Super 7 "Official Universal Monsters Thread"

Started by Remco Wolfman, February 16, 2018, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearliath

Quote from: BRICK on July 02, 2019, 05:02:05 PM
I have VERY mixed feelings about having Disney acquire the Monsters. On the one hand Disney is a wizard when it comes to marketing and we would definitely see a lot of cool, new products in stores; but I don't know if I could handle a remake of Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein with Phineas and Ferb filling in for Bud and Lou (don't laugh, they did that with the Marvel Superheroes!).

Disney has kept a very boring mouse and his rather uninteresting friends as among the most recognizable media characters in the world for pretty much the same amount of time the Universal Monsters have been around and built a world dominating empire around them without losing the vision and core of who those characters are. If they can do that with Mickey Mouse and crew can you imagine what they could do with intellectual property like Frankenstein, the Mummy, Dracula, Wolfman the Creature and so on? It would be insane, and I think they'd treat them with respect because they have respected their own IP.

They'd have an entire land dedicated to them without a doubt. Can you imagine an entire land with Haunted Mansion quality stuff?

BRICK

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on July 02, 2019, 05:10:50 PM

(Imagine a Pirates of the Caribbean style ride with the Classic Monsters...)

Imagine one? I've actually sketched one out!!! Taking one, chronologically, through the history of Universal Monsters; starting with The Phantom of the Opera and the catacombs of Paris and ending with the Creature from the Black Lagoon! Something like a cross between Pirates of the Carribean, the Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain!!!
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

deadonarrival

fearliath

I bet post Comic Con the secondary market price drops for those Keshi's (but who knows).

The Creature Beach towel on the other hand, I'm not so sure:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-7-UNIVERSAL-MONSTERS-BEACH-TOWEL-30-60-INCHES-SDCC-2019-BOODEGA-POP-UP/392325906424?hash=item5b58723ff8:g:0IQAAOSwsbVdGuut

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: fearliath on July 02, 2019, 07:28:22 PM
I bet post Comic Con the secondary market price drops for those Keshi's (but who knows).

The Creature Beach towel on the other hand, I'm not so sure:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-7-UNIVERSAL-MONSTERS-BEACH-TOWEL-30-60-INCHES-SDCC-2019-BOODEGA-POP-UP/392325906424?hash=item5b58723ff8:g:0IQAAOSwsbVdGuut

$140 bucks and one already sold.
ADAM

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on July 02, 2019, 07:50:14 PM
$140 bucks and one already sold.

Damn!!!  Seriously, who's going to SDCC, or lives in SD?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Anton Phibes

deadonarrival

$140 is 4 times the retail price. That keshi 6 pack is $3 shy of 5 times retail. Extra ouch.
The thing with some of the items is cross interest. That towel appeals to monster collectors pretty much exclusively. The keshi pack appeals to monster collectors (except Mord :) ), collectors of halloween rack toy novelties and the large community of minifigure collectors. A group that has members who have many times paid in the vacinity of a grand for a single M.U.S.C.L.E. figure (i know, crazy).

Its gonna be interesting to see what sells out and what sits around.

aura of foreboding

marsattacks666

It seem most collectible prices are driven-up and out-of-control these days. Was there a limited run on the beach towel? Or did I miss something.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mike Scott

Quote from: marsattacks666 on July 02, 2019, 10:44:24 PM
Was there a limited run on the beach towel?

It's hard to tell which of these things are SDCC only, and which will be available from other vendors (MIM, EE, etc.) The buckets, masks and glasses are available elsewhere, but I don't see anybody taking pre-orders for the towels, or puzzles.
CREATURE FAN

fearliath

Quote from: Mike Scott on July 03, 2019, 10:00:49 AM
It's hard to tell which of these things are SDCC only, and which will be available from other vendors (MIM, EE, etc.) The buckets, masks and glasses are available elsewhere, but I don't see anybody taking pre-orders for the towels, or puzzles.

Most of the stuff (with the exception of the things you mentioned) is limited run to stir up excitement for the SDCC event itself. I've heard Super 7 people talk about these exclusives and their logic in doing them. It basically comes down to "that would be cool, let's make a few". I don't believe there is a ton of market research going into it and it isn't intended to sell a million of these exclusives. It's just an eclectic mix of fun items for a single event to get some buzz going. Same concept as giving Ozzie Smith bobble heads to the first thousand fans to arrive at a Cardinals game.

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on July 03, 2019, 11:25:46 AM
That's the part I hate!  ;D 

Who cares what YOU like?  You are only a potential customer.

Marketing genius.
ADAM