Cloverfield

Started by Southside Gargoyle, January 01, 2008, 11:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toy Ranch

We finally got to see it today.  From the premise of Abrams looking at a rack of Godzilla toys with his son in Japan to the realization of his stated goal of providing the US with a big monster of it's own...  it totally succeeded.  Just as Godzilla was a symbol of the nuclear attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Cloverfield is a symbol of the 9/11 attacks and subsequent war with terrorists.  A terribly clever, but simple, effect was used to contrast the difference between life before that day and life since.  The handheld camera angle was believable throughout most of the movie, with only a couple of scenes that seemed forced.  The dialoge was believable as well, it did not seem like a script, it seemed like a group of 20somethings trying to survive a disaster.  Their terror comes through, as does their bravery, but at it's heart it's a roller coaster ride through a giant monster attack as told through the lens of a handheld video recorder.  It's nailbiting fun and my wife, son, and I all really enjoyed it. 

fmofmpls

This one is definitely on my list of films to see. I'm one of those motion sickness guys too. I think I'll bring a monster blanket and a vomit bag just in case.
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

Inkfink

Ha, ha! Looks like the Cloverfield's motion sickness effects are making news:

http://www.koco.com/news/15112533/detail.html

We could be returning to the William Castle days of signing insurance forms and nurses stationed in the lobby. It would have been cool to have been handed an official Cloverfield barf bag before the movie... instant collector's item!

I understand the new Diary of the Dead was filmed the same way. What's next to be "cinema verited"?

Gary D Macabre

OK I admit it I watched it on line, but the likely hood of me getting to the theater for it is pretty small  (they'll get my money when it hits video).  And truth is I'm glad I saw it as the fictional filmmaker intended.  I'm not one to get motion sick, but that on a big screen I can see giving me a killer headache.  The kicker is although it's an interesting touch, I'm not sure it adds that much more to the film than traditional camera work would have achieved. IF you were right there with them you wouldn't be shaking around and spinning like a maypole dancer on mushrooms.  Besides most modern video cameras have some degree of image stabilization and IR capabilities.  They could have still got the desired effect and less of the nausea  if they toned it down somewhat IMO.  Beyond that I really loved the unique take of the movie.
Gary D. Macabre
Phantom of the UMA lounge

Grape

I just want to note that I wasn't in the least affected by the camerawork. In fact, I thought that after the first ten or fifteen minutes they considerable lessened the gimic.  And I'm a guy who's actually gotten a bit ill on roller coasters, at sea, and in the air.

Go figger.

~Grape
When you've got a thirst for something palinka, remember ....
BOR SOR ES PALINKA

Toy Ranch

My wife is usually the first to get carsick and stuff, and she was worried going in because she forgot her dramamine, but she didn't have any problems.

ThereWolf

I saw it....totally loved the movie....definitely a must see.
And I had a headache for about 3 days (I get migraines)...the one day it starts to die down, my wife and I go see it. I tell her from the beginning of when I started to hear about the movie, I wanted to know nothing about it.

After the first 20 minutes and her seeing my face contort and migraine come back she leans and whispers:

"You told me not to tell you anything"

It was a funny moment!

NekroDave

I saw it Sunday night and thought it was great. The camerawork didn't bother me at all, either by making me sick or as a gimmick. I liked the giant monster well enough, but the little ones not quite as much. I didn't like the people much, but that's not a prerequisite for me liking a movie. If something like that really went down, you probably wouldn't be able to pick and choose who you're running for your life with anyway. The action and suspense was great. Good times.

Oh and for what it's worth, Hasbro has already announced that they will be releasing a toy of the monster. Of course, it would be nice if you could actually see the toy before dropping $100 on the pre-order...

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=863&ID=21030

Marsha

Hey everybody, been so busy with school and this was my 1st chance to check on the forum. I am so glad to hear the great reviews of this movie. I went to the midnite show with my sister and we both loved it! My only criticism was that it was too short. I thought we were going to get at least a couple of different perspectives. Either way, it was great. I've heard rumors that there are plans for a part 2--anyone else hear that? Also, my brother called to tell me that in the scene where the hero is filming the sunrise from the the girls apaprtment--you see the tanker in the water and something fall from the sky and land in the water. I did not catch that--now I have to go see it again!

The Phantom Creep

************ EVEN THOUGH NOBODY ELSE HERE HAS DONE THIS, SPOILER ALERT ***********************************************************************

Well I saw this tonight after walking out after about 30 minutes of Diary of the Dead (painfully bad all around). The camera work didn't bother me much once the action got going. It did bother me a little during the whole party scene but I think that's just because I didn't care about those people and just wanted the monster to show up. The comic relief character Hud actually didn't bother me either which surprised me. There were a few times where it was a stretch that they would have held onto the camera but I guess that's ok. I thought the smaller creatures was a stupid idea that was very unnecessary and I think the movie should have just ended with the crash of the helicopter. Other than those small complaints I enjoyed the ride. And I think the length was perfect at 84 minutes. I say enough of these damn 2 and a half hour movies, bring back the 80 minute movie !!!
"Ladies and gentlemen, please do not panic. But  SCREAM!! Scream for your lives!!"

raycastile

This seems like a toy designed for kids to play with, but priced for adult collectors.

Quote from: NekroDave on January 30, 2008, 02:17:05 PM

Oh and for what it's worth, Hasbro has already announced that they will be releasing a toy of the monster. Of course, it would be nice if you could actually see the toy before dropping $100 on the pre-order...

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=863&ID=21030
Raymond Castile

The Drunken Severed Head

The price of the toy is ridiculous, IMHO. Guess it's a test to see if it really is true that "a fool and his money are soon parted."

The Phantom Creep

That price is ridiculous and while the monster design works fine in the movie where you don't see it much I think it makes for a lame toy.
"Ladies and gentlemen, please do not panic. But  SCREAM!! Scream for your lives!!"

Grape

Quote from: ZOMBOPHOTO on February 18, 2008, 12:19:05 AM
........................ I say enough of these damn 2 and a half hour movies, bring back the 80 minute movie !!!

HERE HERE! There're too many movies which are WORTH an hour and a half of my time but which TAKE way over two hours instead.

~Grape
When you've got a thirst for something palinka, remember ....
BOR SOR ES PALINKA

raycastile

Quote from: The Drunken Severed Head on February 18, 2008, 10:06:00 AM
The price of the toy is ridiculous, IMHO. Guess it's a test to see if it really is true that "a fool and his money are soon parted."

I agree.  But if this were made by Amok instead of Hasbro, people would be calling it a bargain.
Raymond Castile