1000 members

Started by LUCKMANN, November 14, 2008, 07:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Most Horrible

Quote from: Mike Scott on August 07, 2013, 09:33:52 PM
At the UMA, when you reach post #10,000 you go to "Carrousel" and are renewed.

Hee! Hee! I almost spat out my coffee while reading your comment, sir. Good one!

As to the number of Our Army: 5500! Eggsalaaad! I am happy to be here at UMA with so many wierd, witty, wacky and wonderful creatures...uh, I mean mad scienti... er people. 

share the luv!
Most Horrible

"Do you like gin? It is my only weakness..."- Dr. Pretorius

marsattacks666

Quote from: Hepcat on August 09, 2013, 01:23:50 PM
So many inactive members though creates an incredible opportunity for any newbie though. Just three posts allows him/her to join the top quartile of posters right up there among the likes of Scatter and Marsattacks666!

;)

I guess, in a way, the words and formulated sentences that Myself and Scatter post make up for the lack of inactive members posts? No! Not really. To be honest, and I am not speaking for Scatter. I am an egotist and want to be the center of attention, sometimes. Look at me!!!!!!   ;D
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mike Scott on August 07, 2013, 09:33:52 PM
At the UMA, when you reach post #10,000 you go to "Carrousel" and are renewed.

I thought one had to be thirty for that to happen? :o
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mike Scott

Quote from: marsattacks666 on August 11, 2013, 03:01:13 PM
I thought one had to be thirty for that to happen? :o

I think that time has long come and gone, for most of us.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

horrorhunter

Quote from: Mike Scott on August 11, 2013, 05:44:20 PM
I think that time has long come and gone, for most of us.
Mentally?.....mmmm......nah. :P
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: marsattacks666 on August 11, 2013, 02:59:47 PMI guess, in a way, the words and formulated sentences that Myself and Scatter post make up for the lack of inactive members posts?

Hey, it's not so bad for some! Just 27 posts is all it takes to vault a newbie into the top decile of posters here on UMA!

;)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Toy Ranch

On lurkers and inactive accounts...

Sometimes we get registrations from spambots. They are pretty rare these days, but at times we had a lot of them before we were able to shut them down. If we delete those accounts, the bans expire and they can try to register again. So about 200 of those are banned spambots. Then there are a lot of them that registered, but could not activate their accounts so never posted and don't yet have active/usable accounts.  Again, if we deleted them they could register again and maybe get through, but if we leave them as inactive accounts, they can't use them.  And many spammers also register just to get access to the member emails, because many forums give access to member emails to other members.  We don't because we don't want our members to get a deluge of spam as a "member reward".  Most of the "lurkers" fall into one of the above categories.

We also have some very active lurkers. Some members with just a post or two read our forum frequently.  Sometimes they are shy, or maybe they are not fluent in English, as we have a bunch of lurkers from other countries where English is not spoken by most people.  We have a number of members who are celebrities, as many in the movie business are fans of classic monsters. Most of them may read frequently at times, but never or rarely post.  And there are people who are not good typists, or are dyslexic, or are not blessed with a talent for writing, and avoid posting at forums because they have had bad experiences in the past (mostly elsewhere, but sometimes here too)  being ridiculed for their spelling, grammar, or have been flamed after not expressing themselves well in writing.

So because we don't want to turn spammers out just to get them back, and because we don't want to delete our active lurkers, we have decided to leave the member list alone.

Flower

I completely understand and agree with the above.  8)

I have been on other forums where they (the admins and mods) felt that it was wise to restrict the 'Members Only' section to members who post or have a certain amount of posts. I don't see any harm in this .. most lurkers are harmless but in today's world, there could be stalkers who don't need to see pictures of our children, families or pets. Again, this is up to the Admins and mods on every forum.

On some forums, you can't read anything unless you are a member and on others, such as this one, you can read the 'public' sections without joining or even logging in. So, you can happily 'lurk' here without joining/logging in ..  unless you want to read the 'private' (Members only) section which is about 'personal' stuff and isn't really 'monster' related.

That's my two cents on lurking .. nothing more, nothing less ..  8)
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

LUCKMANN

The truth is this place is growing and many people from around the world, like me, love to come in here and see your posts, your figures and masks and rarities or not so rare stuff.
I feel very happy when I saw a good score or some crazy guy with a 1:1 monster at home saying his wife is going to kill him.
And made some friends since 2008 when I arrived here, so I decided to post it here.
Is a happy place with nice people. There's no better place to be than among friends.

Abraços!
Por que se preocupar com o amanhã
Se ele acaba depois de amanhã?

Since 1981!

charp13

LUCKMANN- You make me smile when I read your posts! I feel the exact same way about reading everyone's stories about their collections and how they came to be Monster collectors. I am very glad you decided to join in the conversation!   :)

marsattacks666

I couldn't agree more, what Charp posted.  ;D   In fact,. I'm glad I joined many moons ago. I really enjoy seeing, reading everyone's posts and pictures.

Hepcat

Quote from: Flower on August 12, 2013, 09:32:34 AMI have been on other forums where they (the admins and mods) felt that it was wise to restrict the 'Members Only' section to members who post or have a certain amount of posts. I don't see any harm in this .. most lurkers are harmless but in today's world, there could be stalkers who don't need to see pictures of our children, families or pets. Again, this is up to the Admins and mods on every forum.

Flower's suggestion is a very good one. There should be a minimum of say fifty posts before members can access the "Members Only" forum.

:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Hepcat on August 13, 2013, 08:12:23 AM
Flower's suggestion is a very good one. There should be a minimum of say fifty posts before members can access the "Members Only" forum.

:)

That seems like a reasonable idea.  I don't see any problems it would cause.

I'd like to hear the moderators chime in on this. 
ADAM

Scatter

Quote from: horrorhunter on August 07, 2013, 09:24:44 PM
Many lurkers will eventually become posters. I lurked for months before posting. At least you can't get crowded out on a message board like you can in a chat room. So, you lurkers....post already! It won't kill you to have your every opinion called into question! (Mord is very thorough!) ;D

He's the Official UMA Anal Probe.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Scatter

Quote from: charp13 on August 08, 2013, 06:47:15 PM
I lurked for at least 2 years. I just kept looking at the monster room pictures.  And after having read so many informative & friendly posts, I realized that UMA members will never think I'm an oddball   :)   I would have never known that so many different types of people collected monster toys & treasures, had I not typed in "Universal Monsters" back when I got my first computer (2001). My kids were in college and they had new computers, and my husband works for a computer company. But I never thought in a million years that I would enjoy the cyber-company of so many cool people. Everyone here has so much to share & I am so happy to have had a chance to interact with everyone.

I'm against purging the membership rolls based solely on the fact that we might have lost Char if we did that!!
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html