Vintage monsters and a cash crunch? Your experiences? (if any)

Started by Anton Phibes, April 27, 2011, 03:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anton Phibes

Has anyone here been forced because of a pressing financial issues to sell some of your vintage items?  If so--did you regret it later? Just curious, as I have just recently been hit with the news that my wife is going to be laid off for about a month, and my paltry salary isnt going to cover the bills.  Unfortunately my monster items are starting to look like they may have to possibly be considered for sale to cover some of the mess. I would like to avoid it if I could, but I am thinking worst case scenerio and wondered if others have had a similar experience. I think I am going to regret anything I may have to sell off because I will never be able to buy any of it back at a later date due to my no longer being employed at my prior job, and having a new one that just doesnt leave any wiggle room for toys.

mjaycox

Quote from: Anton Phibes on April 27, 2011, 03:44:46 AM
Has anyone here been forced because of a pressing financial issues to sell some of your vintage items?  If so--did you regret it later?

Hang on tightly...let go lightly.

Seriously. It's just stuff. You'll see it again. And you'll be amazed how easy it is to live without it. I have sold things in the past when money was tight. Some I have since re-collected. Some not.

I am sorry you are having trouble. You have my sympathy. 

Matt
"I don't want to live in the past. I just don't want to lose it."
     -The Two Jakes

toys-of-terror

I have been in this boat so many times, I have at one time had all the big boy toys, Mad Monster Lab, Complete set of hamilton invaders boxed collection, A complete line of EC Comics and due to financial problems have had no choice but to sell them, the wife lost her job, I had medical bills and a surgery to pay for, My daughter is going to college,  but understand this is just stuff,and always remember your family and responsibilities come first. I have been able to get most of what i truly want back one way or another. If you scower the internet, yard sales,flea markents, toy shows, you will find it again or find something at a great price you can trade for the items you want back. I have now rebuilt most of collection and trust me i didn't pay much for it, I am trader, i am very knowledged in other areas like posters, comics, toys, antiques, i'll find stuff and sell it for my monster fund so they wife doesn't kill me for spending bill money. It can be done. Don't let it bother you brother, I have been there more than once and it hurts like hell to watch it walk away or to pack it up and take to the post office but as soon as its out of sight it quickly subsides.

Toy Ranch

For a while, I collected (non-monster) 60's figurines that were made in Japan and had rabbit fur glued to them...  because that's what I could afford.

I've never hesitated to sell monster toys or any toys when financial circumstances demanded it. 

Tough times have forced me to sell my entire collection three times in my life, you can always buy it back.  The hunt is fun and I've made lifelong friends as a result.  It hurts sure but it's not a fatal wound, you get better and stronger IMO.

Hepcat

Quote from: Anton Phibes on April 27, 2011, 03:44:46 AMHas anyone here been forced because of a pressing financial issues to sell some of your vintage items? ... Just curious, as I have just recently been hit with the news that my wife is going to be laid off for about a month, and my paltry salary isnt going to cover the bills.

That's sad. Have you tried some less drastic solutions? You can run free ads on Craigslist for say a courier service around town. Then you or your wife make deliveries by car, bike or foot. Have you thought of delivering newspapers, handbills or even pizza? You can also run ads in Craigslist and deliver computer printed flyers in the mailboxes of houses up for sale, advertising your moving company. But what you do then is lay off the business to another moving company, in exchange for a piece of the action i.e. commission. Just contact a few movers to see if they want the business you generate. If they say no, just tell them "Alright. I'll just go across the street to offer the business to one of your competitors." They'll stop you before you even turn toward the door.

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Radioactive Rod Whitenack

I've been thinking of selling some stuff, but with the economy the way it is, I've assumed there aren't many buyers out there and the ones that are out there are looking for amazing deals from desperate people. I don't want to nickle and dime out my collection. I don't want to end up selling something that is normally valued around $100 for $20 to someone who will just turn around and try to get $70 for it. I know it's just "stuff", but I don't want to get completely taken advantage of just because times are tough.

