Frankenstein and Wolfman legacy collections on Blu Ray

Started by crue-leader, July 17, 2016, 06:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mord

Quote from: Anthony Caranci on August 20, 2016, 02:19:54 AM
To be honest about it -- I was under the impression that Frankenstein films 3 thru 8 were all restored also. It would seem to make sense if they're going to present them all in HD on Blu-ray.

It will be a real disappointment if that is not the case.  It would be nothing more than a cheap tactic to "pilfer" more $$$$.
Yeah, Universal would never do that, right?

Anthony Caranci

Well it seems as though I've been falling for it for decades. I've purchased these films is just about every format:

1981: Beta Cassette for my old Sony SL5600.

1990 - 12 inch laserdisc. There were pretty nice, even though they cost $29.95 apiece. They usually contained a trailer and stills. I still have these.  There was no need to purchase VHS Cassette's with these since there was no copy guard on them. I made my own VHS copies, in the event that my laserdisc player broke down.

Present day: Legacy Collection DVD's.

Future: Legacy Collection Bluray's.

I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment!

Mord

You're not alone, Anthony. We all keep feeding the Universal recycle/resell machine.

Anthony Caranci

Yes. I guess you're right.  I think if someone could calculate just how Universal has made off these films with re-issues, and all the different video formats - they could probably earn a PHD.  But I'll still keep taking the films!

Sunday night:

Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde 1953.
The Egyptian 1954 - Blu-ray.

crissrudd4554

Id like to hope these missing audio bits from Frankenstein will be restored but thats probably wishful thinking on my part.

Anton Phibes

Quote from: crissrudd4554 on August 23, 2016, 11:42:30 AM
Id like to hope these missing audio bits from Frankenstein will be restored but thats probably wishful thinking on my part.

What am I missign Criss? The vhs and the blu sound almost identical....so, what got cut?

Mike Scott

Quote from: Anton Phibes on August 23, 2016, 12:54:40 PM
What am I missign Criss? The vhs and the blu sound almost identical....so, what got cut?

Someone in the crowd outside the door says "Frankenstein" in the VHS, but not in the DVD.

I couldn't hear any difference in the 2nd clip.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

crissrudd4554

In the second clip the reverb to the Monster's growl is missing on the BD.

Mike Scott

Quote from: crissrudd4554 on August 23, 2016, 02:38:50 PM
In the second clip the reverb to the Monster's growl is missing on the BD.

Now I hear it!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mord

Quote from: crissrudd4554 on August 23, 2016, 11:42:30 AM

They will probably be restored,  but one per re-release. One Ultimate Edition will restore the monster's growl. The Super Ultimate Edition will restore the "Frankenstein" in the crowd, and so on.

crissrudd4554

Quote from: Mord on August 23, 2016, 03:04:19 PM
They will probably be restored,  but one per re-release. One Ultimate Edition will restore the monster's growl. The Super Ultimate Edition will restore the "Frankenstein" in the crowd, and so on.

And a third will have a mix that's not overly DNR'd. Just opinion of course but for me the BD mix for Frankenstein is too flat for my tastes evident by this video (you guys may wanna watch this with earphones to really 'hear' it).

crissrudd4554

Hopefully in the new set something will be restored to Son of Frankenstein that's been missing on all the DVD releases but is actually present on the VHS editions. Its when Wolf climbs out of the floor hatch while looking for Ygor. The VHS actually cuts to him climbing out while on the DVD editions it cuts to him already out. About 3-4 seconds of footage is lost here. Below is a screengrab from the VHS edition showing part of the missing footage.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: crissrudd4554 on August 24, 2016, 07:18:04 PM
Hopefully in the new set something will be restored to Son of Frankenstein that's been missing on all the DVD releases but is actually present on the VHS editions. Its when Wolf climbs out of the floor hatch while looking for Ygor. The VHS actually cuts to him climbing out while on the DVD editions it cuts to him already out. About 3-4 seconds of footage is lost here. Below is a screengrab from the VHS edition showing part of the missing footage.

Whenever I get to feeling sad that I have no life, I come to the UMA and I always find something to cheer me up.

ADAM

Joseph_Baeza

Why didn't Universal just release Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection "Volume 2" and give us the restored stuff that hasn't been released on Blu Ray before?  I just don't understand why we need duplicates titles A & C Meet Frankenstein and Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman in each set!  Shame on Universal for doing this and shame on me for shelling out $14.99 for The Wolfman set!  Suckered again.

Anthony Caranci

Quote from: Joseph_Baeza on August 26, 2016, 01:30:00 AM
Why didn't Universal just release Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection "Volume 2" and give us the restored stuff that hasn't been released on Blu Ray before?  I just don't understand why we need duplicates titles A & C Meet Frankenstein and Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman in each set!  Shame on Universal for doing this and shame on me for shelling out $14.99 for The Wolfman set!  Suckered again.

Joseph, you're 100 % correct. That was what they should have done. I can't help but wonder if we will ever see a BD release of The Black Cat 1934, The Raven 1935, The Invisible Ray 1936 and Dracula's Daughter. Pretty soon, I'll have so many copies of these films, that I'll have to give some away. It will be interesting to see just what Universal has in store for us Monster Fans in the future.

I guess it isn't about the money anymore. I had a conversation with a friend who knows how much I love the Roman Empire and Rome Total War (2004) and Total War Rome 2 (2013). I told him: "It has always been Monsters & Rome for me. However, Monsters are really where my heart is."