COLLECTION CORNER!!

Started by jupiter2, September 30, 2019, 12:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Masksalot

This character debuted as "Alien" in 1975. A fellow collector later dubbed it "905 Alien",
after its Don Post catalog number, to distinguish it from all the other alien masks that
have invaded since.

I had a first edition copy back then but there was hardly any paint on it. Over time, the latex turned
darker and darker. Being new to our world, perhaps they didn't react well to sunshine >

By 1979 its paint scheme had been revised and I purchased another. It was to be my favorite,
not only for the color but this edition still depicted the original Malonian sculpture >

Sometime in the '80s the mask was resized for larger headfit. I got a copy of that version from
Dr Shocker and have it still >

There's said to be a backstory to all the characters created by Bill Malone and Bob Short at DPS.
Do you suppose it might include how Alien maintains its oral hygiene?

Sir Masksalot

'My vintage style monster hands by VXXFX >

I believe these were based on a much older pair created by Topstone ... or was it Bayshore?

Sir Masksalot

There was a little amusement park in my hometown which had a "spook house" ride
that I just couldn't get enough of. I'd ride over and over until my parents threatened
to abandon me there >

Of the sixteen spooks inside (yes, I remember them all vividly) only three really scared me,
one of which was a gorilla. Today I have a particular fondness for gorilla masks, the hokier
the better, which can be traced directly back to that nostalgic childhood trauma.

Near the top of my favorites list is this awesome ape from Studio Quality Masks >

Its look was recreated from a mysterious 1920s-era photograph by two of maskmaking's
finest talents, Verne Langdon and Kelly Mann >

It was intentionally designed to look like something from an old carnival sideshow >

I scored an early casting in 2004. Only a handful have been made since >

Years later my copy was exhibited at Monsterpalooza as part of a memorial tribute to Verne Langdon >

Hepcat

Quote from: Sir Masksalot on July 06, 2020, 12:40:14 PMThere was a little amusement park in my hometown which had a "spook house" ride that I just couldn't get enough of. I'd ride over and over until my parents considered abandoning me there >

Where was this? Is the amusement park gone now?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Sir Masksalot

Quote from: Hepcat on July 06, 2020, 01:03:01 PMIs the amusement park gone now?

'Since '74. If not, I might still be riding!

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Sir Masksalot

If you can't trust a studio called "The Devil's Workshop" to create the ultimate DEMON mask,
who can you trust? I scored mine in 2015 and it's stood center stage in my collection ever since >

Soon afterwards, it joined an exhibit of classic monsters at a nearby convention >

marsattacks666

Quote from: Sir Masksalot on July 09, 2020, 10:25:38 AM

If you can't trust a studio called "The Devil's Workshop" to create the ultimate DEMON mask,
who can you trust? I scored mine in 2015 and it's stood center stage in my collection ever since >

Soon afterwards, it joined an exhibit of classic monsters at a nearby convention >

Great mask and work-of-art.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Gojirafan

Quote from: Hepcat on July 06, 2020, 01:03:01 PM
Where was this? Is the amusement park gone now?

???
Looks so much like the haunted ride from Rye Playland. Anyone remember that and the animated witch on top?
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

Sir Masksalot

Death Studios has created many deeply disturbing masks over the years
but this one really took a BITE out of its competition >

It's been around since the 1980s but I didn't score mine until 2011 >

It took me that long just to work up the nerve!

marsattacks666

Quote from: Sir Masksalot on July 13, 2020, 07:45:47 AM

Death Studios has created many deeply disturbing masks over the years
but this one really took a BITE out of its competition >

It's been around since the 1980s but I didn't score mine until 2011 >

It took me that long just to work up the nerve!

Way awesome!🤘🏻

Sir Masksalot

Back in 1984 I scored an amazing custom ET head, adapted from the movie mold.
It was so big, I could've easily worn it but for its skinny little neck. Trying to work
my head through there probably would've killed me! I owned hundreds of other
masks at the time and was never able to make room for this, nor did it fit in with
the prevailing monster theme. Later that same year, ET "found home" in an east coast collection >

Nowadays I'm quite content with the retail version from Don Post Studios, especially after
having it repainted. For anyone questioning my change of mind on the character, I now
value this more as a DPS mask than a memento from the popular movie >

Doh!

I have one of the Post ETs  but yours looks a tad nicer...

Sir Masksalot

Among my favorites by Distortions Unlimited, their 1988 DEVIL ranks high on the list >

With its over-the-top expression, coupled with that "denizen-of-a-dark-ride" quality,
there's no way I could pass it by. I never wore my first edition copy to a masquerade
but did use it once as a party decoration >

I'd actually cut my teeth on Distortions demons years earlier with their Keeper of the Crypt mask
but it was just a warm-up for what was to come >

jupiter2

I really look forward to, and enjoy your posts, Sir Masksalot!
Such great photos and stories!