COLLECTION CORNER!!

Started by jupiter2, September 30, 2019, 12:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Masksalot

Quote from: jupiter2 on June 03, 2021, 01:10:58 PM2007 Don Post Studios "Ghoulaloha"

That mask would've definitely caught my eye if I'd ever seen it in a Halloween store.
You're fortunate to have found one, jupiter2. Thanks for the fun review. Whoever conceived it
for DPS must've known and loved "Trilogy of Terror". That movie haunted my dreams for years
after first watching it. A dealer I knew had a replica of the Zuni doll for sale at a convention
but he had trouble all weekend getting it to stay standing on his table. At one point, some fans
were looking at it as it fell over and they all scattered in a panic, screaming "it's alive, it's alive!" 

Sir Masksalot

So here it is, the third of my new scores from Gory Glenn's estate sale: a foamed master casting of
The MUMMY, released as a licensed wearable mask by Paper Magic Group in the 1990s >

The existence of an unpainted polyfoam-filled master is very unusual outside of a production facility.
They're meant for in-house use only and typically cast from first generation (master) molds.
The mold itself was likely destroyed after this posterity master was cast. Today it's all that remains
of the sculptor's original vision >

When deciding on a finish for it, I chose the PMG catalog image to submit as reference ...
but that blazing blue eye had to go >

Instead, I asked my painter to recreate the blacked-out glare of Kharis as depicted in 1940's
"The Mummy's Hand". It came out super creepy, dark as the tomb itself >

Mounted on a custom display base it's now quite a show piece, all I could ever want in
a Universal MUMMY monster. Maybe you'll see it at one of my convention exhibits someday.

Kidagain

Fantastic looking piece and thanks for the back story, I still miss Glenn here on the boards.

Doh!

That dark eye looks so much better than the blue. Great job!

Still missing Glenn. We did some email exchanges over the brief time I knew him so I cherish those.

Monster Matt

«E» «X» «C» «E» «L» «L» «E» «N» «T» design choices (!!)
--particularly with that subdued, dark eyeball.

Sculpture-wise, this foam-filled master casting has maybe even More subtle, delicate details (*e.g.: the slicked-back hairline) than the Don Post Calendar classic mask!

Very enjoyable read..

Mike Scott

Welcome to the UMA, Monster Matt!  :)

What is your avatar from? It looks like the '70s.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

BRICK

Quote from: Mike Scott on June 09, 2021, 11:45:44 PM
Welcome to the UMA, Monster Matt!  :)

What is your avatar from? It looks like the '70s.

It looks like it is from Salem's Lot (1979).
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Monster Matt

Boy! --you guys are a friendly group ✌️✌️Already received a very cool, friendly message from this thread's awesome contributor, (*at*)Sir Masksalot. This cat must be this board's own modern-day Fory Ackerman! ~~ Wow! ~~ what a collection!

Totally appreciate the welcome, (*at*)Mike Scott!!

(*at*)BRICK: Ding Ding Ding! Right you are. Recently learned of the super-interesting (c)DPS "Ghoul" (*later version with menacing pointed vampire chompers)-- Whew! what a radical sculpt. I really get spooky 60's Haunted Mansion vibes from that one!

🙌**fingers crossed**🙌 Would Love to land a copy of that beauty one day! 🙌**fingers crossed**🙌

Created a lil' moving GIF file avatar from the Stephen King mini-series (*that briefly showcased the retooled "Ghoul" vinyl classic) as an attempt to come across very affluent in vintage monster mask knowledge.. Truth be told, I'm a newbie!

(c)Death Studios "Vampyre" Barlow anyone??..

Sir Masksalot

Quote from: Monster Matt on June 16, 2021, 05:13:22 AM
Sir Masksalot. This cat must be this board's own modern-day Fory Ackerman! DPS "Ghoul" (*later version with menacing pointed vampire chompers)-- Whew! what a radical sculpt. I really get spooky 60's Haunted Mansion vibes from that one!

Thanks for that fine compliment, Monster Matt, although Mr Ackerman had masks I could only dream of owning. Speaking of which:
That shark-toothed Ghoul would fit right in to a dream I've often had of my own "Haunted Mansion" ride wherein all the pop-up ghouls
featured my favorite collectable masks!

Doh!

I had the pleasure of touring the Ackermansion many, many years ago! In fact, it was so long ago I had to take pictures with a FILM camera.

Caveman days...

Monster Matt

(*at*)Sir Masksalot: What an awesome reply! --«W» «O» «W»-- I've never seen that HM behind-the-scenes pic before! That's exactly the mood I was trying to express earlier in this thread RE: the "Ghoul"..

(*at*)Doh: No. Way. Sooo jelly, LOL! If those candid original photographs of yours ever turn up.. I hope own a scanner!

Dr.Terror

Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

Sir Masksalot

Never could I have imagined that Don Post's 800 line SKULL mask would one day become
a sought-after collectible, this by way of its appearance in the Halloween movie series.

Long before that, they were fairly easy to get at retail shops since they only cost $8.95 >

I scored my first one in February 1973. Being cast in durable vinyl, it looks as good now
as it did then >

I got a VERMILLION SKULL at the same time. It's still my favorite of all DP Skull masks >

Four years later, DPS catalogued their premiere line of luminous masks. The old style Skull was
first to be developed for the series. The other characters followed soon after >

I bought three of them including GHOST SKULL. They were super cool and glowed really bright!

For 1998 DPS released something called BLOOD SKULL, adapted from the old molds
but not to be confused with the earlier "Vermillion Skull" because its eyes are withered >

Nowadays the generic white SKULL can be had from Trick or Treat Studios,
still looking as good as DP's originals >

My favorite SKULL mask is currently Illusive Concepts' version. I bid on and won
a master casting which came up for auction back in July 2013. This must be Mario
Chiodo's work since it's sculpted so exquisitely >

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Sir Masksalot

I've never owned all of The Halloween Society's mask editions but I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on NOSFERATU.
It only ever appeared in one fanzine ad back in 1989:

http://rubberroom101.com/gazette/thsw89/splitz/17.html

My copy was number three or four in the limited edition >

I wonder where copy #1 is now. Last I saw, it was in the Ackerman Archives >

As promised in the ad, all copies included a chunk of clay from the original sculpture.
I got an ear. FJA got the face >