Super 7 "Official Universal Monsters Thread"

Started by Remco Wolfman, February 16, 2018, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonsterBaker666

Quote from: Count Zachula on March 12, 2021, 12:33:44 PM
One at a time, I'm guessing.  Though I doubt any of these characters will sell out like the other more popular ones.  Those wishing to save on shipping may be in luck.

Not necessarily.  They likely did The Creature Walks Among Us first for several reasons - Completists would want it since they already have The Creature And Revenge Of The Creature figures, plus they released the color Penn Plax figure (and the recent B&W Penn Plax figure).  Also Wave 3 was announce right around the time Covid hit - that delayed a lot of stuff, not just these figures. 

The others might come out all together for the completists (the ones who want them all, as appoosed to the one who only like Frankenstein, Or The Wolf Man, etc).  There likely aren't as many people who are fans of The Werewolf Of London as their are Frankenstein fans. 

Yes, there are fans of these figures and the characters, but each one has their own set of fans.  Me...I want them all, but I'm not a big fan of The Mole People, so if my money were tight I would have definitely skipped that one. 

So I'm looking forward to any new figures, but I have a feeling this might be it and these could be the last of the Waves. 

Count Zachula

Quote from: MonsterBaker666 on March 12, 2021, 01:44:17 PM
Not necessarily.  They likely did The Creature Walks Among Us first for several reasons - Completists would want it since they already have The Creature And Revenge Of The Creature figures, plus they released the color Penn Plax figure (and the recent B&W Penn Plax figure).  Also Wave 3 was announce right around the time Covid hit - that delayed a lot of stuff, not just these figures. 

That doesn't really make sense to me. Why would they release just one figure from the set and then all of them. Even for completists.  You can argue the Frankenstein completists would want Son of Frank and Ygor.  Why not release those separately? 
Probably more of a COVID thing, maybe the Creature Walks was the only figure approved and had to wait on the rest?

Mike Scott

Welcome to the UMA, MonsterBaker666  :)

Quote from: MonsterBaker666 on March 12, 2021, 01:44:17 PM
I want them all, but I'm not a big fan of The Mole People

I thought they already did a Mole People?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

aura of foreboding

My guess:  They had to push out the CWAU figure because of the wardrobe lawsuit or question, whatever it is.  If they didn't get it into production, Uni probably would have pulled the plug.

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Count Zachula on March 12, 2021, 02:26:44 PM
That doesn't really make sense to me. Why would they release just one figure from the set and then all of them. Even for completists.  You can argue the Frankenstein completists would want Son of Frank and Ygor.  Why not release those separately? 
Probably more of a COVID thing, maybe the Creature Walks was the only figure approved and had to wait on the rest?

If you read between the lines that Shannon mentioned (darkmonkeygod), the decision to release CWAU, before all the others, was quite possibly due to the potential of it not being released at all. Because of his sail cloth outfit. Like Mutant's pants. Ridiculous I know, but that's what I gleaned from it.  :angel:

Anton Phibes

Quote from: aura of foreboding on March 12, 2021, 10:45:42 PM
My guess:  They had to push out the CWAU figure because of the wardrobe lawsuit or question, whatever it is.  If they didn't get it into production, Uni probably would have pulled the plug.

Ha! I literally typed something quite similar to your deduction. I agree!

MonsterBaker666

I don't understand this whole "clothing" issue.  Is this info coming directly from someone in the know at Universal?  Or is it just speculation? 

It doesn't quite sound right to me...the pants of the Metaluna Monster is somehow a problem - is someone other than Universal claiming they own the rights to those pants?  Same thing with a sailcloth suit made for The Creature in Creature Walks Among Us.  Did the costume department go to The Big And Tall Store in the 50s and buy those Metaluna pants and the sailcloth suit?  "Yes, gentlemen, we have just what you're looking for...this sailcloth suit is for someone 7 feet tall with a giant barrel chest with arms the diameter of watermelons.  And check out these silver pants that blend right into the ankles with no visible seams.  Yes, you can use them, but just remember, we retain the rights to them..."

And in this tiny action figure, the pants on the Mutant look like any old pair of pants.

If that's the case, better watch out for future lawsuits - The Frankenstein monsters suit (good gosh, is that why they changed the color of the jacket from black to green??!!), Dracula's tuxedo, The Werewolf Of London's smoking jacket, The Invisible Man's pajamas and bathrobe, Ygor's blacksmith's smock, and those Ace bandages on the arms of the Bride Of Frankenstein.  Even The Wolf Man's baggy pants! 

Anton Phibes

Quote from: MonsterBaker666 on March 13, 2021, 04:20:42 PM
I don't understand this whole "clothing" issue.  Is this info coming directly from someone in the know at Universal?

It isn't speculation. Re:

About a year or so back, The Metaluna Mutant fell into a question of ownership over costume design and ceased being an official Universal Monster. While he's still associated with the classic lineup, any merchandising featuring Metaluna cannot reflect the Universal Studios Monsters brand.

This same issue has been applied to The Creature Walks Among Us. That's why his figure release was pushed through. It would be fiscally disadvantageous to sculpt, tool, and make cards for a figure....and then be told 'No soup for you!". So they got him out.

This is from people in the know. It isn't speculation. It's silly....but there it is.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Anton Phibes on March 13, 2021, 04:43:05 PM
This is from people in the know. It isn't speculation.

But it still doesn't answer the question "Who owns the pants?"
CREATURE FAN

Count Zachula

Dang! So you think we won't end up seeing Creature Walks or Metaluna in the up and coming NECA line?
That'd sure be a shame. 

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Count Zachula on March 13, 2021, 07:45:25 PM
Dang! So you think we won't end up seeing Creature Walks or Metaluna in the up and coming NECA line?
That'd sure be a shame.

I doubt NECA will go that deep....but we can hope.

aura of foreboding

Quote from: MonsterBaker666 on March 13, 2021, 04:20:42 PM
I don't understand this whole "clothing" issue.  Is this info coming directly from someone in the know at Universal?  Or is it just speculation? 

Do you honestly believe someone would actually SPECULATE about something so absurd?  That's not even rational.  It's so nonsensical, it just has to be true... especially concerning Universal.

And, yes, we have a few very good sources around here.   ;)

Mike Scott

Quote from: aura of foreboding on March 14, 2021, 04:16:37 AM
And, yes, we have a few very good sources around here.   ;)

Wish they could tell me who owns the pants!
CREATURE FAN

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Mike Scott on March 14, 2021, 04:55:18 AM
Wish they could tell me who owns the pants!

I don't think anyone knows that!   ;D

Count Zachula

Its just kinda ridiculous that something as un-interesting as the Creature Walk's burlap sack costume or the Mutant's clothing is what's causing this fiasco.  Like they're not talking about the masks right? Hopefully we can get some concrete answers to understand this weirdness.