Super 7 "Official Universal Monsters Thread"

Started by Remco Wolfman, February 16, 2018, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on June 29, 2019, 11:17:52 PM
There's some garage kits out there. (Do you have any, Adam?)

I have one - unbuilt.

I was thinking about small building from train sets.  They have the farm houses, windmills and tiny people.

Or build, from scratch,  the Universal Courthouse Square street where the geologist's office sits - and have the monoliths towering menacingly in the background...

Stick a lizard in there and you got Giant Gila Monster - Or, an out of scale doll and it's Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman - Or just make it a home for your pet Tarantula...   etc., etc., etc....

I suppose you'd fill it with water.
ADAM

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on June 30, 2019, 12:05:29 AM
Or build, from scratch,  the Universal Courthouse Square street where the geologist's office sits - and have the monoliths towering menacingly in the background...

Neat idea! 1950s Courthouse Square With all the monsters, etc. that were filmed in and around there populating the diorama!

Maybe a Bronson Caves dio with all the things and people from those movies!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: BRICK on June 29, 2019, 03:19:00 PM
     Mike, thanks for the pricing information, as well as selling your extra box-o-monsters minis to UMA members; but I think that this is a good time to again bring up this topic: have you, or anyone in the group, considered setting up an aggregate buying circle at the UMA for this type of merchandise? Basically, it works the opposite of an Ebay auction, instead of a bunch of people driving the price of an item up, they band together to purchase things bulk quantities at a wholesale discount, and everyone saves money.

I'm not sure what Super 7's wholesale policies are or how much would need to be ordered to start getting a discount,  but I would think that they would be eager to reach their target customers. Just a suggestion, but perhaps the UMA could reach out and offer Super 7 (or such companies as DST, Monsterville, etc.) their own dedicated thread, where they could showcase their products & prototypes, gauge interest, and determine price points; in exchange for being able to order from them in bulk. Perhaps they could even manage this type buyers circle, themselves.

Even if they don't, I realize that this idea could entail considerable additional logistics, work and shipping costs, but I think this would be a tremendous benefit/incentive to get more participation and new membership in the UMA, as it would be the only place on the web were collectors could get these items for below retail. I know that there are a lot of Super 7 items I'm on the fence about, but I would be more apt to buy if the prices were just a bit more reasonable.

Perhaps this idea is just a dream; but, dammit, it's a GOOD dream!

Brick,

Not to dash your hopes, but most wholesalers discourage or even outright work against buyer's clubs (the common name for what you're suggesting). They do so to protect their retail partners - the entities that order in quantities that are of signifigant number to be a vauable percentage of business, and to protect their retail prices, which aren't arbitrary. Working against the retail price of their own product is bad business.

Beyond that, this isn't a forum that's very helpful to the industry. It's trypically outright hostile in multiple fashions, which has greatly reduced participation of those disintersted in hostility, and sadly and solidly earned the board a poor reputation for focused and civil discussion.

While there are forums where cogent and constructive discussions take place about these things with decisionmakers - manufacture's own web forms, fb pages, instagram feeds - the UMA isn't one. I encorage you to check those venues out and add your thoughts to the discourse. If you've got greater interest, Brick, please feel free to message me.

And hey, look, that Super7 stuff isn't so expensive after all! Or maybe it's too expensive, or maybe it's not on model enough, or not cool enough, or too cool, or what have ya.

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Mord

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on June 30, 2019, 02:30:43 PM
Too busy vomiting it out?

