It's official, I have too many Renzi Kongs....

Started by NekroDave, November 21, 2009, 09:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NekroDave

Remember when I made this innocuous little comment?

Quote from: NekroDave on June 06, 2008, 12:45:25 AM

Quote from: Toy Ranch on June 05, 2008, 01:32:15 AM
The Mighty Kong in this photo is the very same Mighty Kong I had as a child.

What is the big Kong in the right corner? With his hands against his stomach? I like that one.

Who knew then that I would end up with 6 different Renzi Kongs, including this red one I just scored? I'd asked in the past if anyone knew what other colors were out there, but the only one mentioned was a possible lime green.

So for the record, I've now got the common black, pink, red, brown bootleg from Argentina, 2 small ones (painted and unpainted) and vintage homemade plaster mold. What the heck? How did this happen? lol

This little score came at a nice time for me. Last week, I traveled to Denver, PA for a big auction of Japanese robot and kaiju toys, but the day of the auction, something else showed up online that was much more important than anything at the auction house. So I choose to save my money for the other thing (an empty box for a toy I have). Well, the box sold for about $3,350 and I got blown outta the water. No box + no toys at auction = unhappy Dave. But just before going to bed, I saw this with a $20 BIN and pounced. A small consolation, but it helps..

The Creeper

Cool find!  At least you got something cool and pretty cheap!
Long live the UMA!

Unknown Primate

Is there really such a thing as too many Kongs?

I think not!
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

raycastile

He's pretty neat.  I'd like to take a bite out of him and see what flavor he is.  I'm betting it's kind of a gummi worm cherry, or a cough drop flavor.
Raymond Castile

monsterphile

NekroDave

Quote from: monsterphile on November 21, 2009, 11:45:36 PM
What empty box sold for over $3000?

A Jumbo Machinder box, for the character "Green Ghost C3" (fifth from the left). Arguably the 4th or 5th rarest toy in the line, meaning I will likely never complete my collection. I planned to throw down $2000 myself and thought for sure it would be enough. Disappointment doesn't even begin to describe what I felt when I realized it wouldn't be.

NekroDave

The flash sort of washed it out a bit, but that one on the left is more light green than the blue depicted in the picture. Maybe later I can get a more accurate picture when I set up my light tent and I'll add it to the blow mold thread then. So I assume this is the one that Shannon thought he saw in that book. I certainly hope it is, anyway. I seriously don't need more of these guys, but I'm compelled to get them all at this point.

michblk

Hey Dave, if you feel burdened with to many, feel free to send some my way!

BK
"There is something wrong with us, very, very wrong with us"
Bill Murray - Stripes

Sleepyhollowstudios

I love to see paint variants on figures. Especially when said paint variants remind me sugary snacks.

Anyone else got a hankerin' for some birthday cake ice cream?

-Andy
Bugs Bunny is my dream. Wile E. Coyote is my reality.

NekroDave

Nah, I'm certainly not burdened by them. I just find it odd that this has happened. I will say that I had no idea how I was gonna display them all, but after putting them together just for that pic, I sort of like them there, all in a group. I had to move some stuff out from behind them though, but I think they look neat together. A happy little family. Now I wonder if there are any color variations for the little guys...? :)