Super 7 "Official Universal Monsters Thread"

Started by Remco Wolfman, February 16, 2018, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VulcansFury

Quote from: fearliath on June 26, 2019, 01:10:20 PM
Leaving the shade aside and walking into the sun...

Like my monsters, I prefer to lurk in the dark

TheMadScientist

I'll try to get the GPK set if it becomes available, and maybe the coloring book, but I'll probably save most of my money for the reaction figures and other products I assume they'll release in the Fall (plus the Funko Mystery Minis and Horrified board game). I'd like the glasses, but I'm not really a fan of that artwork. Maybe if there was a Dracula in the set. It does feel like we're getting more Universal Monsters merch this fall than we have in recent memory, so I'm pretty pumped for that, even if I don't like all of the designs.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on June 26, 2019, 05:31:53 PM
Even if shipping is free, with local tax that is half a hundred for 4 glasses.

Doesn't seem so bad when you're only buying one of them.  :)
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mike Scott

Quote from: TheMadScientist on June 26, 2019, 07:06:19 PM
I'd like the glasses, but I'm not really a fan of that artwork.

It's a little cartoony. Needs a "background", like the Anchor Hocking glasses.
CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on June 26, 2019, 07:21:33 PM
It's a little cartoony. Needs a "background", like the Anchor Hocking glasses.

They do have a faint background.  Maybe it would stand out (or disappear) depending on the color of the liquid you are drinking.
ADAM

aura of foreboding

I was really hoping for something a little more elaborate from the glass artwork, myself.  It's not bad by any means.  It's just not as cool as the originals. 

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: aura of foreboding on June 26, 2019, 07:55:24 PM
I was really hoping for something a little more elaborate from the glass artwork, myself.  It's not bad by any means.  It's just not as cool as the originals.

Do they look $50 good to you?
ADAM

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on June 26, 2019, 07:59:01 PM
Do they look $50 good to you?

Honestly, they remind me of the jelly jar artwork, so, no, and I will probably pass on them.  But I am not passing on the blue Wolf Man mask!   ;D

aura of foreboding

If I did buy one, it would be Creech.  For some reason, it reminds me of the Bama/Aurora Creature, not nearly as elaborate, but still kinda like it. 

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: aura of foreboding on June 26, 2019, 09:13:58 PM
... they remind me of the jelly jar artwork... 

THAT'S what they remind me of!  I couldn't put my finger on it.
ADAM

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on June 26, 2019, 09:18:08 PM
THAT'S what they remind me of!  I couldn't put my finger on it.

Yeah.  Probably what they were going for.  Should've shot for the gas station art. 

deadonarrival

I was just thinking the same while others were posting...
I dont dislike the art on the glasses. They feel like scooby doo monsters and there's nothing wrong with that.
If I walked into the grocery store and saw jars of jelly that were in those exact glasses priced about the same as comparable jars of jelly, I would collect the whole set and feel good about doing it and genuinely enjoy having them. No scalpers, no shipping cost, no feelings of being manipulated by contrived overpriced hipster product.

I dont hate all that super7 does, i just wish we had better alternatives sometimes.

BRICK

The set of Universal Monster glasses that Spencer Gifts offered was better (and cheaper). These glasses look like something that White Castle would offer as a giveaway (that is, a couple notches below the quality of Burger King). They aren't really all that great, nor are they all that novel.
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Monsters For Sale

I think the glasses are fine, for what they are.

I just think the price point is a bit much.  With the exception of the Creature glass - but then only because Creech merchandise is so scarce and much sought after.
ADAM

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on June 26, 2019, 07:48:04 PM
They do have a faint background. 

A little too faint. And the AH picture wrapped all the way around the glass.
CREATURE FAN