Frankenstein and Wolfman legacy collections on Blu Ray

Started by crue-leader, July 17, 2016, 06:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mord

Quote from: Mike Scott on September 06, 2016, 04:36:13 PM
Assuming you have the 8 movie BD set, for WOLF MAN.

That's is what I'm assuming. I hear that 4K TVs are already outdated.  An 8K TV has been announced much to the dismay of those who have recently invested in the 4K sets. I'm holding out for 32K myself.

Anton Phibes

Why would they choose not to include the Werewolf of London as a restored vehicle when the restoration was already done in painstaking detail for its French release? I mean, for goodness sake's, that's all they are doing for Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman. Using the French version. Could this fella have it wrong?? I hope so.

At any rate, the French Frankenstein meets the Wolfman Restoration is so awesome, you can see defects in the Monster make up.

BRICK

While it would be nice to see WWoL restored, personally I would rather have the Creature, Dracula and Mummy films done first.
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Anton Phibes

Quote from: BRICK on September 06, 2016, 04:52:31 PM
While it would be nice to see WWoL restored, personally I would rather have the Creature, Dracula and Mummy films done first.

BRICK---Werewolf of London has already been finished. That's my point of contention. The French already did it. Universal literally have to do nothing to it to release it restored. Because the work has already been done. While I agree Mummy, Creechie, etc are prime staples. those haven't been finished. WWoL is completely done already. Its mind boggling. Grabs of the restored WWoL:

Gory Glenn

Quote from: BRICK on September 06, 2016, 03:44:47 PM
GREAT NEWS!!!!!

I figured I would try to contact one of the NBC/Universal employees on my list to see if I could get a definitive answer as to whether the films being released on Blu-Ray were restored or not. Below is my question and what follows is the answer I got from Michael Ribak.

...do you happen to know if the Blu-Rays of the Frankenstein and Wolf Man collections that Universal is going to be releasing in the next couple of weeks will be the versions that they have been cleaning up and restoring? Thanks.

Lance Brick

Hi Lance,
If you are referring to the Frankenstein and Wolf Man Complete Legacy Collections coming out on Blu-ray this month, the original films (Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein and Wolf Man) are the same discs first released in 2012 – the restored versions. All of the sequels in the set that are new to Blu-ray have also been restored. The only exceptions are the non-sequels (Werewolf of London and She-Wolf of London). Those have been cleaned up and look much better than the current DVDs but have not technically been restored.
Hope that helps!
Michael

Now I'm getting my order in!!!

This is great news! I really thought they would just throw the DVD transfers onto Blu-ray discs. Nice! I'll probably wait for Costco to get them as they'll be cheaper and they always stock the legacy sets during the Halloween season.

crissrudd4554

Guess no fix to the audio for Frankenstein. Figures.

Anthony Caranci

So finally, a restoration of Son of Frankenstein. That is great news! Thank you for all the posts Gory, Brick, Anton and Crissrudd.
Now, I'm just hoping some of these "stupid stores" (out here in the Pacific Northwest) will have them in stock. If they come out on the 13th - I want them in my hands on the 13th!

LugosiFan25

"....flying saucers? You mean the kind from up there?"

Gory Glenn

Quote from: Anthony Caranci on September 07, 2016, 07:26:40 AM
So finally, a restoration of Son of Frankenstein. That is great news! Thank you for all the posts Gory, Brick, Anton and Crissrudd.
Now, I'm just hoping some of these "stupid stores" (out here in the Pacific Northwest) will have them in stock. If they come out on the 13th - I want them in my hands on the 13th!

There's always Amazon.  :)

Anthony Caranci

Quote from: Gory Glenn on September 07, 2016, 01:19:07 PM
There's always Amazon.  :)

True. But still, I would like to have the Frankenstein BD set on the day of release. There's always hope that Best Buy will. In fact, they wanted me to check back with them later this week.

This will work out great: I'll purchase the Frankenstein Legacy BD set, and then just upgrade my 2004 Dracula & Wolf Man Legacy sets with the 2014 legacy sets. As far as The Invisible Man, Mummy, and Creature goes -- the 2004 sets will suffice for the time being. Although I do plan to upgrade those in time.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Anthony Caranci on September 07, 2016, 04:27:45 PM
As far as The Invisible Man, Mummy, and Creature goes -- the 2004 sets will suffice for the time being.

The Creature set was the only one of the 2004 sets that didn't have any of the dreaded DVD18 discs. Both discs are one sided.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Anthony Caranci

Quote from: Mike Scott on September 07, 2016, 04:42:33 PM
The Creature set was the only one of the 2004 sets that didn't have any of the dreaded DVD18 discs. Both discs are one sided.

Yes Mike, that's true. So I won't even have to upgrade that one. Maybe someday in the future.

I found out that Best Buy will not be stocking the BD sets on the day of release. I may just have to order from Amazon. Somebody bring back Circuit City!

Universal Steve

I ordered the Wolfman blue ray online at Best Buy.  They wanted 14.99 plus shipping.  It has just been shipped to me.  We have a local video/music store that takes trades so I turned in a few duplicate movies I had because I upgraded to Blue Ray and a couple of video games I don't play and they gave me 21.00 in store credit. The Frankenstein Blue Ray is listed on their site to be sold for 25.99 .  So it is going to cost me around 5.00 for the Frankenstein set.  Which works out because of the duplication on the disc sets plus I have the original classic horror collection and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein  already on Blue Ray I will only be gaining 2 movies from the Frankenstein set.  Son and  Ghos . So 2.50 per film works for me.  Glad to hear they actually restored them but a little dissapointed that Werewolf Of London wasn't really restored but looking forward to seeing a clearer print of Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman and House of Frankenstein. I am hoping for the other legacy sets to be on Blue Ray and hope I don't have to wait for Halloween every year to just to get 2 more.
Universal Steve
www.universalsteve.com

Anthony Caranci

I live on the West Coast in the Pacific Northwest. Sometimes I feel like the only Monster Fan in the Pacific Northwest. I just can't believe this crap:

I called both Walmart stores in my area - Tumwater & Lacey, WA.  According to the rep I talked to; the store will not be stocking them (at least at this time).

I called Best Buy back (like they asked), and the rep told me that there are NO UNITS in transit to the Olympia store.

When I first moved out here from California; I did realize that there were many individuals out here that couldn't find their own ass without a map!

So I'm hoping to make some phone calls tomorrow and maybe some divine intervention may take place and I might hear the magic words: "Yes we got those in."
If not-- there's always Amazon.

Joseph_Baeza

I also ordered the Wolf Man legacy Blu-ray set because I simply could not pass up the $14.99 Best Buy price.  However, I'm going to wait a little for the Frankenstein set to drop from $29.99, as I'm sure it will by Christmas.  I'm curious to see if Universal ends up releasing some of the titles like Son of Frankenstein and Ghost of Frankenstein individually, like they did after the Essential collection came out a few years ago.  Those are the only two titles I would need from the Frankenstein set, since everything else is duplicated on the Wolf Man set or from the Essential collection.