Frankenstein and Wolfman legacy collections on Blu Ray

Started by crue-leader, July 17, 2016, 06:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crissrudd4554

I know what you mean. My Munsters Season 2 set skipped in one player but was fine in another. One of these days Ill get the single sided reissues. Not much I can add to the rest of what you said. You pretty much nailed it. Universal for the most part have done really well in restoring these films and hopefully more are to come. Yes theres the issues we previously mentioned but thats inevitable. You cant please everyone unfortunately.

LugosiFan25

I just wish there was some sort of confirmation about the true restoration of the other films...that's the only thing that's keeping me from pre-ordering.
"....flying saucers? You mean the kind from up there?"

Anthony Caranci

Yes, some information would be welcomed. In fact, ANY information would be nice.

However, if common sense prevails - you would think that Universal would at least clean the other films up for HD. Maybe? Hopefully?

Looking at the past patterns of Universal, They've been cropping the opening credits within a black border to let us know that they've been doing something to the films. Either restoration or cleanup.

Viewing my old laserdisc's - I noticed that my Son of Frankenstein shows no cropping in the opening. I purchased that laserdisc after the "restored" Frankenstein came out. Bride LD does have it. So does Ghost, Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, House of Frankenstein, and even House of Dracula. These were released WAY before DVD or the Legacy Collections.

Even my 720p Son of Frankenstein shows no cropping in the opening credits. Okay, that's not an "official release," but still, the film looks pretty damn good.

I just watched my Legacy Collection (2004) Son of Frankenstein, and there is no black border on that one either. It has already been determined by Crissrudd4554 that Universal has been messing around with Son because there is missing footage! Why no (proclaimed) "official Restoration?"

Mord

Quote from: LugosiFan25 on August 29, 2016, 10:59:59 AM
I just wish there was some sort of confirmation about the true restoration of the other films...that's the only thing that's keeping me from pre-ordering.
I completely agree.  I have spent enough money re-buying all these films to give me cause to pause. These redos only go down in price as time goes by. I bet we will eventually get a "complete" collection similar to the DVD box. Until then, my 30 movie dvd set will do nicely.

crissrudd4554

To be frank, and not to take anything away from anyone buying the new sets, but I'll probably be living off my 30 film DVD set for a while. HD remasters would be nice but I'm not in dire need of it. I have very bizarre tastes. I like good picture quality but for films like these I don't mind them looking slightly 'unrestored'. The DVDs present just that. ;)

Gojira316

I saw today at Meijer that the Frankenstein and Dracula Legacy Collections are on sale on DVD for $20. I don't own all the movies on the discs, would it be worth buying or just wait for the Blu Ray?
The air itself is filled with monsters.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Gojira316 on August 31, 2016, 08:05:23 PM
I saw today at Meijer that the Frankenstein and Dracula Legacy Collections are on sale on DVD for $20.

The 2014 collections are $20 on amazon all the time.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Anthony Caranci

I may just hold off on the Blu-Ray set until the reviews come in. I called Walmart & Best Buy today to pre order and then pick up at store on the 13th.  No one that I talked to could tell me if they would have them in stock on the day of release.  I imagine they should - but who knows. I tried a pre - order on both sites, and neither Best Buy or Walmart gave me an in store pick up option.

So these things come out on the 13th and the estimated time of arrival by mail is the 27th? WTF? I'd be better off ordering through Amazon.  Best Buy did say that sometimes they get that stuff early. I'll call back on the 8th and see what gives.

Anthony Caranci

Quote from: Gojira316 on August 31, 2016, 08:05:23 PM
I saw today at Meijer that the Frankenstein and Dracula Legacy Collections are on sale on DVD for $20. I don't own all the movies on the discs, would it be worth buying or just wait for the Blu Ray?

Hello Gojira316,
I don't think anyone can answer that question but you. But just ask yourself:
What means more to you? Having all the Legacy Collections, or having the films on Blu-Ray. Just how bad do you want these films on Blu-Ray?

If not too much, then I would buy the straight Legacy Collection DVDs. Naturally, if you "must have them" on Blu-Ray - then go that route. I still have not seen a Dracula Blu-Ray Collection yet! Only Frankenstein & Wolf Man.

And after my earlier post; to be honest with you, I'm thinking very seriously about just upgrading my Legacy Collections. Maybe the BD set at another time. I was very excited about this, but, the lack of information is surely letting the air out of my sails!

I have the old 2004 Gift Set, and those double sided DVDs are just garbage. 

Gojira316

I went ahead and purchased the Legacy Collection DVD of Frankenstein today. The Frankenstein and Dracula Collections share three of the same movies, and since I own the rest of the Dracula collection on individual discs I only bought the one.  They share House of Frankenstein, House of Dracula and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, which are the only ones of the series I do not own.  Thank you everyone for the advice.  I have been watching the special features all afternoon.
The air itself is filled with monsters.

crissrudd4554

Should you stick with DVDs the 2014 DVDs are definitely the way to go. Yes there is the issue of duplication but the discs are single sided and the 8 'main' films are from the BD masters and still look very good even on DVD. Also a glitch that appeared on the first two DVD releases of House of Frankenstein has been fixed. :)

BRICK

GREAT NEWS!!!!!

I figured I would try to contact one of the NBC/Universal employees on my list to see if I could get a definitive answer as to whether the films being released on Blu-Ray were restored or not. Below is my question and what follows is the answer I got from Michael Ribak.

...do you happen to know if the Blu-Rays of the Frankenstein and Wolf Man collections that Universal is going to be releasing in the next couple of weeks will be the versions that they have been cleaning up and restoring? Thanks.

Lance Brick

Hi Lance,
If you are referring to the Frankenstein and Wolf Man Complete Legacy Collections coming out on Blu-ray this month, the original films (Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein and Wolf Man) are the same discs first released in 2012 – the restored versions. All of the sequels in the set that are new to Blu-ray have also been restored. The only exceptions are the non-sequels (Werewolf of London and She-Wolf of London). Those have been cleaned up and look much better than the current DVDs but have not technically been restored.
Hope that helps!
Michael

Now I'm getting my order in!!!
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Mord

That means that the Frankenstein set is a all you need since it has the exact same films minus the two they didn't restore anyway.

BRICK

Exactly! (Unless you really must have She-Wolf of London in every available format).
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Mord on September 06, 2016, 04:01:22 PM
That means that the Frankenstein set is a all you need . . .

Assuming you have the 8 movie BD set, for WOLF MAN.

So, since they didn't have to restore any other movies for the WM set, why not restore WEREWOLF and SHE-WOLF? Guess we'll have to wait another decade for those.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website