Dinosaur Playsets

Started by horrorhunter, September 09, 2013, 03:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pylgrym

There are a couple really GOOD websites devoted at least in part to the playsets; one is hosted by PREHISTORIC TIMES contributor Randy Knol:
http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/companiesCollectables.html
'
PREHISTORIC TIMES magazine recently published an ad for a new "DREAMWISH" playset - custom - by Ron Lizorty called "DINOSAUR ISLAND" and of course I had to have one.

I am doing my own playsets and have a few on ebay now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-18-Marx-Prehistoric-Times-PlaySet-Homage-CAVE-WARS-Dinosaur-Tribute-/271972883022?hash=item3f52d8da4e:g:xX8AAOSwTapV5HB0
'
pylgrym
"You have created a monster and it will destroy you!"

horrorhunter

Welcome, pylgrym.  :)

Please post some of your dino playsets and other dino items when you have the chance.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Yes, show us what you've got!

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

horrorhunter

Here's a pic of the big, hollow, Ajax Prehistoric Mammals. These were never reissued like the dinos were, as far as I know, so they are pretty scarce these days.

And, here again are the much more common large Ajax hollow dinosaurs.

I believe the dinos were much more common than the prehistoric mammals in the '60s because I don't remember ever seeing the mammals back then and I bought several of the dinos at various dime stores and other toy outlets. On top of that the dinos were repopped by Tootsietoy in the '90s, so those are very plentiful, especially in the repop colors. The original '60s Ajax colors that I remember were White, Red, Blue, and Green.. any other color is probably a repop color, and some in those colors may be repops. The dinos turn up on eBay commonly, and the originals and repops seem to sell for about the same- $3-$6 each, or cheaper in groups. Sure, some sellers try to pass them off for $20 but just ignore that silliness and get 'em cheap. You won't have to wait long. The only hard-to-find one is the Stegosaurus with no missing back plates (those break off easily in play). I don't know a fair market value for the Ajax Prehistoric Mammals because I never see them offered.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on November 17, 2015, 06:41:12 PMHere's a pic of the big, hollow, Ajax Prehistoric Mammals.

Awwwww, they're sweet!

8)

horrorhunter

I avoid promoting other people's auctions, but since these are so scarce I thought it might be of interest. Here's an eBay auction for a Giant Prehistoric Mountain Playset #4304 (Marx, 1977):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121815126633?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This contains everything except an instruction sheet (which the set probably had). The box is a bit crunched, but it isn't bad for these oversized boxes. It has all five pieces of the scarce Marx Prehistoric Mountain terrain set in GRAY plastic, which is correct for this set. The playmat looks pretty decent. It has the 2 palm trees, the 2 ferns, and the correct 12 cavemen (plus an extra). A couple of the dinos may need to be replaced, and there are some extras. Those two cracked terrain pieces in brown are extras from the #3398 from 1971. Those should have been left out since they are worthless in that condition, and just muddy up the auction. The price may seem high to folks who don't collect this stuff, but considering that the more common Prehistoric Mountain sets from '74 and '75 should sell for around $500, or more, complete in nice condition, then this rarer version from '77 should be a great deal at $300 plus shipping. If I didn't already have the set I would be bidding on this.

From 1977 up until they went out of business in 1979, Marx was owned by a British company called Dunbee-Combex. During this period the playsets were downsized. Not many of these Giant Prehistoric Mountain Playsets were made, and very few survive today. You see the more common yellow/brown mountain sets come up on eBay fairly often, but this set with the gray terrain pieces is a rarity.

Here's a pic of mine set up:

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Wicked Lester

Quote from: horrorhunter on November 17, 2015, 06:41:12 PM
Here's a pic of the big, hollow, Ajax Prehistoric Mammals. These were never reissued like the dinos were, as far as I know, so they are pretty scarce these days.

And, here again are the much more common large Ajax hollow dinosaurs.

