Favorite edition of the Star Trek series

Started by general gruesome, June 07, 2013, 08:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general gruesome

I've been on a big Star Trek kick lately, recently re-watching episodes of TOS and the first four or five films. I was wondering what edition of the six Star Trek series' is your favorite? I've seen random episodes of them all. I love them all, but prefer TOS, the '70s cartoon, and some of the others were pretty decent, although I don't remember liking 'Enterprise' very much, the remaining ones were all from the 1990s, so I enjoyed them quite a bit.

D.D. Wookie

Loved the cartoon.  That and the Godzilla cartoon and Fat Albert made getting up early on a saturday a lot easier than it is today.
When the dead walk, senores, we must stop the killing, or we'll lose the war...

CreepysFan

LOVE the original series, the rest are just something to watch when there's nothing else on.

Love the Fat Albert cartoon, been re-watching it again on Hulu.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Phantom Stranger

1) The original (and still the best)
2) Voyager
3) The Next Generation
4) The Animated Series
5) I never watched DS9 and I thought Enterprise had potential, but it never achieved it.

CreepysFan

I tought Enterprise lived up to it's expected potential : I expected crap, and that's what they showed.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

BrotherD

Classic Trek for the win for sure . . .

After that, I REALLY enjoyed Deep Space Nine. Next Gen' is solid, and in re-watching it, I'm warming up to Enterprise. Voyager did nothing for me . . .

And I need to rewatch the cartoons. :)
I podcast, therefore I am . . .
Monster Kid Radio - http://www.monsterkidradio.net
1951 Down Place - http://www.1951downplace.com

Paladin

I'd prefer the original series, but not the remastered episodes which are on- line to view. 

"Traveler of both time and space..."

nospillblood

If I just want a quick fix I go for TOS. Otherwise Voyager if I can spare an entire afternoon though they are all enjoyable to me.

Paladin

The original series was on almost all of the time back in the day when syndication was a little bit different.
The UHF stations almost all carried it. I vaguely recall it being on NBC during the 1960's on Friday nights.

Paladin

I think that the Star Trek franchise is tired. Others may disagree, but there's only so much juice one can get from an orange.
The "reboot" (or whatever ...) just didn't cut it (IMO) and a few people that I know told me that "Into Darkness" is really nothing special...

Scatter

Quote from: CreepysFan on June 09, 2013, 01:56:21 AM
LOVE the original series, the rest are just something to watch when there's nothing else on.

Love the Fat Albert cartoon, been re-watching it again on Hulu.

Our brains are one.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Scary Terry

Just got the blu-ray set of the original series, and am just a few episodes in. Gives you the option of watching the original versions or the upgraded effects versions. They've done an amazing job on the image quality on these -- just gorgeous. Certainly a far cry from the fuzzy, snowy images on the ol' antenna TV back when they were first aired.

I also like the cartoon series (in my Netflix queue) and the movies (and, yes, the new reboot) -- but don't really care for any of the follow-up series. I watched Next Gen when it was new -- but it alway felt like "Star Trek: the Afterschool Special" to me -- all that crap about the character's feelings.  Damnit -- go fight some lizard-headed aliens and blow some stuff up, will ya? No interest in ever watching those again.  And couldn't watch any of the others at all.
Scary Terry
www.terrybeatty.blogspot.com

Paladin

You pretty much summed it up, Terry. 

I liked the sixth installment of the films, maybe the second. The original series was (for the most part) pretty solid but the follow- up shows such as The Next Gen., Enterprise, etc. were just to keep the series "going" and keep Paramount's pockets deep.

I know that there are Trek people out there who like these series the films but to each his own.
I just feel that the franchise ran it's course and became stale.

LP_Quagmire

Quote from: BrotherD on June 13, 2013, 01:18:36 PM
Classic Trek for the win for sure . . .

After that, I REALLY enjoyed Deep Space Nine. Next Gen' is solid.

Agreed.
"From thy wedding with the creature who touches Heaven, lady God preserve thee..." -- Jeff Bridges in KING KONG

Phantom Stranger

On this date (September 8th) in 1966 , the original  "Star Trek" aired it's first episode. (The Man Trap)
Also on this date in 1973 the animated series aired it's first episode. ( Beyond The Farthest Star)

Happy Birthday Star Trek