The Great Garloo versus King Zor!

Started by Hepcat, January 11, 2011, 12:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

So which was the more fabulous toy, the Great Garloo by Marx or King Zor by Ideal?

Who had one or the other? Did anyone have both? Who has them now?

:-\
Collecting! It's what I do!

Trimurdera

I had them both back in 1968 they were hand me downs from my neighbor. Then my stupid older brothers dropped a refrigerator on Garloo and all that survived was his head. And King Zor was taken away from me because I only had marbles to shoot out of him and I broke a few windows.  Ahhh Good times! :)
Trimurdera

RICKH

I have Garloo.  I got him for Christmas back in '62 and let me just say he was and is AWESOME!  What toy commercial can come close to this?
Great Garloo commercial ( Marx 1961 )

Okay...maybe this one.

Robot Commando commercial ( Ideal 1961 )
You can't kill the boogeyman.  Halloween (1978)

bigbud

Rickh, Thanks so much for the great tv commercials! I've never seen the Garloo one! Love where he dumps the train trestle! Zor or Garloo? That's a tuff one. See you added Robot Commando to the discussion.......Here's my Christmas '62 letter and envelope to Santa that was found in my Mom's things after she passed away. Mom was great at listening to what we wanted for Christmas. Also, Hepcat, I have to add that you are leaving out the true King of early 60's plastic in the face-off, in my humble toy-lovin' opinion......Naw, I'll let you guess.......Bud

RICKH

Man, I love that letter.  The address with the reindeer is priceless!  You wouldn't be talking about Big Lou would you??
You can't kill the boogeyman.  Halloween (1978)

Scatter

Awesome letter Bud!! But who the heck is "Stanta"??  :D
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

bigbud

LOL.....Yea I caught that too. I don't really remember what Kansas City 14 Mo. means either. As for the spelling.....I'm just lucky we have spell-checker for posts here on the UMA....Bud

foolish mortal

Man those commercials are great. The letter is priceless ;) Stanta Claus :P

bigbud

Alright you guys.....I was mighty little......then. 240 and 6'7" now. So stop making fun of Stanta!
   Rickh, you got it....But it's Big LoO. I believe it was Toy Shop Magazine that pronounced the big 5 of the early plastic greats.....Big Loo (King), Robot Commando, King Zor, The Great Garloo and I believe #5 was Odd Ogg. All the best gifts any kid ever got for whatever occasion!    Bud

bigbud

The Gang (of 5) thought this post would be the perfect opportunity to get dusted off and out of the basement. We caught a break as the wife was upstairs at the time and saw none of this photo session.......she isn't for the toys breaking out of the basement except if I'm selling em...which I ain't! Don't know if you can tell, Odd Ogg is chewing on my startled rubber King Kong....I love to torture that critter (check my avatar)!  Bud

toys-of-terror

bigbud

Thanks Toys of Terror, you have some mighty awesome collectables too! You've got me with one eye on the E-bay in hopes of a  Pressman Shrunken head kit. I did some searching and found several Pressman Detestable Edible kits from the 60's. Alittle like the Mattel Incredible Edibles, but not quite so cool.....someone must have found a stash of those Pressman Detestables  somewhere.....Bud

Hepcat

Quote from: Trimurdera on January 11, 2011, 03:14:43 PM
I had them both back in 1968 they were hand me downs from my neighbor. Then my stupid older brothers dropped a refrigerator on Garloo and all that survived was his head.

Smashed to pieces by a piddly refrigerator?! I guess the Great Garloo wasn't so tough after all then. I would have thought it would have taken a whole skyscraper to bring him down.

;)

Hepcat

Quote from: bigbud on January 11, 2011, 08:46:01 PM
Also, Hepcat, I have to add that you are leaving out the true King of early 60's plastic in the face-off, in my humble toy-lovin' opinion......Naw, I'll let you guess.......Bud

Yes. Odd Ogg is all too often overlooked. Very sad.

:(

bigbud

OK Hepcat........come clean! Your first set of pics had a very complete Zor with gun and balls and this last pic looks like a MIB still factory sealed OGG! Both those pictures look  home-made and recent......These yours?! If so.........I (we) want to see more, please!    Bud