Now NBC Says The Munsters Not Entirely Dead Yet!!!!!!!!!!

Started by emazers, January 07, 2013, 05:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emazers

The Munsters Not Entirely Dead at NBC
News
by Ryan Turek
January 06, 2013
Share this story

When it comes to The Munsters, NBC execs know this: What Bryan Fuller did to recreate TV's beloved gang of misfits did not work for them. 

The network hired Fuller do update the monstrous family.  He turned in a pilot called Mockingbird Lane.  The network opted not to run with a series based on that pilot; instead, their aired it at a Halloween special. 

That doesn't mean The Munsters is entirely dead at NBC, however.

Deadline spoke with NBC head Bob Greenblatt about Mockingbird Lane and he explained, "We just decided that it didn't hold together well enough to yield a series.  t looked beautiful and original and creative, but it just all ultimately didn't come together...it just didn't ultimately creatively all work."

He added, "I won't say we won't do another version of The Munsters again." 

So, it's back to the drawing board, but I don't suspect we'll be seeing anything new for quite a while.

Stay up to date with the latest horror news by "liking" Shock Till You Drop's Facebook page and following us on Twitter!
Related Topics:

Mockingbird Lane
    The Munsters
    TV

zombiehorror

Not surprising, look for the next version to be a clone of the original!

frankenbill

Anything is better then that,A clone of the original is what they should have done from the start not that crap they came up with

zombiehorror

Quote from: frankenbill on January 08, 2013, 02:28:49 AM
Anything is better then that,A clone of the original is what they should have done from the start not that crap they came up with

As has been said before reference The Munsters Today to see how a clone turned out; Though The Munsters Today turned out decent and even The Munsters Scary Little Christmas is better than The Munsters Today....All boils down to personal preference I guess but I'd rather not see anyone else try to mimic the original as a full fledged show!

Count_Zirock

As has been previously pointed out in the other "Mockingbird Lane" threads, attempts to recreate "The Monsters" with other casts haven't been very successful. "Here Comes the Monsters" had a great cast (Edward Hermann, Veronica Hamilton, and Robert May) and cameos by the surviving members of the original cast, but it just didn't do well in the ratings. What Fuller and Singer tried was to update the concept to the sensibilities of today's audiences. I liked it, but thought there was lots of room for improvement. I don't see going back to the well and just rehashing the original concept working any better than "Here Come the Munsters" or "The Munsters' Scary Little Christmas." Somewhere, there's got to be a happy medium. Something that appeals to both modern audiences and fans of the original.
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

zombiehorror

Quote from: Count_Zirock on January 14, 2013, 03:55:13 AM
Somewhere, there's got to be a happy medium. Something that appeals to both modern audiences and fans of the original.

There is......it's called The Munsters, the original Munsters!!  ;D

Count_Zirock

Quote from: Count_Zirock on January 14, 2013, 03:55:13 AMSomewhere, there's got to be a happy medium. Something that appeals to both modern audiences and fans of the original.
I do believe you missed my point about something that would appeal to both fans of the original "The Munsters" and something that appeals to fans of "Twilight"-y crap. Joss Whedon might've been able to achieve the right balance. Maybe Marti Noxon, or perhaps Chris Carter.

zombiehorror

Quote from: Count_Zirock on January 15, 2013, 05:32:37 AM
I do believe you missed my point about something that would appeal to both fans of the original "The Munsters" and something that appeals to fans of "Twilight"-y crap. Joss Whedon might've been able to achieve the right balance. Maybe Marti Noxon, or perhaps Chris Carter.

Quote from: Count_Zirock on January 14, 2013, 03:55:13 AM
Somewhere, there's got to be a happy medium. Something that appeals to both modern audiences and fans of the original.

Oh, ok!!  So maybe they should colorize the original Munsters episodes!!!   :D  ;D  I don't know about any other Munster fan but I want nothing to do with a show that panders to fans of Twilight!  :o

Haunted hearse

If they do anew Munster series, I hope they consider Brad Garet as "Herman".  The man is physcally imposing, has a great sense of humor, and was great playing the monster "Phil" in "Toonsylvania".
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

zombiehorror

Quote from: Haunted hearse on January 15, 2013, 04:52:20 PM
If they do anew Munster series, I hope they consider Brad Garet as "Herman".  The man is physcally imposing, has a great sense of humor, and was great playing the monster "Phil" in "Toonsylvania".

At the age of 52 I doubt his name when come anywhere close to being considered for the role.

Haunted hearse

Considering the makeup they'd be using to make Garret look like Herman, I hardly think he'd be too elderly to play the part.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Count_Zirock

Quote from: zombiehorror on January 15, 2013, 02:00:55 PM
Oh, ok!!  So maybe they should colorize the original Munsters episodes!!!   :D  ;D  I don't know about any other Munster fan but I want nothing to do with a show that panders to fans of Twilight!  :o
As long as Lily and Grandpa don't sparkle, I think we'd be OK.
I'm not sure if Brad Garrett would accept the role of Herman, even if it were offered to him. Seems too much like the kind of typecasting he'd avoid. But, he used to do a great Herman imitation in his standup routine, back in the days before "Everybody Loves Raymond."