Super 7 "Official Universal Monsters Thread"

Started by Remco Wolfman, February 16, 2018, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horrorhunter

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on September 25, 2018, 01:53:05 AM
I wanted to like their stuff, I really did.  I'm disappointed by what they are making - so far.

I was bummed that Monsterville shot their wad over Halloween last year.  I was hoping for something else from them over Christmas and again this Halloween. 

I wonder if they had a short term licensing contract or if they didn't sell well.  It's hard to judge by this crowd.  We were all worked up about getting attractive product, but they may have bombed with the general public.
I very much agree.

The Monsterville stuff was great for 3 reasons:
1- Most of it looks (and sounds) good.
2- It was reasonably priced.
3- Most of it was easily attainable by simply driving to Target. The only thing I had to order from an eBay seller was the Creature Screamer. There were no limited editions to have to track down by going across country to a con or having to pay some scalper stupid $$$. And, no crazy shipping charges to jack up prices even more.

Yeah, we are far removed from the general public, and that divide seems to grow with each passing year.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

LordMudd

Quote from: horrorhunter on September 24, 2018, 06:26:32 PM
It makes you wonder why these damn companies don't get a clue about the everlasting popularity of something like that iconic Glenn Strange Frankenstein Candy Bucket by Clinton from the '60s. Those things sell for stupid money these days. If they're shelling out for licensing anyway they could give us a more realistic CFTBL bucket. The more realistic sculpt wouldn't hurt sales to the younger fans- they probably wouldn't care, or would think it's even cooler. And, veteran monster collectors would have something nice to add to the collection instead of the "it's alright I guess" opinion that most of seem to have about it. Or the "I hate the crap out of it" that you and a few others have expressed (and I defend your right to that opinion, big time).

I like some stylized toys, especially older stuff like Nutty Mads, Palmers, or MPC Monsters, but I don't understand this obsession with turboeffin' cute these days with toys. (POP! *cough*)  ::)

I'm trying to avoid snark, and especially outright venom, these days when I post. But, I'm just a little p*issed that we finally get a Creature bucket and it's all cutesied up. I'll still buy the thing at $20 because I'm partial to the CFTBL and it's the first Creature candy bucket, but it's unfortunate that they blew the chance to make something exceptional and cranked out yet another addition to the cutesy crapola that everyone has to do these days.

Not a bucket fan but as a figure customizer I would suggest that you get 2, 1 original to keep and 1 to repaint as it should be.

CCC

LordMudd

UPDATE: Amok Time has sent me an email to let me know that something to tide me over is in the mail.

;)

CCC.

horrorhunter

Quote from: LordMudd on September 25, 2018, 03:01:26 PM
Not a bucket fan but as a figure customizer I would suggest that you get 2, 1 original to keep and 1 to repaint as it should be.

CCC
A repaint would help, but the shape and sculpt limit improvement potential.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

TheMadScientist

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on September 24, 2018, 10:55:45 PM
The fact that we are expected to jump through hoops to find this stuff doesn't make me want to support the Super7 line.

It baffles me that some collectors think we should be grateful for having anything at all to buy - even product like this with service like this.

I'm new here (I've been a lurker for awhile), so I imagine my opinion doesn't count for much, but I'm not sure what exactly you are expecting from Super 7 that they aren't delivering on. I get not liking the products they've announced, but just reading some of your replies here, you seem slightly angry at them as a company. I've emailed them a few times, and they've said that the Universal Monsters stuff will be out in October. So I don't expect their stuff to be released online until then.

Lets be real, outside of some hardcore fans and collectors, I don't know how jazzed the average consumer gets over new Universal Monsters merchandise. At this point I am just happy to have a company making Universal Monsters merchandise, especially since they seem to really care about and be excited about having it as a license. If they have stuff I like, awesome I'll buy it. If I don't like it, not a problem. At least that's my view.

Mike Scott

Quote from: TheMadScientist on September 25, 2018, 07:56:05 PM
I'm new here (I've been a lurker for awhile), so I imagine my opinion doesn't count for much.

