Super 7 "Official Universal Monsters Thread"

Started by Remco Wolfman, February 16, 2018, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mike Scott on December 11, 2020, 08:29:47 PM
The FUNKO hand puppets (Creature and Frank) who's packaging also promised a future Dracula and a Bride.

That was disappointing.  I wanted all four as it was printed on back of their cards. Instead,  I only have two.
Which is kind of weird. Since years later Funko produced the Universal Monsters Funko Force. Sans, Dracula. Replace by the Wolfman. Nevertheless.  Funko could have easily produced four hand puppets.  Unless it was not cost effective. Or the Hand puppets did not do well with the first two produced in the line.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

VulcansFury

Quote from: Anton Phibes on December 11, 2020, 02:33:13 PM
In your opinion. In mine, it makes sense to leave him there, as the card acts as a checklist for new collectors. So they can know how many characters have been produced.

I never said it was my opinion, but if you feel yours is so much superior youre welcome to take it up with Super7

VulcansFury

Quote from: Anton Phibes on December 11, 2020, 06:20:39 PM
This is what I am alluding to with regards to acting as a checklist. This is a vintage Star Wars backer card for a figure from Return of the Jedi. I sincerely doubt you could walk into any store and find every single one of these characters hanging on pegs at the same time. However, it proved beneficial to folks trying to collect every figure released in a series. I think they should've left Mutant on and just plastered "sold out" across him. They have "new" on the CWAU on the back of the card, so it could've been done for Mutant with a "sold out" label. Famous Monsters used to do it with items from Don Post, and even their own back issues. To let folks reference a mask or a character an d know it existed. It's not a big deal, just trying to make conversation, and wondering as to their reasoning. Also if they were mandated to remove him for some reason.  :angel:

Apples to Oranges comparison. Kenner kept them all in production so you literally could collect them all. Super7 is not in the checklist business, and neither is pretty much anyone else in the modern era. Not even current Star Wars offers a checklist of even their current years offerings. Your expectations are simply not in line with modern practices no matter how many 30 year old examples you want to trot out to support your argument. Super7 didnt even do this with their Alien figures.

VulcansFury

Quote from: marsattacks666 on December 12, 2020, 08:12:34 AM
What am I missing.  The Metaluna Mutant is readily available on many Toy-related sites.

Old stock, but not currently in production. If as you say hes still so readily available then sounds like a wise financial choice fornSuper7 not to do an additional production run

Monsters For Sale

I always thought that "checklists" of product that included sold out items was a good marketing ploy.

It reminds the prospective buyers that things are not available forever.  So, better buy now.

I remember magazine that sold back issues doing this.  Made me want to buy up the earlier/more popular previous issues while I still could.
ADAM

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: marsattacks666 on December 12, 2020, 08:15:17 AM
That was disappointing.  I wanted all four as it was printed on back of their cards. Instead,  I only have two.
Which is kind of weird. Since years later Funko produced the Universal Monsters Funko Force. Sans, Dracula. Replace by the Wolfman. Nevertheless.  Funko could have easily produced four hand puppets.  Unless it was not cost effective. Or the Hand puppets did not do well with the first two produced in the line.

This Funko Force Dracula, released at the same time as the other three monsters based on Universal properties but NOT licensed from Universal?

If you're really interested, it's not weird at all. The puppets were not "cost effective". Sales on the first two - the strongest characters in the pantheon, were poor compared to expectation and cost. Xonex / X ONE X Productions / X One X Movie Archives / AVELA came along later, boldly peddling their comparatively cheap rights assertions and a lot of licensees swallowed, resulting in the UM Funko Force and bobble heads (and those over-sized, overpriced, under produced Pez effigies) from Funko. While that ultimately didn't work out well for AVELA, it worked out great, in the case of our beloved monsters, for Funko, Universal, and us, proving the viability of the license (and perhaps altering Universal's fee structure, but I've never been privy to that info).

