NEW UNIVERSAL CLASSIC MONSTERS LAND for Fantastic Worlds - Universal Orlando

Started by Monsters For Sale, June 07, 2019, 09:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsters For Sale

ADAM

TheMadScientist

Looks like it's officially official that Universal Monsters will have a section in the new Epic Universe park: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4u83ncMjuE

They show some images of the monsters at around 3:52 in the video. They're sort of "modernized" versions of Frankenstein, Wolfman and Dracula, which does make me wonder if those will be how they're depicted in the park. I'm not too surprised, and the designs could definitely look worse. That said, I hope we still get plenty of stuff with the classic versions (on merch at least).

Overall, very excited this thing is actually gonna happen, though it's essentially been confirmed for awhile now.

Mike Scott

There's that word, "re-imagined", again. I thought it was imagined pretty good the first time.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Monsters For Sale

They show a couple families of four strolling around the wondrous new attraction.

They don't show the shoulder to shoulder crowds waiting in line in the blistering summer heat.
ADAM

TheMadScientist

Quote from: Mike Scott on January 30, 2024, 07:01:11 PM
There's that word, "re-imagined", again. I thought it was imagined pretty good the first time.

Yeah, upon more reflection my feelings are a bit more negative regarding the character designs for the park (particularly Dracula, specifically his costume).

I get that presenting the monsters 100% as they were in the original movies could come off as somewhat cheesy if they're trying to make a legitimately scary ride. So I understand them wanting to modernize the character designs a bit. That said, I still think they should have stayed truer to their iconic looks. Particularly with Dracula, since Wolfman and Frankenstein don't bug me too much. Hell, if they wanted to make Dracula a bit more menacing, they did a pretty good modernization in the haunted house a few years ago at HHN. 

So while I think the designs could be worse, the Dracula design could also be much better. I don't think Universal understands that part of the appeal is the look of the character (cape, crest, widows peak, etc). Without that he just feels like a generic Dracula, rather than the iconic Universal Dracula.

Hopefully the classic characters will still be prominent at Epic Universe, on merchandise at least. Still very excited for the park, but do wish the designs were a bit closer to the originals.

Mike Scott

Quote from: TheMadScientist on January 31, 2024, 11:58:45 PM
I get that presenting the monsters 100% as they were in the original movies could come off as somewhat cheesy

And they would have to pay the relatives.  ;D
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on February 01, 2024, 12:04:09 AM

And therein lies the rub between Universal executives and us.  For us it is a matter of love.  For them it is a matter of money.

Apparently, never the twain shall meet.
ADAM

TheMadScientist

Quote from: Mike Scott on February 01, 2024, 12:04:09 AM

I'm sure that's part of it. Honestly, I'd be fine with versions of the characters that more or less look like the generic versions you see on a lot of merch (below for an example of what I mean). To me, those are still identifiably the Universal versions of the characters (the Universal version of Frankenstein, the Universal version of Dracula, The Wolf Man as opposed to just a werewolf, etc).

Especially with Dracula, when you mess with the outfit and cape, he just becomes a generic version of Dracula imo. That's the main thing I don't like about the design. The head and face I'm fine with.

TheMadScientist

For reference, this is what Dracula looked like in the HHN maze from years back. They're obviously going for a much scarier look and feel, but the overall look still hews closer to the classic Universal Dracula. If they toned down the blood, I wouldn't have an issue with a similar look for a more modern-looking Epic Universe Dracula.

zombiehorror

It looks to me like they are going for generic versions of Benicio's Wolfman (2010) and Van Helsing's Dracula (2004); Frankenstein looks to be conceptualized off Van Helsing's monster without the steam punk accessories.