;)
Vomit is better than the s**t they're putting out. I'm so sick of industry insiders being offended by criticism.  You guys are as thin-skinned and prissy as a Trump. So they don't pay attention to UMA? Funny, that's exactly what I do with their dollar gas station junk toys, ( ignore them). Aside from me, everybody here is incredibly nice and civil. I hope the whole smelly line fails.

fearliath

To each their own. I'd like to make a request that everyone stop peeing in this communal Count Chocula bowl we have here. Speaking of which I am insanely hungry and I would destroy an entire family size box of Count Chocula if I had it. Maybe even Booberry. I only have Cheerios and they're not doing it.

deadonarrival

Quote from: fearliath on June 30, 2019, 03:13:56 PM
To each their own. I'd like to make a request that everyone stop peeing in this communal Count Chocula bowl we have here. Speaking of which I am insanely hungry and I would destroy an entire family size box of Count Chocula if I had it. Maybe even Booberry. I only have Cheerios and they're not doing it.

I'm with you on a lack of monster cereal. :(

Mike Scott

Quote from: Mord on June 30, 2019, 02:52:30 PM
Vomit is better than the s**t they're putting out.

So, what is it you do want? $1,000 Sideshow busts? Well, me too, but I can't afford them.  ;D

What's wrong with the Creature towel, or the puzzle, or the 3.75 carded figures, or the buckets? The '60s and '70s versions are highly collectible! Is it because these are copies?
CREATURE FAN

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Mord on June 30, 2019, 02:52:30 PM
Vomit is better than the s**t they're putting out. I'm so sick of industry insiders being offended by criticism.  You guys are as thin-skinned and prissy as a Trump. So they don't pay attention to UMA? Funny, that's exactly what I do with their dollar gas station junk toys, ( ignore them). Aside from me, everybody here is incredibly nice and civil. I hope the whole smelly line fails.

Mord, I know you are less than impressed. That being said, Ed Repka's artwork is breath taking I am buying whatever I do purchase solely for that reason. One day I may have agrand kid. I am stockpiling for them. I hoenstly couldn't care less about Keshis and stuff like that. But kids will like them. If  kids don't get into this stuff, Universal Monsters will eventually fall under the classification of Roy Rogers, Gabby Hayes, The Shadow, etc. Remembered only by a small handful as "something that was". I have a room full of quality high end stuff. It's ok to have a little bit of cheaper stuff. I do agree about the overly sensitive state of, well....nearly everyone nowadays. Sensitive little flowers are constantly in bloom it seems.

Mord

Quote from: Mike Scott on June 30, 2019, 03:23:41 PM
So, what is it you do want? $1,000 Sideshow busts? Well, me too, but I can't afford them.  ;D

What's wrong with the Creature towel, or the puzzle, or the 3.75 carded figures, or the buckets? The '60s and '70s versions are highly collectible! Is it because these are copies?
They could have done a better job on the art (it's a tad "child's coloring book" for me). Remember, I was responding to that arrogant, condescending clown and his insult to US. We are the people who THEY are trying to win over. It's OUR dollars they want. No, I don't want a thousand dollar bust, but I would love affordable quality figures (like Sideshow's or the last few DST ones). You may be ok with this jackass dismissing us like peasants, but I'm more of a fighter. And, yes, more monster breakfast cereal is always a good thing (piss or no piss). Don't worry, I won't post in the Super7 section anymore. They can keep their sh*tty junk toys. They've had enough time to get it right.

aura of foreboding

Dudes...

I think we can all agree the Super 7 stuff has something for 75% of UM collectors.  Is it Sideshow 8" quality?  No.  Do I prefer it to Sideshow Little Big Heads?  Yes.  Would I like NECA to create a new line of Universal Monster super-realistic figures?  Yes.  Am I happy I am getting 3.75 monsters from Super 7?  Absolutely.  Am I happy I am getting Soakies and masks?  You bet! 

