Monster candy??

Started by Dr.Terror, December 12, 2007, 06:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monolith on April 14, 2018, 04:51:14 PM
He looks like a Frankenstein type monster.

Oh, definitely!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

skully

Monolith!!  It's so neat that you still retained this monster memory!

Monolith

Quote from: skully on April 14, 2018, 11:51:23 PM
Monolith!!  It's so neat that you still retained this monster memory!

Thanks! I wish I kept the other ones, too, but they are long, long, gone.

skully

Monolith,  do you remember what year it was from? 

Hepcat

Quote from: Monolith on April 14, 2018, 04:51:14 PMThe wax syrup-filled monsters Skully pictured above are really rare and great.

Indeed they are!

Quote from: Monolith on April 14, 2018, 04:51:14 PMI have this wax syrup-filled monster which I've had since I was a kid. I remember biting a small piece off in the back to drink the syrup out of. And I still have him. I think he's different than any of the ones pictured above. He looks like a Frankenstein type monster.

Vintage Wax Syrup-Filled Monster by donald deveau, on Flickr

I remember syrup filled wax cigars being sold loose individually in my neck of the woods, but I don't remember any specific wax figures.

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

skully

Hep, back in the day (60's), there were lots of syrup-filled wax novelties, I sort of remember the cigars, and I remember syrup-filled pencils among others, as well as these monsters. There were single monsters packaged with a cardboard back, and I honestly can't recall just how many boxes of the Phoenix Monster candies I bought, but it was sure a lot, I can still remember them in all the corner stores here in Reading buying them after school. I can still remember standing in line, finally telling the cashier "2 of that, 3 of that, 5 of that", and watching them grab the gems out of the boxes putting them into small bags and paying mere pennies, what fun!

Mike Scott

Quote from: skully on April 17, 2018, 12:30:30 AM
I honestly can't recall just how many boxes of the Phoenix Monster candies I bought

I assume when the candy was gone, you threw away the boxes? (faint!)
CREATURE FAN

skully

Hey Mike!  Well, once in a while I would cut up a box for the back picture, and kept them for a while with my monster gum cards (had tons of these too),  it was just considered another neat monster item at the time.  I have said this many, many times before, no one knew, or even imagined what these items would be worth one day,  to a 9 or 10 year old at the time, it was just another,neat,new monster thing that was being seen practically all the time back then.  Those small "mom-and pop" corner variety stores here in Reading at the time really hold some special memories for me with all the monster stuff that I bought as a kid.  Believe me Mike, I too almost faint when I think about it!

Mike Scott

Quote from: skully on April 17, 2018, 03:07:50 PM
Believe me Mike, I too almost faint when I think about it!

We were no visionaries.  :(
CREATURE FAN

Hepcat

Quote from: skully on April 17, 2018, 03:07:50 PMI have said this many, many times before, no one knew, or even imagined what these items would be worth one day....

Screw the question of "worth"; that's for philistines. I just want to have more of all that neat stuff!

Quote from: skully on April 17, 2018, 03:07:50 PMThose small "mom-and pop" corner variety stores here in Reading at the time really hold some special memories for me with all the monster stuff that I bought as a kid.

I used to feel that way about old mom and pop variety stores until the late nineties or so. Once my collection of kids' stuff exceeded the wildest dreams I had as a kid though, I lost that longing/pining/sadness I used to feel.

:)

skully

Hep,  it is tough to "screw the question" of worth with items like these now a days, for those of us in the know.  We collect these items because we like them and remember them, and yes, I surely did find some of these items put to the curb ready to be taken away in the trash years ago when a mom and pop store was purchased and renovated into apartments,the owners had no idea what they were throwing away.  If one only looks at "worth", well, then I guess you could go out on a limb and call the person philistine, but for us that remember, it's much different. We were there with the early culture of these items,they were an early part of our life.  However, I still have a sadness and longing, be it only for the memories of a time long gone.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Hepcat on April 17, 2018, 03:51:08 PM
Screw the question of "worth"; that's for philistines.

I think of the worth of these things every time I try to buy one of them.
CREATURE FAN

skully

Hepcat

Quote from: Mike Scott on April 17, 2018, 05:22:43 PMI think of the worth of these things every time I try to buy one of them.

That's the part that rankles me as well.

>:(

Monolith

Quote from: skully on April 16, 2018, 11:57:15 AM
Monolith,  do you remember what year it was from?

I don't remember what year I got it. Sometime late '60's to early '70's.

Here's another monster candy...

1960's Monster Grab Bag and Contents by donald deveau, on Flickr