Super 7 "Official Universal Monsters Thread"

Started by Remco Wolfman, February 16, 2018, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mord

If they were primitive stick figures, I would have bought them in the 1800s. Progress has made me a bit more selective.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Mord on September 09, 2019, 09:51:38 PM
If they were primitive stick figures, I would have bought them in the 1800s.

Really? They had lots better stuff then. China dolls, rag dolls, wooden toys, bronze copies of sculpture, etc.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mord

Quote from: Mike Scott on September 09, 2019, 10:00:29 PM
Really? They had lots better stuff then. China dolls, rag dolls, wooden toys, bronze copies of sculpture, etc.

I guess it would completely depend on my salary in the 1800s. With my luck, I would have been a blacksmith or stable boy (or, better yet, drunkard).

Mike Scott

Quote from: Mord on September 09, 2019, 10:56:18 PM
With my luck, I would have been a blacksmith or stable boy.

You coulda sculpted toys out of horse crap.
CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on September 09, 2019, 11:34:30 PM
You coulda sculpted toys out of horse crap.

And created "folk art" that would be more sought after than some of the toys being produced today.

Remember, people back then didn't just produce items for fleeting amusement - they made antiques.

ADAM

aura of foreboding

You could always have put your creations in blind boxes!  T'would have been a real treat!

BRICK

While I like the fact that these figures look like toys, I still wish they could have been a little better done. You don't need to have the actor's likeness or be tiny statues to accomplish this. I just wanted them to be a little closer to the quality/detail level of the items that inspired them; that is the Kenner Star Wars figures & the Remco Monster figures of the 70's-80's.
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

LordMudd

Brick, do you have the Remco monsters? I do, and side by side these are better. Not light years better or anything like that, but just better.

CCC.

Anton Phibes

Quote from: LordMudd on September 10, 2019, 08:08:38 AM
Brick, do you have the Remco monsters? I do, and side by side these are better. Not light years better or anything like that, but just better.

CCC.

I have both. I prefer the Remco figures, but the Super7 cards. The Remco cards are just altered photos with typeset . The Remco mini and larger monsters are the only time The Wolfman was the best figure in a series. At least they were to my 10 year old eyes in 1980.

Mord

The Remco figures were much better sculpted. Frank and Mummy looked like Karloff (plus no green coat), Creature didn't look like a blow-up sex doll, and Wolfie (as Anton stated) looked more Wolfie-ish. The perfect solution would be to put the Remco figures on the Super7 cards (easier said than done).

Mike Scott

Quote from: Mord on September 10, 2019, 11:12:34 AM
Creature didn't look like a blow-up sex doll

I don't know what possessed them, back in 1954, to give the Creature big old red "lips" in the posters and other publicity material. It has been a curse on the Gillman ever since!
CREATURE FAN

Mord

Quote from: Mike Scott on September 10, 2019, 11:40:56 AM
I don't know what possessed them, back in 1954, to give the Creature big old red "lips" in the posters and other publicity material. It has been a curse on the Gillman ever since!

It may have to do with the rise of Marilyn Monroe in the fifties. Everything had to have sexy red lips.

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mord on September 10, 2019, 12:05:37 PM
It may have to do with the rise of Marilyn Monroe in the fifties. Everything had to have sexy red lips.

👀
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mike Scott

Quote from: Mord on September 10, 2019, 12:05:37 PM
It may have to do with the rise of Marilyn Monroe in the fifties.

I never thought of that! (And why would I.)
CREATURE FAN

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Mike Scott on September 10, 2019, 12:08:22 PM
I never thought of that! (And why would I.)

Marilyn loved the Creature. Maybe that's why they gave him her lips.