And don't you forget it, newbie!! Just kiddin'! Everyone is equal in the eyes of the UMA!

I agree with you. I'm happy to be getting some new Creature stuff!  :)
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Monsters For Sale

I'm new here (I've been a lurker for awhile), so I imagine my opinion doesn't count for much, ... 

Well, of course not.  Only as much as anybody else's here.

And not one bit more!

(Welcome, New Blood.)
ADAM

LordMudd

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on September 25, 2018, 09:06:44 PM
Well, of course not.  Just as much as anybody else's here.

And not one bit more!

(Welcome, New Blood.)

Your opinion doesn't' count, my opinion doesn't count, NOBODY'S FRIGGIN OPINION COUNTS ANYMORE! What is this world coming to?

CCC.

Mord

Lets be real, outside of some hardcore fans and collectors, I don't know how jazzed the average consumer gets over new Universal Monsters merchandise.
Exactly! So why alienate an already small collector base by putting out product that puts most off. All we're saying is, listen to your customers. You might be rewarded with actual sales.

Btw, welcome to the UMA.

horrorhunter

Lets be real, outside of some hardcore fans and collectors, I don't know how jazzed the average consumer gets over new Universal Monsters merchandise. At this point I am just happy to have a company making Universal Monsters merchandise, especially since they seem to really care about and be excited about having it as a license. If they have stuff I like, awesome I'll buy it. If I don't like it, not a problem. At least that's my view.
I know you addressed this comment to MFS and I'm not trying to speak for him or anyone else here, but I would like to respond to it.

Some opinions are taken as "anger" but I think concern and frustration are probably more accurate. Not much classic monster merch gets made anymore, as you implied. It's like having a limited number of swings before you strike out. We just want someone to hit that home run before the game is over. It's true that we all prefer different aesthetics concerning monster items, but many of us here have expressed a common desire to see more screen-accurate looking product. Most of us are just tired of the relentless cute stylized designs when something does finally make it's way to market. I agree in that I'm really glad someone takes it on themselves to make UniMon stuff. I just wish it would look more like the Universal Monsters and less like someone's version of stylized Universal Monsters. We really care about this stuff or we wouldn't be critical in the first place.

Welcome to UMA, TheMadScientist.  :)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mike Scott

Quote from: horrorhunter on September 25, 2018, 10:24:13 PM
. . but many of us here have expressed a common desire to see more screen-accurate looking product.

What you need is a good dose of "garage kit"! They've got everything you're looking for.  :)
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

deadonarrival

I actually prefer my halloween items to look this way. Knowing it pisses off certain people is just icing on the cake. Lol!

StyreneDude

Universal and most of the companies that make new monster merchandise just don't get it.

They repeatedly engage in a wasted effort to modernize/update/reinvent the characters to appeal to a market that doesn't exist instead of making product to please the market they ALREADY HAVE. What happens then? They make product that appeals to NO ONE, then blame lack of interest on the property instead of the execution.

Not that difficult to figure out is it?

I definitely won't be getting the Halloween buckets. They have zero appeal to me. If actor's likenesses are the issue, they could have made cheap, vintage style blow molded buckets of the Creature, the Mole People, and the Metaluna Mutant, and I GUARANTEE monster fans would have gone NUTS for them.

BRICK

I don't know how jazzed the average consumer gets over new Universal Monsters merchandise.

How jazzed does the average consumer get over a Mego Alice from the Brady Bunch figure? Or Norm from Cheers?
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

horrorhunter

Quote from: Mike Scott on September 25, 2018, 11:24:44 PM
What you need is a good dose of "garage kit"! They've got everything you're looking for.  :)
Garage kits are a separate issue. I was referring to different types of collectibles, specifically the candy buckets. And, I'm not advocating screen-accuracy with no stylization. I'd like to see something along the lines of the Glenn Strange Candy Bucket from the '60s done for the Creature bucket instead of the same anime inspired cute product most companies turn out today. The reason I stated "screen-accurate" is because "realistic" sounds a little strange for something that wasn't real to start with- monsters.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...