Super 7 "Official Universal Monsters Thread"

Started by Remco Wolfman, February 16, 2018, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Pertwee

I just saw a Jack O Lantern bucket at Target for $6 that was the size of a beach ball, so selling these for $20 or $60 is crazy.

aura of foreboding

Quote from: John Pertwee on September 23, 2018, 04:09:06 PM
I just saw a Jack O Lantern bucket at Target for $6 that was the size of a beach ball, so selling these for $20 or $60 is crazy.

What exorbitant license fee did Target pay the jack-o'-lantern farm for the right to use its likeness?  That's really where the money goes.  But, yes, 60 bucks is ridiculous.  Don't pay that. 

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: John Pertwee on September 23, 2018, 04:09:06 PM

Exactly how tall are the Super7 buckets, anyway?

Oh, that information must be in their wonderfully informative catalog that has all product dimensions, official release dates, exact prices/shipping costs and order forms.

Wait, careless me, I must have misplaced mine.  Would one of you look in yours and tell us?
ADAM

Ugly_Thing

I want to like these treat buckets, but they're just too cartoony/'stylized' for me.  Creature, in particular, looks a bit too squat. 

At $6 each, though, I'd likely grab a set or two. 

Wicked Lester

That REALLY sucks. IMO these were the GREATEST Uni Monsters available for EV-Ver. I would have paid like $16.00-$20.00 for these. u6juu

horrorhunter

Quote from: Wicked Lester on September 23, 2018, 03:47:48 PM
I was really and I mean REALLY looking forward to these. Can someone refresh my memory on why these got crapped out?
Here's a link to a post in another thread with info that zombiehorror dug up: http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=32896.msg552514#msg552514

Apparently the Uni licensing department dragged their feet so long on final approval for the lunchbox and the playset ("army men") figures that the deal never materialized. Some folks claimed that the orders weren't high enough to warrant production but evidently the items couldn't be ordered because Uni never gave final approval for the designs.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: horrorhunter on September 23, 2018, 07:53:40 PM
Here's a link to a post in another thread with info that zombiehorror dug up: http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=32896.msg552514#msg552514

Apparently the Uni licensing department dragged their feet so long on final approval for the lunchbox and the playset ("army men") figures that the deal never materialized. Some folks claimed that the orders weren't high enough to warrant production but evidently the items couldn't be ordered because Uni never gave final approval for the designs.

Really sucks.  I would have bought them all - then traded away all but the Franks and the angry villagers.

Nice little toys. 
ADAM

Mord

Quote from: Ugly_Thing on September 23, 2018, 04:32:59 PM
I want to like these treat buckets, but they're just too cartoony/'stylized' for me.  Creature, in particular, looks a bit too squat. 

At $6 each, though, I'd likely grab a set or two.

Same here. I would pass on these even at $6. I just don't like the aesthetics. I wouldn't even want to have these on display (too stylized...dont like cute monsters). If the Creature looked like the Monsterville mask, I would buy it. It would still look like a toy, but not some silly anime rejects.

horrorhunter

Quote from: Mord on September 24, 2018, 02:25:21 PM
Same here. I would pass on these even at $6. I just don't like the aesthetics. I wouldn't even want to have these on display (too stylized...dont like cute monsters). If the Creature looked like the Monsterville mask, I would buy it. It would still look like a toy, but not some silly anime rejects.
It makes you wonder why these damn companies don't get a clue about the everlasting popularity of something like that iconic Glenn Strange Frankenstein Candy Bucket by Clinton from the '60s. Those things sell for stupid money these days. If they're shelling out for licensing anyway they could give us a more realistic CFTBL bucket. The more realistic sculpt wouldn't hurt sales to the younger fans- they probably wouldn't care, or would think it's even cooler. And, veteran monster collectors would have something nice to add to the collection instead of the "it's alright I guess" opinion that most of seem to have about it. Or the "I hate the crap out of it" that you and a few others have expressed (and I defend your right to that opinion, big time).

I like some stylized toys, especially older stuff like Nutty Mads, Palmers, or MPC Monsters, but I don't understand this obsession with turboeffin' cute these days with toys. (POP! *cough*)  ::)

I'm trying to avoid snark, and especially outright venom, these days when I post. But, I'm just a little p*issed that we finally get a Creature bucket and it's all cutesied up. I'll still buy the thing at $20 because I'm partial to the CFTBL and it's the first Creature candy bucket, but it's unfortunate that they blew the chance to make something exceptional and cranked out yet another addition to the cutesy crapola that everyone has to do these days.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

BRICK

Personally, I think those buckets look like they belong on the top of a Funko Pop figure.
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

horrorhunter

Quote from: BRICK on September 24, 2018, 08:12:59 PM
Personally, I think those buckets look like they belong on the top of a Funko Pop figure.
Yeah...I'm close to talking myself out of getting one. I just wanted it to be great, or even good...but it really isn't.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Anton Phibes

I am only interested in Super 7's figures. Unless they do those glasses and puzzles. No soapies, no buckets. I would buy accurate buckets. The stylized thingies are for the birds. :angel:

Monsters For Sale

I'll probably get a Frankenstein Bucket, even though I wish it was better.  As I stated before, I am pretty undemanding on Halloween decorations.  If they do a nice Frankenstein Soaky-style bottle I'd like one of those.

I think the sculpts on some of the 4¾" are OK, but I doubt I will buy any.  I try to concentrate on one monster.

But, I won't be buying any of the other cutesy stuff they are making.  Don't care for it, and if I did, I think it is over priced.  The fact that we are expected to jump through hoops to find this stuff doesn't make me want to support the Super7 line.

It baffles me that some collectors think we should be grateful for having anything at all to buy - even product like this with service like this.

Call me an old grump, if you like.  I'm saving money this Halloween.

ADAM

aura of foreboding

I want all the figures, and I want to get plastic play sets.  I want the puzzles and glasses.  I want the paper people, in particular, but I don't like the price.  I want the Soakies.  There isn't a lot I don't want, but the buckets are definitely at the bottom of the list.  Am I thrilled the first thing we are getting is this Creature bucket?  No.  Like you all, I'd have preferred a legit likeness.  The Frank bucket has a big Frankie vibe to it, which makes me like it more.  Still, I'd rather have gotten the other stuff first.   

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: aura of foreboding on September 25, 2018, 12:29:09 AM
..  There isn't a lot I don't want, ...

I wanted to like their stuff, I really did.  I'm disappointed by what they are making - so far.

I was bummed that Monsterville shot their wad over Halloween last year.  I was hoping for something else from them over Christmas and again this Halloween. 

I wonder if they had a short term licensing contract or if they didn't sell well.  It's hard to judge by this crowd.  We were all worked up about getting attractive product, but they may have bombed with the general public.
ADAM