I get that the UMA has some strong personalities, but I think it's disingenuous to say it's so vitriolic that it should be ignored.  That is true of other places online, but I think the UMA is pretty civil overall.  I think it's silly if manufacturers ignore a group of dedicated collectors because they may face some criticism.  As we have seen in this thread, there are plenty of voices here on both sides.  Adam wants to know who would buy a blue Wolf Man.  I would buy a blue Wolf Man.  Mord doesn't care for "stylized," but there are a lot of people who do.  Mord appreciates ultra-realistic, high-quality monsters.  It's his thing.  Mike buys Creature.  Adam buys Frankenstein.  I buy whatever I like.  I appreciate Super 7 doing the monsters, like I appreciated DST doing the monsters.  Was I happy about DST's inclusion of other characters in the TRU assortment?  No.  Did I buy what I liked and supported the line?  Yes.  Did others here?  Yes.  Was I thrilled with Mego's Dracula?  Completely.  Was I unhappy with some of their other monsters?  Yes.  I still bought them, because I wanted to see more. 

In the end, companies should want people to buy their products.  Companies should also make products collectors want to buy.  It's a two-way street, and I think they should give the UMA a second look.   

fearliath

Quote from: Mord on June 30, 2019, 04:01:05 PM
And, yes, more monster breakfast cereal is always a good thing (piss or no piss).

One qualifier. You won't much notice it with Count Chocula but if you down a full box of Booberry or Frankenberry in a sitting you may be alarmed if you glance down before flushing the next day. It turns it radioactive pink or smurf blue. You think you're hallucinating until you recall your eating habits from the prior day. Never tried it with urine so I can't comment on any effect that may have.

Mike Scott

I like all different kinds of stuff (Creatures), from the ultra realistic, to the cheezie little blobs of plastic. I like variety! I don't want all Sideshow figures.
CREATURE FAN

fearliath

Quote from: Anton Phibes on June 30, 2019, 03:55:47 PM
One day I may have agrand kid. I am stockpiling for them. I hoenstly couldn't care less about Keshis and stuff like that. But kids will like them. If  kids don't get into this stuff, Universal Monsters will eventually fall under the classification of Roy Rogers, Gabby Hayes, The Shadow, etc. Remembered only by a small handful as "something that was"

I actually buy almost everything I buy from Super 7 for my son. He actually plays with it. I actually buy multiples on the 3.75" figures because who knows the next time they'll come around. Came in handy this past May when he took his Creature action figure to school for show and tell. The bag he carried it in had a hole in it and it fell out on the grass somewhere walking home from school. He searched for hours to find it but no luck. Little monster kid devastation.

Fortunately for him I had two more tucked away and one magically appeared on his shelf the next morning.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on June 30, 2019, 09:59:39 AM
...   this isn't a forum that's very helpful to the industry. It's trypically outright hostile in multiple fashions, which has greatly reduced participation of those disintersted in hostility, and sadly and solidly earned the board a poor reputation for focused and civil discussion.

While there are forums where cogent and constructive discussions take place about these things with decisionmakers - manufacture's own web forms, fb pages, instagram feeds - the UMA isn't one. I encorage you to check those venues out and add your thoughts to the discourse. If you've got greater interest, Brick, please feel free to message me.

And hey, look, that Super7 stuff isn't so expensive after all! Or maybe it's too expensive, or maybe it's not on model enough, or not cool enough, or too cool?, or what have ya.  ... 

"I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords."

ADAM

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Mike Scott on June 30, 2019, 05:30:06 PM
I like all different kinds of stuff (Creatures), from the ultra realistic, to the cheezie little blobs of plastic. I like variety! I don't want all Sideshow figures.

There has been some really offensive Universal Monster merchandise made over the years.  This Super 7 stuff isn't it. 

I really think Sideshow will forever go down as the company that set the bar too high... unless Neca gets it together.   ;) 

I know the fans of the ultra-realistic toys would be a lot happier with Super 7 if it were offering some of those in addition to all of the other stuff.  I don't think they have the license nor do I think they want that license, but I know it would certainly strike a happy medium. 

I'm remembering some of the generic monster stuff Sideshow released.  Gah!  Awful.  Do we remember that?  No.  We remember the 8" and 12".  Hopefully Super 7 releases some products that are so memorable we look back on them fondly in ten years as well.