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

horrorhunter

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on December 12, 2020, 12:27:51 PM
I always thought that "checklists" of product that included sold out items was a good marketing ploy.

It reminds the prospective buyers that things are not available forever.  So, better buy now.

I remember magazine that sold back issues doing this.  Made me want to buy up the earlier/more popular previous issues while I still could.
Yes. Warren Publishing made good use of that ploy. It later created more demand for the "sold out" issues as well, which affected the collector's market.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

fearliath

Quote from: VulcansFury on December 12, 2020, 12:03:50 PM
Apples to Oranges comparison. Kenner kept them all in production so you literally could collect them all. Super7 is not in the checklist business, and neither is pretty much anyone else in the modern era. Not even current Star Wars offers a checklist of even their current years offerings. Your expectations are simply not in line with modern practices no matter how many 30 year old examples you want to trot out to support your argument. Super7 didnt even do this with their Alien figures.

Super 7 did a checklist with Reaction MOTU. If they have multiple waves they almost always put all of them on the card back because they're into the vintage feel and that's a vintage thing to do.

marsattacks666

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on December 12, 2020, 12:32:42 PM
This Funko Force Dracula, released at the same time as the other three monsters based on Universal properties but NOT licensed from Universal?

If you're really interested, it's not weird at all. The puppets were not "cost effective". Sales on the first two - the strongest characters in the pantheon, were poor compared to expectation and cost. Xonex / X ONE X Productions / X One X Movie Archives / AVELA came along later, boldly peddling their comparatively cheap rights assertions and a lot of licensees swallowed, resulting in the UM Funko Force and bobble heads (and those over-sized, overpriced, under produced Pez effigies) from Funko. While that ultimately didn't work out well for AVELA, it worked out great, in the case of our beloved monsters, for Funko, Universal, and us, proving the viability of the license (and perhaps altering Universal's fee structure, but I've never been privy to that info).

Thank you for the explanation,  DMG.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Anton Phibes

Quote from: fearliath on December 12, 2020, 02:35:23 PM
Super 7 did a checklist with Reaction MOTU. If they have multiple waves they almost always put all of them on the card back because they're into the vintage feel and that's a vintage thing to do.

Agreed.

Anton Phibes

Quote from: horrorhunter on December 12, 2020, 12:35:02 PM
Yes. Warren Publishing made good use of that ploy. It later created more demand for the "sold out" issues as well, which affected the collector's market.

Thanks, HH. I see, that you see,  what I meant.  ;D ;D

geezer butler

Quote from: Anton Phibes on December 11, 2020, 06:20:39 PM
This is what I am alluding to with regards to acting as a checklist. This is a vintage Star Wars backer card for a figure from Return of the Jedi. I sincerely doubt you could walk into any store and find every single one of these characters hanging on pegs at the same time. However, it proved beneficial to folks trying to collect every figure released in a series. I think they should've left Mutant on and just plastered "sold out" across him. They have "new" on the CWAU on the back of the card, so it could've been done for Mutant with a "sold out" label. Famous Monsters used to do it with items from Don Post, and even their own back issues. To let folks reference a mask or a character an d know it existed. It's not a big deal, just trying to make conversation, and wondering as to their reasoning. Also if they were mandated to remove him for some reason.  :angel:

That would make a bad ass poster.

Anton Phibes

nevermind,lol

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Mike Scott on December 12, 2020, 03:16:03 AM
What do you mean by "feature"? If you mean why are they no longer producing the Mutant, it's probably because it just sold out, like some of the other figures.

I thought we were talking about why the character did not appear on the card with the other sold out monsters.  Most sold out, but they are still featured on the card.  I'm saying the character isn't featured on the card, because they can no longer promote the character as one of their products, because the license changed. 

Mike Scott

Quote from: aura of foreboding on December 14, 2020, 02:48:07 AM
I thought we were talking about why the character did not appear on the card with the other sold out monsters. 

Oh! I thought you were wondering why the toy wasn't re-released in Wave 3.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website