Poll: Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff

Started by barkleythedoggo, February 01, 2023, 08:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barkleythedoggo

Hi all! I was wondering if folks here considered Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff as part of the classic Universal Horror film series?

i know it was made by Universal and stars several icons of the series... and yet it doesnt feature of the famous monster and Universal has never added it in any of its collections

thoughts? :angel: :angel: :laugh: :angel:

BigShadow

I'm not sure I understand your question.  Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff is a classic and a horror movie, with some comedy.  Is it part of the Universal horror film series?  Well, It's from Universal, and it's a horror movie, so I'd say, yes.  Maybe you mean is it part of the Universal Monster movie series?  Then no, it is not.  So I'm not really sure how to answer your poll.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast

barkleythedoggo

Quote from: BigShadow on February 01, 2023, 08:24:41 PM
I'm not sure I understand your question.  Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff is a classic and a horror movie, with some comedy.  Is it part of the Universal horror film series?  Well, It's from Universal, and it's a horror movie, so I'd say, yes.  Maybe you mean is it part of the Universal Monster movie series?  Then no, it is not.  So I'm not really sure how to answer your poll.
I guess I mean if someone said "what's universal horror" and mentioned Dracula and Frankenstein and then this movie would that be accurate lol

Mostly I am asking bc I just got billy grays autograph and weighing whether to include it in my collection w the other universal autos like ricou browning and Donnie dunagan

BigShadow

Then I'd say "yes."  Horror is pretty general and can encompass all of the sub-genres.  Now if someone said "what is Universal monsters" then no I wouldn't include it.  But if someone said "what is Universal horror comedy" then yes I'd include it, even along with the other "Abbott and Costello meet..." movies with monsters.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast

barkleythedoggo

Quote from: BigShadow on February 01, 2023, 08:56:45 PM
Then I'd say "yes."  Horror is pretty general and can encompass all of the sub-genres.  Now if someone said "what is Universal monsters" then no I wouldn't include it.  But if someone said "what is Universal horror comedy" then yes I'd include it, even along with the other "Abbott and Costello meet..." movies with monsters.
One thing that interests me is when you check the various collections universal has put out, obviously Meets Frankenstein is on mostly. But Meets Invisible Man/Mummy can be too. They draw the line at "the killer"

zombiehorror

It is listed as a horror/comedy so, yes it is part of Universal's classic horror film library. The reason it wasn't part of the "meet" collection on home media is because that collection was titled "Meet the Monsters" and A&C meet the Killer doesn't feature a classic monster.

barkleythedoggo

Quote from: zombiehorror on February 02, 2023, 07:25:01 AM
It is listed as a horror/comedy so, yes it is part of Universal's classic horror film library. The reason it wasn't part of the "meet" collection on home media is because that collection was titled "Meet the Monsters" and A&C meet the Killer doesn't feature a classic monster.
Good point. Jw why some of the collections listed out on wiki include things like she wolf of London. You know? That gets a distinction but not this . Hm

zombiehorror

Quote from: barkleythedoggo on February 02, 2023, 10:26:27 PM
....some of the collections listed out on wiki include things like she wolf of London. You know? That gets a distinction but not this . Hm

That is added to The Wolf Man collection simply because it has "wolf" in the title.

Lunkenstein

I voted yes. There are enough eerie elements like the cavern, the great Karloff and dead bodies.
The chemistry between Boris and Lou is so good and funny during their scene when Karloff is trying to get him to kill himself. "You're going to commit suicide, if it's the last thing you do." Lol
Paul