Super 7 "Official Universal Monsters Thread"

Started by Remco Wolfman, February 16, 2018, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count Zachula

Quote from: Mike Scott on February 27, 2021, 04:41:23 PM
That is the weirdest thing! Who else, besides Universal, could possibly own that design? Universal always owned everything that they created, unless they didn't? Do you suppose somebody had a copyrighted design that predated the Mutant and looked enough like it to win a lawsuit?

Who did the initial design of the Mutant? Maybe they have some ownership over it?  Like how Karloff/Lugosi/Chaney have ownership over likenesses, while Universal still owns the films.

BRICK

I'm not sure if it was a Milicent Patrick drawing or not; but I believe that the look of the Metaluna Mutant came from an alien design rejected for It Came From Outer Space. However, it could have been influenced by the Sci-Fi comics of the era.
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

fearliath

Quote from: Mike Scott on February 27, 2021, 04:41:23 PM
That is the weirdest thing! Who else, besides Universal, could possibly own that design? Universal always owned everything that they created, unless they didn't? Do you suppose somebody had a copyrighted design that predated the Mutant and looked enough like it to win a lawsuit?

Weird for sure. Mostly because they'd been using it/licensing it for 65 years. Maybe for some reason they can still license it but not as a Universal Monster as a result of a settlement or something (but again, 65 years is a long time to pass before it came up).

I'm pretty confident Disney wouldn't get themselves in a situation where they weren't allowed to license Daisy Duck after 65 years.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Count Zachula on February 27, 2021, 05:10:41 PM
Who did the initial design of the Mutant?

Millie Patrick, but Universal wouldn't let their artists own the stuff they created for the movies. The composers didn't own the music they wrote, either. No different than a contractor not owning the houses he builds.

Quote from: Count Zachula on February 27, 2021, 05:10:41 PM
Like how Karloff/Lugosi/Chaney have ownership over likenesses

That's a different thing. Universal didn't own their likenesses.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mike Scott

Quote from: BRICK on February 27, 2021, 05:26:38 PM
However, it could have been influenced by the Sci-Fi comics of the era.

That's what I was thinking.
CREATURE FAN

darkmonkeygod

That post isn't clear at all. This issue is not that the Metaluna Mutant isn't a Universal Monster. f course it is. As I understand it, at issue in this particular case is Universal doesn't have a clear command of ownership of certain elements of the design. I'm not taking about the head and hands, things that came from the makeup department. Its the garment that they may not hold the rights to.

I haven't heard that this issue came up specifically with the Mutant, but because it is an issue with other properties, Uni is taking the "safe" route. I think we may still see masks or other objects that don/t feature the pants. There's another monster who's in the same boat, at east once they took him out of the lagoon, performed surgery on him and dressed him in a burlap sack designed by... who? What a world, huh?

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Mike Scott

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on February 28, 2021, 11:13:58 PM
Its the garment that they may not hold the rights to.

. . . and dressed him in a burlap sack designed by... who?

Well, who designed those costumes, if it wasn't Universal employees from the wardrobe dept.?
CREATURE FAN

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: Mike Scott on February 28, 2021, 11:25:36 PM
Well, who designed those costumes, if it wasn't Universal employees from the wardrobe dept.?

There's the very expensive question.

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

fearliath

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on February 28, 2021, 11:13:58 PM

I haven't heard that this issue came up specifically with the Mutant, but because it is an issue with other properties, Uni is taking the "safe" route. I think we may still see masks or other objects that don/t feature the pants. There's another monster who's in the same boat, at east once they took him out of the lagoon, performed surgery on him and dressed him in a burlap sack designed by... who? What a world, huh?