Anton Phibes

All of these thoughts have gone through my mind. The "stuff" argument especially. However, like Radiactive Whitesnake, I hate to give it away for nearly nothing.  :'( :angel:

Toy Ranch

Quote from: Anton Phibes on April 27, 2011, 06:33:55 PM
All of these thoughts have gone through my mind. The "stuff" argument especially. However, like Radiactive Whitesnake, I hate to give it away for nearly nothing.  :'( :angel:

You don't have to do that, either.  But over the Summer, prices normally go down and things are harder to sell.  So if you are going to sell some stuff, better to do it ASAP than to wait.  Or wait until Fall...  otherwise you are going to be giving it away.

Hepcat

There was a thread here about why some people still resist getting a cell phone. That though is one of the first places I'd cut back if I were facing a cash crunch, that and cable/satellite TV services. For some families that saves $200 per month. I hate paying the bastiches every month and being at their mercy.

:-[
Collecting! It's what I do!

Illoman

Anton, sorry to hear this. I've been there, too. When we first got married I had to sell a lot of stuff. Some of it I did regret selling, like my complete run of Tomb of Dracula comic books that I faithfully bought every month, even while on vacation. Those hurt. Other stuff I rarely think about. It's just part of life I guess. God bless you!!

Scatter

Anton, that's tough brother..........sorry to hear it. Well, half the fun of having a collection was in the getting anyway. If you have to sell it, even starting over holds some thrills. Here's hoping it doesn't come to that though.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Anton Phibes

Well--I have an offer of $600 for my Bowen Fantastic Four statue set. So I am prolly gonna sell them, and take them down from feebay. Better to sell some newer comic hero items than my monsters. :angel:

Wicked Lester

Quote from: Anton Phibes on April 27, 2011, 09:42:23 PM
Well--I have an offer of $600 for my Bowen Fantastic Four statue set. So I am prolly gonna sell them, and take them down from feebay. Better to sell some newer comic hero items than my monsters. :angel:

There ya go and that helps. That $600 can feed your family for at LEAST a month or more.

I've said before that I have never had the $ for all my interests so if I wanted to get into another collecting area I had to let things I had go.

I could use some x-tra $ now due do just the plain old crap economy and racked up medical bills. I've tried to sell some decent items pretty cheap over the last few mos but have had almost no takers. Seems like you almost have to give it away unless it is HTF.
Sorry about you situation but look on the bright side,at least the wife is not totally losing her job.

WL

yendor1152

If you find that selling your collection--or part of it--is unavoidable, DON'T lowball it. Never, ever do that, especially on eBay. True, there are people looking for bargains, and they won't bid on your mint Castle of Frankenstein #3 because they absolutely refused to spend more than $25.00 on any vintage item. But if you're patient, someone, somewhere will bite. It might take a few auctions and relisting...but it'll happen.

This entire "oh, the recession is affecting collectors" thing is a bunch of crap. I'll give you an example why, and it's an eye-opener. In 2009, I received 8 freebie contributor copies of Famous Monsters of Filmland #249 (I had an article in there, which his a whole 'nuther story). Because the situation between myself and the Ferry camp had quickly deteriorated, I disowned the article (for those interested in why, pm me) and thought very seriously of just tossing the comps. Instead, I put them on a shelf and forgot about them.

Approximately 6 months later, I decided to list them on eBay. Now, here comes the shocking part--the part that convinced me that collectors will indeed pony up, if it's something they want for their collection.

Every single copy of that issue went for $80+! I had many messages off-board from collectors begging me for other copies. Alas, I only had the 8, which I sold. The lowest went for $80.00. The highest went for $150.00! These were all in mint shape, and I'd paid absolutely nothing for them. Believe me, that softened the blow I'd received from the Ferry camp.

So, don't let your collections, especially if it's vintage, go for peanuts. That's what you'll really regret in the long rung. If you've got magazines, split them up and sell them individually. Don't lowball. Any vintage item is rare, remember that! If people are willing to pay over 80 hard-earned bucks for a cheesy magazine less than a year old, think of what the right collector will pay for your stuff!

Good luck - Rod