Don Post Styled Jumbos

Started by FRANKENSTEIN455, May 01, 2023, 03:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FRANKENSTEIN455

Talented Canadian artist Francis O'Donoughue has an interesting take on the classic Don Post Calendar Dracula and Glenn Strange Frankenstein masks.  I always liked them larger in size but these guys take it to an all new level of BIG. Francis did a great job sculpting these pieces. They appear to be quite accurate jumbos. When I spoke with him last, Francis said he has plans for the jumbo Don Post stylized Boris Karloff Frankenstein next. I think it is fun seeing all the interesting and fun ideas coming from this new breed of talented young artists.  Personally, I am looking forward to the stylized Karloff next as that has always been my all-time favorite mask.  Good things also come in large packages as well. ;)

His Dracula Masks

Dr.Terror

Those are pretty cool.  Looks like he's using the reissues as referance.  Shame its not the Newman Drac because it would finally be the right size.😁
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

Sir Masksalot

Haha, they'd go perfect in a Mardi Gras parade! His Frankenstein looks a lot like the DPS original.
I wonder if Mr O'D is incorporating 3-D scanning technology into his sculptures.

MonsterBaker666

Beautiful.  Tho I wish someone would make small scale busts of the Don Post masks. 

Dr.Terror

Quote from: MonsterBaker666 on May 01, 2023, 09:37:24 AM
Beautiful.  Tho I wish someone would make small scale busts of the Don Post masks.

TOTS has the license and they plan on doing different things other than masks.   Might see ornaments , mini busts, or even figures.
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

Kidagain

Wow these are super cool, always had a problem with mask makers making their products a bit on the snug size. With these you will need some stuffing inserted if you wanted to wear but I love it. Also are they for sale in the future?

Haunted hearse

If somebody wanted to dress up as a Universal Monster bobble head, these could be perfect.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Dr.Terror

Btw, anyone know what magazine this is from?

FRANKENSTEIN455

A couple of more pictures of the sculpting process and the finished product.

A photo Francis sent to me of the Frankie mold -

Francis with the finished Jumbo Frank -

Sir Masksalot

I'd restyle the hair were it mine but the greenish paintjob looks good. I generally
prefer light grey on Frankenstein but he made it work. Is that his personal collection
in the bedroom shot? I see a shelf of Death Studios characters and a bunch of giant
Frankenstein masks with nasty teeth and Ratfink noses.

Dr.Terror

Thats a better sculpt than the reissue Frank imo.  Nice and organically lumpy.

Wolfman

Interesting, but not my cup of tea. Now, if they were Godzilla or Gorgo heads...

JP

FRANKENSTEIN455

Quote from: Sir Masksalot on May 07, 2023, 07:15:04 AM
I'd restyle the hair were it mine but the greenish paintjob looks good. I generally
prefer light grey on Frankenstein but he made it work. Is that his personal collection
in the bedroom shot? I see a shelf of Death Studios characters and a bunch of giant
Frankenstein masks with nasty teeth and Ratfink noses.

Yes, I believe those Death Studio masks are from his personal collection. He has definitely drawn a major influence from Jeff Keim of Death Studios in his various sculpting endeavors.  Here are a few pictures of his other mask offerings.  The young artists of today have some fun ideas.  The jumbos are probably just a bit too large for my tastes'.  ;) However, I believe larger versions of all the Don Post classics would be well received by most Post fans.

Dr.Terror

I am not a fan of those Death Studios and Devils Workshop inspired paints schemes.   Be nice to see them with a stipple job.

Lewis1618

Are these for sale? I would love to get the Glenn strange frankenstein.
Thanks, Jeff
Lewis1626(*at*)sbcglobal.net