I believe the dinos were much more common than the prehistoric mammals in the '60s because I don't remember ever seeing the mammals back then and I bought several of the dinos at various dime stores and other toy outlets. On top of that the dinos were repopped by Tootsietoy in the '90s, so those are very plentiful, especially in the repop colors. The original '60s Ajax colors that I remember were White, Red, Blue, and Green.. any other color is probably a repop color, and some in those colors may be repops. The dinos turn up on eBay commonly, and the originals and repops seem to sell for about the same- $3-$6 each, or cheaper in groups. Sure, some sellers try to pass them off for $20 but just ignore that silliness and get 'em cheap. You won't have to wait long. The only hard-to-find one is the Stegosaurus with no missing back plates (those break off easily in play). I don't know a fair market value for the Ajax Prehistoric Mammals because I never see them offered.

In the past I have had the dinos. Like to get them back. The mammals I have never even seen. Very cool. Thanks for posting.

horrorhunter

Quote from: horrorhunter on November 21, 2015, 03:35:48 PM
I avoid promoting other people's auctions, but since these are so scarce I thought it might be of interest. Here's an eBay auction for a Giant Prehistoric Mountain Playset #4304 (Marx, 1977):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121815126633?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
This auction ended and someone got the #4304 for minimum bid. That's a pretty good deal for such a rare set.

In the description the seller listed the box as "poor", which is worse than it really is. Those large boxes for the Marx vertical playsets really took a beating because of their size and shape, and most surviving ones are probably as bad as this one is. I would call it fair condition because it has some problems, but it looks like all of the box is present (no missing flaps or chunks).

I'm pretty sure I'm the only dino playset collector who regularly posts on UMA, so I doubt if the buyer is a UMAite. But, judging from the number of views this thread gets, there must be some dino collectors who check in sometimes from outside UMA. This is the only source of dino playset conversation that gets updated anywhere near regularly that I'm aware of on the web. If anyone knows of any others please post links.

If the buyer reads this thread, congrats. You picked up a real rarity there at a good price.  :)

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on November 24, 2015, 10:22:24 PMThis auction ended and someone got the #4304 for minimum bid. That's a pretty good deal for such a rare set.

I agree!

:)

jimm

Quote from: horrorhunter on November 24, 2015, 10:22:24 PMThis is the only source of dino playset conversation that gets updated anywhere near regularly that I'm aware of on the web.

Glad you do. I know next to nothing of these sets, but they were around the neighborhood pals in the early 70s. Dad, being a Vet, bought Navarone for us IIRC.... Lotta fun

horrorhunter

Quote from: pylgrym on October 31, 2015, 01:40:12 PM
There are a couple really GOOD websites devoted at least in part to the playsets; one is hosted by PREHISTORIC TIMES contributor Randy Knol:
http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/companiesCollectables.html
'
PREHISTORIC TIMES magazine recently published an ad for a new "DREAMWISH" playset - custom - by Ron Lizorty called "DINOSAUR ISLAND" and of course I had to have one.

I am doing my own playsets and have a few on ebay now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-18-Marx-Prehistoric-Times-PlaySet-Homage-CAVE-WARS-Dinosaur-Tribute-/271972883022?hash=item3f52d8da4e:g:xX8AAOSwTapV5HB0
'
pylgrym
Please post pics of that Dinosaur Island custom playset when (if) you get the chance. I don't get Prehistoric Times magazine anymore, and I can't find anything about the Dinosaur Island custom on the web.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Quote from: jimm on November 25, 2015, 10:57:26 AM
Glad you do. I know next to nothing of these sets, but they were around the neighborhood pals in the early 70s. Dad, being a Vet, bought Navarone for us IIRC.... Lotta fun
That Marx Navarone Mountain Playset is pretty sweet.

I limit my collecting to dinosaur and monster items due to space and cost, but if I did collect war playsets I would be all over a Navarone Mountain.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

There's a lot of really gorgeous sets featuring dinosaurs on this website:

Don Glut's Dinosaurs

;)

Jethro

Now that is who I would like to see play Wilma and Betty! 

jimm

How do these Dino toys entice women to disrobe? Inquiring minds want to know...