Let the Mcfarlane Universal speculation begin ......

Started by Mcfly22, February 15, 2024, 11:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mcfly22

TheMadScientist

Interesting. The article does mention the first wave will include figures from the Blues Brothers, 40 Year Old Virgin and The Big Lebowski, so this won't be only the monsters at the very least.

Considering the likeness issues regarding Lugosi and Chaney, I wonder if they'd go to the trouble of doing those figures, considering this seemingly won't be specific to Universal Monsters.

Hepcat

McFarlane Toys already released a line of Monster Playsets beginning in 1997:

hmjfym
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mike Scott

I don't see anything about the Universal Monsters.

What is "Universal Products & Experiences"?

What are "digital collectibles"?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

TheMadScientist

Quote from: Mike Scott on February 15, 2024, 02:53:15 PM
I don't see anything about the Universal Monsters.

What is "Universal Products & Experiences"?

What are "digital collectibles"?

I assume digital collectibles means like NFTs...though I honestly don't have a firm grasp on what they are. Sometime song the lines of online, digital trading cards (if I'm off base, someone please correct me). I assume Universal Products & Experiences is just some division of Universal that handles merch/their parks.

MrDark1

Quote from: TheMadScientist on February 15, 2024, 06:15:46 PM
I assume digital collectibles means like NFTs...I assume Universal Products & Experiences is just some division of Universal that handles merch/their parks.

Just looked them up, and yes it's the new Universal licensing group all online.  Advertising all Uni titles, and 'stories' available for licensing possibilities.  Yes, NFTs to Hard Product toys are handled on this site under the UPE Banner.

From a new animated version of Renfield to Jaws, and Fast/Furious.  The Monsters are shown, listed as each separate character, with actual studio headshots.  Frankenstein (Karloff from Bride) The Bride (Elsa), Dracula (Lugosi ?! from Mark/Vampire??!) WolfMan and Phantom (both Chaneys), and Invis Man, and Creature.  They are each listed separately, not under Universal Monsters grouping.
Though they are mentioned as such in text on the site listing properties and holdings of theirs.

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

MonsterBaker666

Akira-Devilman

Considering the low quality McFarlane has been doing i dont think its a good idea to add the Monsters to his new lines.I mean, we already have his vision of the Monsters and it was a fantastic line, i cant see why come back to that, specially with wath NECA has been doing.

MrDark1

Agree, though I never liked their versions of the movie monsters, very extreme, exaggerated interpretations of these characters.  Even the Metropolis robot was so characterized, I passed on it too, as there was hardly the film referenced feel when seeing it.

If they give this same treatment to the Uni Monsters, I'm afraid they are going to be lost in the artistic renderings.  I'd love to see some characterizations of the Classic Monsters, keeping their film likenesses, perhaps Neca's Tooney line may offer these.  If Macfarlane takes this approach with the Classic Monsters, keeping likenesses, could be a cool collectible line, if not, then I fear they'll be just generic looking monsters on 'roids.

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: MrDark1 on February 21, 2024, 12:08:51 AM
Agree, though I never liked their versions of the movie monsters, very extreme, exaggerated interpretations of these characters.  Even the Metropolis robot was so characterized, I passed on it too, as there was hardly the film referenced feel when seeing it.

Are you confusing the Silent Screamers Metropolis robot released by Mezco as something released by McFarlane? I'm not familiar with McF ever releasing such a thing.

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Dr.Terror

McFarlane has always done great "figures",  but I'm not interested in another boring single head clamp 31 Frankenstein figure or the other usual suspects.       Do something different.
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

MrDark1

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on February 21, 2024, 03:23:53 AM
Are you confusing the Silent Screamers Metropolis robot released by Mezco as something released by McFarlane? I'm not familiar with McF ever releasing such a thing.

Yep, I did that.  It came out around the same time as the McF Monsters.  At lease I Remember seeing them in Toys R Us when there was such.  Thought it was all the same company, as the designs just didn't appeal to me.