COLORFORMS MONSTER PUTTY

Started by Gasport, June 24, 2009, 09:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Incredible that these have not elicited any discussion on this board since 2010!

:o
Collecting! It's what I do!

Barlow

I'd forgotten this thread. Yeah, I'd KILL to find one of these mint on the card. What an awesome monster item!

Hepcat

Quote from: Monster Bob on June 28, 2009, 02:32:14 PM

No beefin' about the cost of 1960s Monster Toys.

Here's the deal. Fifteen years ago or so, I found a case of Colorforms Monster Print Putty. I was selling them for about $250 a pop. Several Monster collectors bought one from me, Toy Scouts took a couple, etc. I believe most that are "around" came from that find. Many Monster collectors said my price was nuts and so was I. Well now here is that same piece is going for 2X-3X what I was selling them for in the '90s. That's a damn good return on the money. Much better than Sideshows, etc. will ever be overall, IMHO. Supply and demand. Moral of the story? Mint In Box vintage monster toys are a damn good investment, and I have seen that a hundred times over!

As legendary toy dealer, my friend the late Grace Eisenstein always told me, "Mr. Maw-ris, you will neva go wrong if always buy mint-in-the-box." She was so right. Love and miss ya', and g'night, Gracie!

Extrapolating on the basis of what M.I.B. monster toys have done in price over the last 35 years is a hazardous exercise though.

First of all, back in the 1970's Disneyana items appeared to be Grade A collectibles and solid candidates to continue to appreciate in price. They've actually plummeted in price in the last few decades as market interest has shifted away from Disneyana.

Secondly all monster items/toys haven't necessarily fared well in price either. For example the originals of Aurora and other monster model kits that have been reissued have not done well in price at all since 2000.

:-\
Collecting! It's what I do!