WHO ???

Started by CreepysFan, November 04, 2008, 09:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CreepysFan

I was wondering if there were any other fans of the British "DR. WHO" Sci-Fi series on the UMA.  This series is the longest running Sci-Fi tv series in history with the original series from 1963 until 1989, and returning in 2005 to present.  For those not familiar with the show: The Doctor is an alien time traveler, who when is dying regenerates into a new form with anew personality. To date there have been 10 incarnations of the Doctor. I would be interested in which incarnations other UMA members liked best. For me: Seventh (MCcoy) best, then First Doctor (Wm. Hartnell), the current Doctor (Tennant), then all the others.   I didn't care for the 6th Colin Baker Doctor, but as a fan can accept him.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

avenger

I am a big Dr.WHO fan and have been for years .I collect any memorabilia I can find and have
liked the show since I first saw it as a small child.I like all the Doctor's incarnations but  Tom
Baker and the current Doctor,David Tennant are my favourites.

CreepysFan

David Tennant is fantastic, I'm really impressed with his take on the role.  I hope he'll remain playing the Doctor for years to come.  The official BBC site for the series says the new fifth season won't be out till 2010, which probably means I won't get to see it here until 2011.  I also loved the Tom Baker Doctor, and I believe he played the part longer than the others.

depressedlarrytalbot

Alas! The brilliant Tennant has just announced his departure from the series in the foreseeable future.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/31/arts/31arts-DOCTORWHOACT_BRF.html?ref=television

I was always fond of the Third Doctor, Jon Pertwee (father of Sean from DOG SOLDIERS) and until recently preferred the Doc to have a... senior air of authority. I think you bond best with the Doc that you saw first. Something like a duck hatchling I guess....  ;D

avenger

I saw that interview with David Tennant as well and it is too bad because he did give his own
slant on the Doctor which made the character different and interesting.
I saw the series at the beginning with William Hartnell and was hooked.
I enjoyed each characterization of the Doctor because each actor tried to make the character
"his own".It's a great series,it has monsters ,heroes,villains,sci-fi,time travel,everything that
folks like us enjoy !

chrisnurse

It's shot in Cardiff, my home town! I always loved Tom Baker.
You can't kill the Boogeyman

CreepysFan

I find it disappointing to hear that Tennant isn't planning to return, as I really enjoy his portrayal as the Doctor.  His personality was such that you couldn't help but like him in the role.  As with all the other terrific actors to play the part, sooner or later It's time to move on.  I hate hearing this news.  Wish we could have had a few more years with David Tennant.   :'(

Barlow

My favorite Doctor would be Jon Pertwee, partly because he was the Doctor when I first discovered the show. My second favorite would be the original Hartnell Doctor, then Peter Davidson. Although lately I've come to favor Patrick Troughton over Davidson. I stopped watching it after Davidson's run.

CreepysFan

Patrick troughton made a really fantastic Doctor, I loved the slight comedy touch.  He's also appeared in many horror movies as well: A priest in the original "Omen", "Frankenstien and the Monster from Hell", "Scars of Dracula", "Jason and the Argonauts", and even a Space:1999 episode.  William Hartnell has always been my second favorite, under Sylvester McCoy (7th Doctor).

Memphremagog

The first Doctor I was ever exposed to was Jon Pertwee, but the one that is still my favorite is Tom Baker..

In preferrence of the Doctors, I have watched all of them, but besides Tom my favorites were Christopher Eccleston, Jon Pertwee, Patrick Troughton and Colin Baker(yeah, I know many fans dont like him but he was different.)
The version I liked least was Sylvester McCoy, many of his stories were very childish and his Doctor had too many Jedi-like powers that none of the other incarnations seemed to have..too easy to get out of tight situations. The other Docs usually found some clever way.
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

CreepysFan

The first version of the Doctor I was exposed to was Peter Cushing (playing Wm.Hartnell's part) in the "Dalek Invation of Earth" movie.  Soon after they started playing the Tom Baker episodes on TV, followed with the earlier Doctors.  Tom baker appeared in several horror movies: "Tales from the Crypt", "Vault of Horror", "Golden Voyage of Sinbad".   Jon pertwee was in "House that Dripped Blood".  Christopher Eccleston played on TV's "Heroes" as an invisable guy.  I've seen every episode of all Doctors, except for the few destroyed  with Hartnell and Troughton. The only version I've had trouble liking was Collin Baker, just came off a little too goofy.

depressedlarrytalbot

OK Pertwee fans and especially CreepysFan...

**SPOILERS MAY ENSUE**

...have you even noticed how Jon looks goofy and goes cross-eyed when he's playing "highly emotional"? I noticed it first in a WHO episode where he steps straight out of the TARDIS and gets tangled up in some alien tentacles in the first few seconds. The planet was all blue-lit and I think it was possibly errrr Metabilis Three, home of the giant spiders. The Doc's all tangled and struggling with these things and he goes all.... goofy-lookin' with hs exertions to escape. Then in HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD, at the end where he emerges from the coffin to terrorise that poor cop, his cape seems a bit small and seems to confine his movement... and as he struggles to go all looming and Batman with it, again he goes all goofy. In fact I think a publicity still exists showing him lying there staked.... and he's cross-eyed. Is this some strange 'new' Method Acting Du Pertwee?

Watch out for a young, dapper Jon Pertwee as a 1950s descendant of Dr Jekyll in the British movie THE UGLY DUCKLING. I haven't seen it in years and years. Bernard Bresslaw plays the Hyde candidate, but Pertwee is his baffled pharmacist brother.   

CreepysFan

I've noticed the cross-eyed bit in "House that Dripped Blood", but I never noticed it in the "Planet of the Spiders" Who episode.  The vampire story from "House...." was a bit goofy all around anyways.  All the Doctors had silly exaggerated characteristics, which adds to their charm.  Hartnell - smugness and air of superiority.  Troughton - extremely exitable under pressure (espresso on the Tardis ?).  ect.  I'll have to pay more attention to Pertwee's eyes when I watch his episodes, I never noticed this trait.  Thanks for the link about Tennant leaving, this info isn't even on the official British BBC Doctor Who site yet.  Up to now they've always been good about telling fans a Doctor is leaving.  Maybe the BBC needs the espresso, lol.   ;D 

avenger

Creepysfan,
        Maybe the BBC have removed the David Tennant item from their site.
More than a week ago I saw the piece about David Tennant leaving the show
in an MSN entertainment news item.It was when I checked the BBC website that
I found confirmation of  the news.

raycastile

I've noticed the Pertwee cross-eyed thing before.  It doesn't bother me.  He's my second favorite Doctor after Tom Baker.  Troughton would be third, followed by Eccleston, then Tennant.  McCoy would be sixth.  The rest are about even.  The only Doctor that tries my patience sometimes is Hartnell.

I would like to see an older, more Pertwee-like Doctor take over.  I doubt that will happen, though.  I wouldn't mind another 35-40ish Doctor, but I would cringe at a 20-something Doctor.  I don't think even Davison was that young.
Raymond Castile