COLLECTION CORNER!!

Started by jupiter2, September 30, 2019, 12:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jupiter2

Sir Masksalot

Quote from: jupiter2 on August 19, 2020, 08:06:33 PM
Collection Corner #80
2000 Don Post Studios "Malonian Alien"

I didn't much notice those Wang Traditionals when they were first out but now they're looking better with age
and of course a great review always helps. Thanks, jupiter2. I always look forward to your latest vids.

Hepcat

Quote from: Kidagain on August 13, 2020, 02:36:28 PMI have to ask this question if you were a member of the Halloween Mask Association but under a different name. If you weren't we could have used you to put needed life back into that site. Sadly it shut down after a very long and fantastic run for mask collectors.

I'm still saddened by the UMA's refusal to simply absorb both the posts and the membership of HMA. It could easily have been done since both boards employed the same web hosting company.

:(
Collecting! It's what I do!

Kidagain

Sir Masksalot

I've had this Death Studios mask since it first came out. Mine was only the third copy ever cast from the mold!

Gory Glenn

Dig that mask. Has such a retro Sci-Fi vibe to it.

Sir Masksalot

Nearly all of the Mr HYDE masks I've ever owned have been Don Post versions.
Having missed out on The Halloween Society's edition, my consolation prize was
to be this alternate of the 1931 makeup. Sculpted at Alvarez Wax Models, I bought
one as a raw casting and hired somebody to finish it for me. Several years later, I
finally did score an HS edition and sold this one within months to a collector in Japan.
The HS HYDE may have a more extreme expression but AWM's looks like it had
much darker things on its mind >

Doh!

Sir Masksalot

Today's terror is actually a new score from earlier this week.  It's my new BALOK mask depicting the alien monster
from a first season Star Trek episode entitled "The Corbomite Maneuver". SNG Studio created it just last month
using reference pics of the original prop head which is said to still exist. I've long wanted a mask of the character
and, although other excellent versions have been offered, this one looks the most malevolent >

Sir Masksalot

David Ayres is a seasoned makeup effects artist who dabbles in maskmaking
and shares his work with collectors. Early in 1979 I discovered the Ayres Studio
through a magazine ad and promptly sent away for one of his catalogs >

His MORNAC character immediately delighted and revolted me.
By April I had my first Ayres Studio mask >

I scored several more of his creations via mail order over the next year or so but that MORNAC,
with its withered face and loaf-like cranium, remains my favorite.

zotzcoin

Dave's Mornak mask makes a brief appearance in the 1983 Disney/Ray Bradbury movie, Something Wicked This Way Comes.  He's one of Mister Dark's minions in the parade through the town.  Dave Ayres also sculpted the Quasimodo Hunchback mask for DPS back in 1975.  Thanks for the memories, Sir!

Sir Masksalot

Thanks for the info, zotzcoin. Somebody once pointed out to me another of David's masks in that scene
but we haven't spotted the Mornac yet.

I've had this mysterious latex bust in my collection for over ten years and am still unsure of its provenance.
The face is said to be that of the Phantom from Universal's Man of a Thousand Faces (1957) but the
neck and ears were added on much later. Its only other known appearance was in a Thriller episode called
"The Purple Room" which I haven't seen yet. The bust remains unfinished pending verification of its identity.

Sir Masksalot

When it comes to PHANTOMs, there's no question that this Don Post classic from the 1960s
tops them all. I've burned through at least six copies over the years but this is the only one
I can still wear >

jupiter2

Wow - that Phantom is beautiful!

Gaira

Quote from: Sir Masksalot on September 10, 2020, 11:16:23 AM
I've had this mysterious latex bust in my collection for over ten years and am still unsure of its provenance.
The face is said to be that of the Phantom from Universal's Man of a Thousand Faces (1957) but the
neck and ears were added on much later. Its only other known appearance was in a Thriller episode called
"The Purple Room" which I haven't seen yet. The bust remains unfinished pending verification of its identity.

It's the prototype makeup of the Phantom from "Man Of A Thousand Faces".  I also have a copy with the added neck but without the ears.  I thought it was someone at Don Post that added the neck but that was never confirmed.