy
Retro-maniac at large

Getter_1

Hmm. That description gives a new meaning to the phrase "tight body".

"This auction is for a Vintage 1970's Mego Mad Monsters Dracula. Great condition figure on a T1 tight body. Facial paint very good w/glow in the dark eyes. Clothes are in great original condition w/slight fuzz as pictured. Cape is excellent. He includes extremely hard to find original dress style rubber shoes. Great display piece! "