And this is a perfect example of why Disney runs the world and why Universal is destined to the ash heap. Disney would do what it took to be able to continue to license their own properties. It costs money, but in the end, if you know how to market your product competently, it's worth it.  But they don't know how to market their product. Metaluna Mutant is actually becoming quite popular again. Probably more mainstream than it ever was.  Every store has generic Draculas, Frankensteins, Mummy's and "Swamp monsters" based off the Universal versions. And that's because Universal has let that happen over time. Rather than being open to widespread and affordable licensing on everything from Pez to pencils they've made it a niche collector market because the items are so challenging to license and expensive to produce.

You don't walk into a store and see generic versions of Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck for two reasons. (1) Disney does what it takes to keep a firm hold on all the rights. (2) Disney has marketed the properties so well over time that no one wants generic versions. They want Disney Donald Duck, not a duck that looks like Donald Duck but is missing the sailor hat to get around licensing rights.

Mike Scott

Quote from: fearliath on March 01, 2021, 12:09:24 PM
They want Disney Donald Duck, not a duck that looks like Donald Duck

Disney should have sued Aflac for using a sassy duck in their ads!  ;D
CREATURE FAN

Count Zachula

Quote from: fearliath on March 01, 2021, 12:09:24 PM

You don't walk into a store and see generic versions of Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck for two reasons. (1) Disney does what it takes to keep a firm hold on all the rights. (2) Disney has marketed the properties so well over time that no one wants generic versions. They want Disney Donald Duck, not a duck that looks like Donald Duck but is missing the sailor hat to get around licensing rights.

I don't think its fair to compare animated characters to the monsters. You don't have to pay likeness rights for cartoon characters. Disney owns those characters 100%. Every company wants to penny pinch. If Uni doesn't want to pay for an actor's face or in this case a "garment" (?) they won't!

The "generic" problem you speak of with the monsters has always been the actors likenesses.  That's why those Funko Pop's do so well. They're cheap, don't have to pay Robert Downey Jr. if Iron Man is just gonna have two soulless black eyes.

My girlfriend worked for Disney for 9 years.  They're the biggest media company in the world but are SUPER cheap when working on projects.  Its all about saving money to make money.  In the end, Universal doesn't care if you don't get a Metaluna Mutant figure or an accurate Bela Lugosi Dracula.

fearliath

Quote from: Count Zachula on March 01, 2021, 12:34:20 PM
I don't think its fair to compare animated characters to the monsters. You don't have to pay likeness rights for cartoon characters. Disney owns those characters 100%. Every company wants to penny pinch. If Uni doesn't want to pay for an actor's face or in this case a "garment" (?) they won't!

The "generic" problem you speak of with the monsters has always been the actors likenesses.  That's why those Funko Pop's do so well. They're cheap, don't have to pay Robert Downey Jr. if Iron Man is just gonna have two soulless black eyes.

Maybe, but that Avengers and Star Wars merchandise looks an awful lot like the actor in the movie. And even the stuff that doesn't is readily identifiable from the movie and is licensed by Disney. Pez dispensers for example. There are Disney Pez galore from all of their properties. There are Pez of everything. There should be Pez every Halloween of the Universal Monsters. Disney themselves even dress up their characters as rip off Universal Monsters and sell it (neck bolts on Goofy and all).

This is my point. Universal lost complete control of  what very well could be/could have been their most valuable property. The image anyone in the world has of Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, the Mummy, and the "Swamp Creature" is based off of the Universal Monsters. But they get nothing out of it and the vast majority of people don't even recognize Universal as the source material anymore.

VulcansFury

Back on topic, Brian Flynn recently confirmed on FB that UM ReActions wave 3 will come out this year.

Mike Scott

Quote from: VulcansFury on March 12, 2021, 12:29:15 AM
UM ReActions wave 3 will come out this year.

I already got mine, but, yeah for everybody else!  :)
CREATURE FAN

Count Zachula

Quote from: VulcansFury on March 12, 2021, 12:29:15 AM
Back on topic, Brian Flynn recently confirmed on FB that UM ReActions wave 3 will come out this year.

One at a time, I'm guessing.  Though I doubt any of these characters will sell out like the other more popular ones.  Those wishing to save on shipping may be in luck.