COLLECTION CORNER!!

Started by jupiter2, September 30, 2019, 12:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doh!

zotzcoin

Great looking copy of that mask, Sir!  As I recall, Bill Malone sculpted that Spock from scratch, as opposed to using the Nimoy life cast as he did for the '75 version.  The old Spock, like the Captain Kirk mask, was kind of a tight fit for most people's heads.  I think Bill also sculpted the Vulcan, and Jim Leonard sculpted the Klingon.  Congrats on having such a nice piece!

jupiter2

It's a beautiful mask and very interesting technique with the insulation tape!

Sir Masksalot

Folklore has it that if a Metaluna Mutant pops up and sees its own reflection, we're in for a nuclear winter!

Relax, I just made that up to scare you but what better lead-in to my discussion of the DPS MUTANT masks I've owned over the years.

First came this one in the early 1970s. It made several appearances in my amateur monster movies of the period >

Later in the decade, another turned up for sale at a Hollywood memorabilia shop. I promptly purchased it, together with the old style claws >

I had a third copy in the early '80s but could only find one old photo of it and not a very good one at that >

Meanwhile, the character had been resculpted for its 1975 re-release from Post Studios. This "Malonian" MUTANT was
not in production for more than a year or two. I had a really nice one for a while which I'd customized with veinage in the eyes >

Those preceding four masks left my collection decades ago but three others remain with me today, including a movie mold original.
You'll meet all three in my next post so keep watching the skies ... I said skies, not thighs!

Gory Glenn

I'm not big on alien masks but this one along with Ridley Scott's Alien are my 2 favorites. Back then it was kind of the thing to have aliens with what appeared to have exposed brains. I remember the old Topps trading cards that had a similar look. I was repulsed and drawn to them at the same time. That's horror done right.

jupiter2

Quote from: Gory Glenn on December 10, 2020, 08:01:29 PM
I'm not big on alien masks but this one along with Ridley Scott's Alien are my 2 favorites. Back then it was kind of the thing to have aliens with what appeared to have exposed brains. I remember the old Topps trading cards that had a similar look. I was repulsed and drawn to them at the same time. That's horror done right.

Amen

Sir Masksalot

Following up on my previous post, here are the three Metaluna Mutant masks currently occupying my collection:

When Dr Shocker dissolved his House of Horror some years ago, I was fortunate to acquire his exceptional copy of the "Malonian" version.
The paint is all mid-1970s factory stock, no custom touches but for some yellow fabric I used to seal its eye slits >

Twenty years ago Post Studios was marketing their spectacular "Calendar" reissue. The edition was cast using molds developed from
Universal's original. It's quite a privilege owning a movie costume element from 1955's This Island Earth. The head came partially
foam-filled with shiny plastic lenses in both eyes >

Of course, the ultimate Mutant collectible would be a casting direct from Universal's staff shop mold which Post Studios had custody of
since the 1960s. Availability has been extremely limited over the decades and seems to coincide with periods during which DPS is
licensed to market their smaller retail versions. I scored mine in 1999 while production on the "Calendar" reissue was in full swing.
Years later, movie mold claws were offered as an independent edition. It makes for an impressive set but requires extra display space.
Included is a photo of the head with a fellow collector, no small man himself, to give you a sense of its enormity >

horrorhunter

I added more Trick Or Treat Studios masks to my collection:

I had to purchase the Hammer Mummy from an eBay seller since it was sold out on the TOTS website. Thanks to David Lady and his "Creepy Cheapies" episode for making this mask a must-have for me.

I also ordered the mask TOTS called the "Blue Banshee" (based on the Gayle House Ghoul) but I received a refund and the explanation that it wasn't available. I checked the TOTS website and there was no sign of the Blue Banshee. I couldn't even find an eBay listing for it. Weird. It's like it just slipped out of existence. Very Twilight Zone-esque.  ???
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

"And now for something completely different"...well, somewhat different anyway. Monsters sporting Roth Surfer Helmets:

:laugh:
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Doh!

Somehow, the helmeted Karloff now looks like Herman Munster.

Sir Masksalot

Here's a strange Don Post mask I scored off eBay five years ago. It was only catalogued once, back in 1989 >

The inspiration for its design is fairly obvious if you've seen the movie "Beetlejuice" but I like it anyway, just as a stand-alone spooky-ooky character >

marsattacks666

Quote from: Sir Masksalot on December 30, 2020, 11:10:34 AM

Here's a strange Don Post mask I scored off eBay five years ago. It was only catalogued once, back in 1989 >

The inspiration for its design is fairly obvious if you've seen the movie "Beetlejuice" but I like it anyway, just as a stand-alone spooky-ooky character >

My self being a Beetlejuice fan. I have never seen this mask before.  Interesting.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

jupiter2

Wow, I've never seen a copy of that. Interesting to see the production paint.

Sir Masksalot

House of Horror Studios didn't create their FLY masks as exact likenesses of 1958's movie makeup.
They may have offered as many as five different versions but I only ever owned the first three.
Their 1980 premiere model featured separately inserted feelers and vacuum-formed plastic eye lenses,
all for only $38 retail >

As classic sci fi, I respect George Langelaan's story so much that there just had to be some representation
of his title character in my collection. I'll buzz you with the next two HoHS mask versions in a few days.   

Doh!

8 years ago, I picked up a Buzz mask from Specter Studios. I added the hair and feathers myself:

I looked at the Don Post one at the time, and found it horribly thin. The Buzz is a really nice thickness. Too bad Specter is no longer around.